(Topic ID: 150874)

DONE DONE AND DONE ***first attempt at cabinet restoration(pinbot).

By cosmokramer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160618_205105_(resized).jpg
087_(resized).jpg
090_(resized).jpg
091_(resized).jpg
092_(resized).jpg
036_(resized).jpg
032_(resized).jpg
031_(resized).jpg
026_(resized).jpg
012_(resized).jpg
011_(resized).jpg
005_(resized).jpg
11135097_(resized).jpg
069_(resized).jpg
064_(resized).jpg
068_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cosmokramer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have been reading a lot of restoration threads and thought it would be fun to give it a try. Since I have zero artistic ability, a playfield is out of the question but a cabinet restoration seems do able for me (even though I have no painting experience what so ever). I bought a pinbot last week with a really nice backglass and a pretty good playfield with just minimal wear at eyes (more on that later) but the cabinet is in rough shape so I thought this would be a perfect candidate.
056_(resized).jpg056_(resized).jpg

this game works 100% so my focus is just the cab
016_(resized).jpg016_(resized).jpg
024_(resized).jpg024_(resized).jpg
013_(resized).jpg013_(resized).jpg
022_(resized).jpg022_(resized).jpg

removed backglass and packed up for safe keeping
029_(resized).jpg029_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

now I wanted to remove the playfield but wasn't sure what to do with it. I couldn't just set it down for fear of breaking something and wanted the ability to strip the playfield to clean it, install new rubbers etc. so I fabricated some legs that used existing fasteners on playfield
056_(resized).jpg056_(resized).jpg
061_(resized).jpg061_(resized).jpg
063_(resized).jpg063_(resized).jpg
065_(resized).jpg065_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago

spent a few hours tearing it down, labeling harness connections and mapping out the ground braid...
142_(resized).jpg142_(resized).jpg
143_(resized).jpg143_(resized).jpg
144_(resized).jpg144_(resized).jpg
145_(resized).jpg145_(resized).jpg

found some damage in this corner. I will replace the corner cleat, separate the corner and fill it with glue, then secure with ratchet strap overnight...
141_(resized).jpg141_(resized).jpg

didn't want the switch stacks to come apart so I backed screws out enough to slide a zip tie behind it to secure it before removal...
132_(resized).jpg132_(resized).jpg

We are done for the night, Ashley is wiped out from all the excitement....
146_(resized).jpg146_(resized).jpg

Tomorrow I should be able to finish the teardown and get the cab pieces to my shop to begin sanding and repair..

#7 8 years ago

Should the coin door and visible carraige bolt heads be sprayed with the same black paint as the cab base paint or is it a different paint?

Also, I am planning on spraying cab semi gloss black, using krylon rattle cans for yellow and red, then shooting with 2 part automotive clear... any problem with that combination?

20160131_145819_(resized).jpg20160131_145819_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

those playfield legs look exactly like the ones I have for my garage

Quoted from arcademojo:

Hey this looks like my Pinbot!! Please give full detail of everything you do. Those PF legs are nice but if you could build them, you could probably build a rotisserie.

yes, I will fabricate a rotisserie soon, I just don't need it yet.

#11 8 years ago

Using what I learned in vids guide to side rail removal they came off easily
020_(resized).jpg020_(resized).jpg
019_(resized).jpg019_(resized).jpg
the corners are worse than I thought...3 out of 4 are compromised, and I may have to replace the back panel but should be an easy fix
032_(resized).jpg032_(resized).jpg
034_(resized).jpg034_(resized).jpg
both pieces ready to go to the shop for the next step...
055_(resized).jpg055_(resized).jpg

I have a friend who also has a pinbot but his is missing the topper...using mine as a template I am going to try to replicate one... It wont be an exact match but it will be close, it will work, and will be better than nothing...I will probably start a separate thread for that

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, you changed your last picture, which cancelled my joke. Buzzkill...

your quick...I edited it instantly...then tried to figure out what you were saying when I looked back at my last picture

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Great Bryan Kelley vid on coin doors.
» YouTube video

