(Topic ID: 275815)

First buy - NIB Star Trek premium - ok choice?

By Scottwashere

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I don’t need it to be a perfect choice I just wanna make sure I’m not overlooking something I will have a big regret over.

I have space for only one machine. I have never played the game but I feel pretty confident I would love it based on the amazing reviews and descriptions of its theme and how it plays. My favorite games are at T2, fun house and Adam’s family. I am purchasing from pinballs.com for $7700 including shipping. He’s going to give me $250 off and take away the Ballys 1979 Star Trek machine that doesn’t work and has been taking up valuable space in my house for a decade.

I know there are no guarantees with any machine but I am thinking new is good for me because I’m completely not handy and I don’t want to spend time thinking about how to get repairs done.

Any ideas, advice, criticisms or support is appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

pinballs.com is a fine choice but Star Trek is worth WAY over $250 if it’s in good condition.

You’ll be happy with #star_trek_le , it’s a fine game.

#3 3 years ago

You’ll love it.The only thing better would be the LE version.Good luck

#4 3 years ago

Good move for sure. These "relatively newer" Stern games are also really reliable machines, in my opinion. They can really take a beating. This ST game in particular is also super fun both for new and advanced players. Premium version also has really nice red powder-coated armour, so gives a nice upgraded look, too. Congrats on the purchase. I think you'll dig that game for quite a while.

#5 3 years ago

I'm assuming you are a Star Trek fan since you currently have the Bally version, and the Stern version is solid and fun to play, and the Premium is a better looking and playing game than the pro version. Personally, if I had to go down to one machine, I'm not sure this is the one I would keep.

#6 3 years ago

I’d try to get this as close to $7k or under as possible. Great first game!

#7 3 years ago

Destroy The Drill! Excellent game pro or premium. Owned both, now have premium.

#8 3 years ago

I have bought three of my machines from pinballs.com/automated services and haven't had a problem. They are local and Mike has been great to deal with. The one machine I didn't get from him was actually the Star Trek Premium. It's a great game and has that Ritchie flow so if you like T2 I'm sure you will like the ST. It is also plays quite a bit like Spider-man and AFM if you have ever played either of those. Only had to do one solder fix with a loose wire in the several years I've had it and I'm the second owner. It has been very reliable for me.

#9 3 years ago

As for the distributor you are buying from, Automated Services (pinballs.com) is VERY solid and can be relied on to take care of any issues that come up. I've personally purchased several of my NIB machines from them.

#10 3 years ago

Star Trek premium is a great game. $7700 seems a bit high and $250 for a project Bally Star Trek seems a bit low. $7K total including shipping would probably be reasonable, at least to me.

#11 3 years ago

See if someone here will sell you one. $7700 for an “old” game that isn’t too hard to find is too much. $250 for your game is too little. Unless it’s a brand new release, try to buy from fellow hobbyists.

#12 3 years ago

I can’t speak to price but Star Trek Premium is an excellent game. You won’t be disappointed.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Star Trek premium is a great game. $7700 seems a bit high and $250 for a project Bally Star Trek seems a bit low. $7K total including shipping would probably be reasonable, at least to me.

I was thinking this as well, but it gets really tricky when you are pricing trades. $7700 is their list price for this, but since they only have one they may not be willing to move off the price.

They will probably fix your old machine and sell it for somewhere in the $1250 neighborhood, or if its in bad shape part it out. If the backglass itself is in pristine condition, you can probably get $250 just for the glass.

#15 3 years ago

The Star Trek new Stern version I really enjoy, nice flow and shots selection. It’s one of my favorites by them.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Scottwashere:

I am purchasing from pinballs.com for $7700 including shipping.

Unless you are dead set on a NIB machine, there is a Star Trek LE out there for close to $1500 less. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/99729

#17 3 years ago

The deal you make is up to you but Star Trek is an excellent, fast-paced game. I purchased my Pro version in June and have nearly 600 plays on it already. The Premium is that much sweeter to look at.

If you have the chance, I would recommend downloading The Pinball Arcade to your PC and purchasing the Star Trek table for it. The physics aren't perfect in my opinion, but you'll be able to play the game before committing thousands to your purchase.

#18 3 years ago

just for reference I had my star trek premium vault listed for sale at $6500 with 250 plays on it. July 2019 build.

#19 3 years ago

Decent game, bad price.
He’s also very low on your Bally Star Trek.

#20 3 years ago

The game is a great choice. I have a buddy that has one, and it’s both fun to play and great looking. If you’re a Trek fan, and who in their right mind is not, then this game will be great for you.

You will always pay more for a new game (and get less for a used game) when you buy from a “store” since they have to pay for rent, employees, inventory, etc. however, if it is a reliable business who will stand behind what they are selling That’s worth something. You won’t have to deal with the hassles of buying and selling from/to private parties. Kind of like trading in a car to a dealership: absolutely, you could do better on the deal, but is it worth the work?

#21 3 years ago

Perfect. Great approachable and playable machine even if your not into the whole theme thing. But much better if you are!

