(Topic ID: 150874)

DONE DONE AND DONE ***first attempt at cabinet restoration(pinbot).

By cosmokramer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160618_205105_(resized).jpg
087_(resized).jpg
090_(resized).jpg
091_(resized).jpg
092_(resized).jpg
036_(resized).jpg
032_(resized).jpg
031_(resized).jpg
026_(resized).jpg
012_(resized).jpg
011_(resized).jpg
005_(resized).jpg
11135097_(resized).jpg
069_(resized).jpg
064_(resized).jpg
068_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hd60609.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 8 years ago

I wouldn't think you'd need to clear over base. Are you asking to be ultra conservative? Like when repairing a backglass - clear, so you could remove your last layer if you didn't like it? In theory, with all your hard work, you could clear the base, then if you had a problem with your stencil, you should be remove down to the clear over base.

This should be an unnecessary layer after base, as I would think you shouldn't have problems with the stencils. Then I'd heard many talk of clearing the final cabinet for an added layer of protection.

Keep up the great thread... I'm a month behind you... Gorgar is apart and in the shop!

3 weeks later
#170 8 years ago

I agree with putting down the grey or white before the color in theory, but I don't know how many actually do this. I don't think Williams or Bally laid a white or grey layer first before putting on a color over a dark base. I wasn't planning on doing this with my Gorgar cabinet, but it has crossed my mind several times.

May not need a poll, but it would be great to hear anyone who has restored a cabinet on whether they laid the white/grey before the lighter color on black base.

Looking good Cosmo! Are you happy with the yellow, once you sprayed the lighter coat first?

#206 7 years ago

I think they look fine. Think of your imperfections like the original factory overspray... fix the obvious ones that can easily be fixed. The small ones just add character.

Are you happy with the paint brand? Pinball stencils recommends Krylon or the Rustoleum 2x... Think the Rustoleum 2x would be different?

3 weeks later
#235 7 years ago

Rich looking! Love the color depth. Nice job.

1 week later
#260 7 years ago

Had this happen on a few motorcycle tins... Doesn't look like orange peel. My gun started taking a dump. Needed a good cleaning. Make sure those little disposable filters are clean/new. I also remember moving too fast, worrying about a run, so it didn't cover right. My gun might have been a little too far away as well.

Fine line... put it on thick enough with slower movements, but don't get the runs!!!

1 week later
#282 7 years ago

Looking great! Way beyond good...

1 week later
#302 7 years ago

Monster Bashes are known for their cabinet wrinkling around the legs. Whoever restored mine used the smaller metal ones that are standard on new pins. I think they even come in plastic. Might want to consider the smaller ones as you did such a great job on the cabinet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hd60609.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-attempt-at-cabinet-restoration-lets-see-how-it-turns-out?tu=hd60609 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.