Quoted from dudah:

The above is a great video but it's so freakin hard! First I went to every store (Michael's, Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Wal-Mart, Pep Boys) and couldn't find the paint he was talking about. Plus the spritzing is extremely difficult.
I do all my arcade coin doors/bolts with a metal primer, sand, satin, sand, satin. I personally love the finish. Try it out on some spare bolts and see what you like.
As for the back panel, check this thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-wood-repair

thanks for the links and tips

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

If you have the equipment and ability to spray 2PAC I would go with urethane auto paints for the base and primer coats as well.
Rattle cans take way too long to completely dry by comparison.

I will be using the rattle cans for yellow and red only, I have the equipment to spray 2pac I guess we will find out if I have the skills.

#22 8 years ago

I believe this to be lead based paint so I opted for a chemical stripper instead of sanding all the paint off. Picked up this stuff at home depot for about 8 or 9 bucks a can (found out you need 2 cans for 1 cabinet.)
005_(resized).jpg005_(resized).jpg

the first attempt I did not put it on thick enough and met with limited success...
007_(resized).jpg007_(resized).jpg
second try was better...
008_(resized).jpg008_(resized).jpg
but finally found out you really have to put in on thick for it to burn through the paint...then it was easy...

I ended up finishing the can of stripper and have half the head and half of the cab paint free, It will probably be a few days until I can get the time to finish the rest of the paint removal then on to sanding and filler.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Not sure if you've seen these. But they are super great quality.
http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=492
And I'll also add....for the geat quality, I feel they are a very fair price.

yes, I saw an Evil Knieval painted using those and it looked great, I will be using those.

I finished stripping all the paint off cab and head, taking it to the shop tomorrow.
I also wanted to add I went to home depot to get more stripper and used this instead of what is pictured in the thread earlier, It is from the same company but worked much better, the paint just slid off... one gallon was $22 and will do 2 cabs
046_(resized).jpg046_(resized).jpg

#26 8 years ago

I have had quite a few people ask me to be more detailed with how long each step takes and how much this project costs. I will try to include this information along the way. Keep in mind as far as hours go, I am not the fastest worker but I work steady with few if any breaks. Also dollar amounts given will be for material for this job only (for example I bought a 4x8 sheet of 23/32 plywood for cab repairs for $24 but only used half the sheet so cost for this job is $12...I will use other half of plywood for next project). I have all the tools needed for the wood work and all the gear to spray the paint so factor in your own costs if you have to rent or buy tools.
023_(resized).jpg023_(resized).jpg

So far the first step was teardown, bagging, and labeling parts...approx. 6 hours...$0 spent

Chemical strip paint, with prep and clean-up...approx. 3 hours (however if I had used the stronger stripper in the first place time would have been 1.5 hours). $15 spent

Purchased heavy duty leg plates/cab braces (thanks MustangPaul) $20 spent

Not too much to report on the project at this point (I got side tracked with another quick project https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polishing-a-turd#post-2961504 ). I finished the chemical strip and brought the cab and head to my dads woodworking shop for the sanding, repair, and filler. I started with a palm sander and 60 grit to start to clean up the wood. Upon further inspection I changed the plan to include replacing both the front and back panels of cab due to soft corners...
021_(resized).jpg021_(resized).jpg
026_(resized).jpg026_(resized).jpg
025_(resized).jpg025_(resized).jpg

Popped this blister near where the head mounts, I will fix it with bondo...
Sides lookin good, next step is to cut new front and back panels...
028_(resized).jpg028_(resized).jpg

#30 8 years ago

Head ready for minor repairs...