#22 3 years ago

Great machine and Mike at Pinballs.com is the best to work with. I’ve bought the majority of my games from him.

#23 3 years ago

great for your first pin (I'm not focusing on price and just talking about how much fun the pin is, as well as deep enough of that is has lasting power in a small or large collection)

#24 3 years ago

I’ve only played the Pro, but that’s already a solid game, with staying power. DMD graphics not the best, but great sounds, rules and it really shoots great.

#25 3 years ago

I have bought Star Trek pro twice. Definitely a great game. The premium is even better. Can be enjoyed by beginners and advanced players.

#26 3 years ago

Thank you all. I was able to buy with confidence thanks to your replies.
I got the machine yesterday. Got excellent service from mike at pinballs.com com and he did come down on the price a little bit. Played five hours yesterday and already took out all five of the pre-programmed high scores. Game is fast and beautiful and I can see how I will enjoy this for many years to come. Thanks again everyone.

#27 3 years ago

I got the machine yesterday. Got excellent service from mike at pinballs.com com and he did come down on the price a little bit. Played five hours yesterday and already took out all five of the pre-programmed high scores. Game is fast and beautiful and I can see how I will enjoy this for many years to come. Thanks again everyone.

Congratulations on the purchase. Really great choice. Welcome to the club. I know you said you only have room for one machine, but let’s see how many you have this time next year

#28 3 years ago

Room for one...lol
I said the same thing and Iam already looking to buy my 2nd pin by the end of this year

#29 3 years ago

Congrats! Fantastic game. Here’s a pointer; there’s an adjustable nut on the wire form on the exit of the warp ramp. If you’re warp ramp returns aren’t coming back smooth to the upper flipper, play with that adjustment. Warp ramp is one of my favorite shots in pinball. Congrats again and enjoy.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from PappaDubz:

Room for one...lol

True story...

When I purchased my first pinball machine, a NIB LOTR and the one I still own, the distributor I purchased it from had asked how many machines I had and I told him this is my first machine. He then asked how many I was looking to get for my collection, bewildered by his question I asked him "why I would ever need more than one?" ... knowingly, all he said was "you'll see."

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Congrats! Fantastic game. Here’s a pointer; there’s an adjustable nut on the wire form on the exit of the warp ramp. If you’re warp ramp returns aren’t coming back smooth to the upper flipper, play with that adjustment. Warp ramp is one of my favorite shots in pinball. Congrats again and enjoy.

Thanks. I’m shocked about how challenging that ramp is. First adjustment I plan to make is to lower it to three shots for the extra bowl instead of the five that is preset.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

The game is a great choice. I have a buddy that has one, and it’s both fun to play and great looking. If you’re a Trek fan, and who in their right mind is not, then this game will be great for you.
You will always pay more for a new game (and get less for a used game) when you buy from a “store” since they have to pay for rent, employees, inventory, etc. however, if it is a reliable business who will stand behind what they are selling That’s worth something. You won’t have to deal with the hassles of buying and selling from/to private parties. Kind of like trading in a car to a dealership: absolutely, you could do better on the deal, but is it worth the work?

this was fabulous advice. Thank you

#33 3 years ago

One great way of learning how to play a new machine is watching other people play it. I don’t have that option, at the moment no one is allowed in my cave for pandemic reasons. How else can I learn to get better at this game? I want to know everything.

#34 3 years ago

One great way of learning how to play a new machine is watching other people play it. I don’t have that option, at the moment no one is allowed in my cave for pandemic reasons. How else can I learn to get better at this game? I want to know everything.

Youtube! Search for gameplay vids, tutorials to help explain rules and strategies.

#35 3 years ago

Save the cash and buy a PRO......

#36 3 years ago

YouTube, twitch, and discussions in the Star Trek owners thread.

#37 3 years ago

Aside from YouTube, this should help:

http://tiltforums.com/t/star-trek-wiki/456

#38 3 years ago

Just PLAY the game IMO. I love learning new things on my own when playing a game, I think that's one of the best things about pinball and keeps the game exciting. If you already know what to do and have seen it done, it loses the appeal of discovering it. I also enjoy buying a new game early in production, because then you can watch the game change as the code updates roll out. It's neat seeing someone's vision come to life with each update!

#39 3 years ago

Papa.org has many tutorials. Bowen Kerins bkerins made many of them. Here is one on #star_trek

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wYZuLK6ShUk

#40 3 years ago

I'm late to the party and just catching up.

ST is a great game that you will enjoy for a long time. PAPA videos and YouTube clips will help guide you to better/different ways to play.

How are you enjoying it so far? Did you trade in the original ST pin?

P.S. There is a certain piece of mind buying from a distributor, but I would recommend buying a high quality second-hand pin from a trusted seller on pinside in the future, however. Just like cars (and everything else), the first owner takes the hit on price.

#41 3 years ago

Yes! Thanks!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-buy-nib-star-trek-premium-ok-choice?hl=rivv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.