20160211_153425_(resized).jpg20160211_153425_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#31 8 years ago

Got a chance to do a little work today, been busy lately so have not had time to get to the shop. I removed the back panel of the cabinet to get ready to manufacture a replacement. It came out fairly easy with no surprises...
107_(resized).jpg107_(resized).jpg
I went around the entire inside and outside of cab with palm sander and 60 grit, it did a great job cleaning the inside of the cabinet...
114_(resized).jpg114_(resized).jpg

It looks like the front panel will be salvageable after all but this corner needs some work...
109_(resized).jpg109_(resized).jpg
I cleaned the joint and cut a new corner cleat...then separated the corner to fill with glue...
115_(resized).jpg115_(resized).jpg
After applying the glue I clamped it and hit it with some staples, now will let it sit and dry...
116_(resized).jpg116_(resized).jpg
I was able to bondo the head and hit it with some 100 grit, its looking good and will be ready for primer as soon as I sand up to 220. The next chance I get to work on it I should be able to cut and install the back panel, bondo the cab and sand up to 220...then it will be time for primer...

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from MarchAFB:

I just ran across this thread and wanted to say it looks like you are doing a great job! I am about to do the same thing to my PinBot cabinet except I have to wait for warmer weather. I am finishing up my CPR play field swap while it's cold out then painting my cabinet and head in the Spring. Lucky for me my cabinet is not in as bad of shape as yours.
I am curious as to how this is going to turn out and the exact yellow and orange colors you will be using for the stencils.
Good luck.

thanks...I will document all paints used

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Makin some good progress. If your so inclined while your workin on the cab you might want to think about replacing the start button with an Angle Eye lit metal start button. I put them on 3 of my games and they really look cool. They are 12v but still light up nice with 6.3v from the coin door bulbs. You need a 22mm diameter one and can get them on ebay.

damn those are slick...thanks...even if I don't use them on this build I think they would look cool in some of my more modern games
s-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600_(resized).jpg

#35 8 years ago

Here is what I plan on using for this project, please let me know if some of this is incorrect. A lot of people have a lot of opinions on what is the best type of products to use, I personally don't have a clue. I told the guy at the automotive paint supply house what I was doing and this is what he recommended (see photo). This crap is expensive, luckily for me a few weeks ago a customer of mine (who also happens to own the paint store) needed some minor work done at one of his rental properties so I traded a bit of labor for the supplies. Once the painting is done I will calculate the cost based again on material used, but to give you an idea what you see in the photo was $150 but some of the products will do several machines.
025_(resized).jpg025_(resized).jpg

#38 8 years ago

This was the front corner that was loose, I glued it back a few days ago. I used filler to repair the minor damage where the old cleat was removed...
040_(resized).jpg040_(resized).jpg
then glued and stapled in new cleat...
041_(resized).jpg041_(resized).jpg
continued doing fill...
036_(resized).jpg036_(resized).jpg
037_(resized).jpg037_(resized).jpg
cut, beveled, and notched new back panel...traced cutouts for vents and power cord...
043_(resized).jpg043_(resized).jpg
cut openings, cleaned them up with a drum sander...
045_(resized).jpg045_(resized).jpg
034_(resized).jpg034_(resized).jpg
then glued and stapled into place...lookin good
050_(resized).jpg050_(resized).jpg
one more round of filler and sanding and it primer time

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

So you are going to do the cabinet in urethane? Are you doing it in a one step, or bc/cc? I'm curious to see how this comes out because my Pinbot is a nice HUO machine that unfortunately sat in a sunroom for years. There is hardly a red left on it.

I will be doing a few coats of sealer/primer with sanding in between, then a few base coats of black (also sanded in between). Stencil and spray yellow and red, wet sand then 2pac automotive clear coat.

#42 8 years ago

in the meantime I am beginning to work on the coin door, its pretty ugly...
052_(resized).jpg052_(resized).jpg
stripped it down and bagged all parts...
087_(resized).jpg087_(resized).jpg
looks like someone did a poor paint job at some time in the past...
082_(resized).jpg082_(resized).jpg
so now there are these 3 holes in the coin door from some sort of security device I guess...what can I do about these, if I just fill with bondo I'm sure it will just crack out...can I fill these another way or do I need to use carriage bolts to hide them?
084_(resized).jpg084_(resized).jpg

#44 8 years ago

ha..my welding skills suck, I am afraid I might burn a bigger hole...just by coincidence I have a guy who wants to trade me a welder for some garage door repair this Saturday...I guess its time to practice...this is what Im getting....

00r0r_40NhhB3Weop_600x450_(resized).jpg00r0r_40NhhB3Weop_600x450_(resized).jpg

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Does it have a argon/Co2 tank and regulator?

supposedly he says it has everything needed to start welding, I am going to look at it tomorrow so I can see if it is a deal I want to make...I will find out exactly what he has to offer

If it doesn't work out I guess I could take it to a local shop to get it welded, I can grind and smooth it myself.

#51 8 years ago

Great, thanks for all the tips.

#53 8 years ago

Because I replaced the panel and cleats I had to re-drill holes for the leg bolts and make sure they are exactly centered to work with the heavy duty brackets (the old style brackets were more forgiving and holes only had to be close). I drilled the holes and the dry fitted the legs and brackets, then made a few adjustments to get the proper fit...
023_(resized).jpg023_(resized).jpg
plugged a hole in the front of cab. Whittled down a scrap piece of wood to about the same size as hole, covered in glue then tapped in with a mallet. cut flush with handsaw then sanded and bondo...
037_(resized).jpg037_(resized).jpg
the cab and head are finally ready for primer/sealer, maybe tomorrow if I can get to it. Can anybody let me know what I should wipe it down with just before I spray primer?
040_(resized).jpg040_(resized).jpg

So the time spent sanding the last remaining paint off cab, repairing front corner, fabricating and installing back panel, re-drill leg holes, filling , and LOTS of sanding (60,80,100,120,150,180,220,320 grit) totaled 14 hours
Material used was sandpaper, glue, staples, body filler and respirator cartridges and totaled $15

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mineral spirits or a tack cloth will pick up any remaining dust.

Thanks ^^^

I dont think I will be spraying primer today, gonna play a poker tournament instead

The coin door, door frame, and hinge have been cleaned. Then the same chemical stripper used on the cabinet was applied to coin door paint. After that the parts were cleaned up with a media blaster and ground glass....
pictures to come

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

If you get up this way I have a rotisserie you can have along with some PF glass, a box full of bulbs and some other misc. stuff I no longer need.
I could use another battery for my garage door opener, the last one finally took a dump.

Thank you, PM sent.
Its worth the trip up just to see your car.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you get the MIG welder? If you take a copper penny and place it over the hole. Then weld the hole shut. The penny will keep your weld from just falling thru and act as a heat sink to help from melting a bigger hole. Since the penny is copper (old penny) it wont stick to the door or the weld. Also you will only need to smooth out one side.

guy flaked out yesterday (pretty typical craigslist deal) but says we are good to meet up this week. I wont hold my breathe but there is a chance of it still happening. If not my son told me he has access to a mig at his work.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

We can take it out for a ride, maybe go get a pizza at Lou and Eddies.

Im buying...

Was hoping to use this project as an excuse to buy a nice blast cabinet, but I was able to get the job done using one of the crappy media blasters from harbor freight (I think it was about $20, I bought it a while back). I used 40/70 grit ground glass for the media, it made short work of the paint removal. I was able to get away with only using half the bottle of glass, I put the coin door in an old pillowcase and that allowed the collection of about 80% of the glass each time I ran it through. Just cut a small tip of one of the bottom corners of the pillowcase to pour sand back into hopper and re use. I used a full face shield, don't do it with just eye protection.
001_(resized).jpg001_(resized).jpg
002_(resized).jpg002_(resized).jpg
time spent to dis-assemble coin door, chemical lift and blast paint off was 1.5 hours
cost was $5 ( 1/2 bottle ground glass)

#65 8 years ago

And after 30 minutes of hand cleaning the last few specks of paint off it is ready for filler...just a few minor scuffs (and of course the 3 holes) to take care of before primer....

20160229_095435_(resized).jpg20160229_095435_(resized).jpg
where can I get these? I have found several but they are a little different...

20160229_100303_(resized).jpg20160229_100303_(resized).jpg

#67 8 years ago

had some people tell me that they have used the epoxy method to fill holes and it works fine. I punched out 2 pieces of 18ga scrap steel to plug the 2 smaller holes.....
20160229_132933_(resized).jpg20160229_132933_(resized).jpg
When I was tearing down the game I found a 1986 quarter stuck in the bottom rear of the cab. I was going to hold on to it and toss it back into the cab when this project is finished, only because the quarter is from 1986- same year as pinbot.
20160229_134011_(resized).jpg20160229_134011_(resized).jpg
Instead I am using it to fill the top, bigger hole in coin door. Now it will always be with the game...

20160229_145530_(resized).jpg20160229_145530_(resized).jpg
im not going to worry too much about refinishing the inside of the coin door, just gonna hit it with some walnut shell to clean then prime and paint...(of course masking off the quarter)

After the epoxy cured I applied filler to a few spots and sanded...

20160229_155155_(resized).jpg20160229_155155_(resized).jpg
then a real light first coat of rustoleum primer (black)...

20160229_162537_(resized).jpg20160229_162537_(resized).jpg

#68 8 years ago

Second coat of primer...still a light coat

20160229_164724_(resized).jpg20160229_164724_(resized).jpg

#71 8 years ago

thanks

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Which side of the coin is gonna show? Heads up I hope. Remember the old saying, Heads I win Tails you loose.

of course...wanted the date to show

#74 8 years ago

coin door, frame, hinge, center plate and coin flaps all primed...wet sanded 600 grit between coats...
050_(resized).jpg050_(resized).jpg
going to try tracelifters tips to re create the texture...hopefully I will get lucky

Next up is the transformer, I could probably just wipe it down and move on but I have some down time while the coin door dries...so as I am surfin pinside I am also being productive...
042_(resized).jpg042_(resized).jpg
removed mounting tabs and fasteners, used the same paint stripper again to quickly remove the coat of varnish they are covered in and threw them into the walnut media with the fasteners......
038_(resized).jpg038_(resized).jpg
039_(resized).jpg039_(resized).jpg
then with a toothbrush and some hot water with simple green I quickly cleaned the wire harness, wiped it all down, wire brushed the part to be painted and taped the rest off... I am not going for perfection by any means here, just a quick clean up...
047_(resized).jpg047_(resized).jpg
then a few coats of high temp black paint...
052_(resized).jpg052_(resized).jpg
tomorrow the mounting tabs will be done in the walnut and It should go back together in a few minutes
total time spent: 1 hour
dollars spent: $0 (I already had the high temp paint and it only used about an ounce or two)

#75 8 years ago

Quick shot with hardware cleaned and re installed....nothing dramatic, just a little lipstick...

20160303_150117_(resized).jpg20160303_150117_(resized).jpg

#78 8 years ago

I sprayed two light coats of primer.... after this dries I will hit it with some 600 grit wet sand paper to smooth it out. Then I will check and see if I need to apply additional filler or do any more sanding before I start to spray basecoat.

20160305_123003_(resized).jpg20160305_123003_(resized).jpg

20160305_122957_(resized).jpg20160305_122957_(resized).jpg

20160305_122947_(resized).jpg20160305_122947_(resized).jpg

#79 8 years ago

next is this... what do you call this? Much like the transformer I'm not going too crazy here, just a little paint and cleanup...

it has this little board tied in to the games played meter just sort of hanging by one screw, I will use a few small spacers and screws and mount it properly...
got everything stripped off and base is ready for paint...metal parts in the walnut media...
047_(resized).jpg047_(resized).jpg
again I went to work on the wire harness just like the transformer...warm water with degreaser and a toothbrush...
before...
048_(resized).jpg048_(resized).jpg
and after...
049_(resized).jpg049_(resized).jpg
tomorrow the base will be dry and parts should be clean, then time for re assembly

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You took the wire ties off the wires before you cleaned them didn't you? It looks like it.

No, I could slide them a bit and clean underneath, I just added some extra wire ties in other areas

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Just a 12 volt relay to pulse the counter. Why is it needed, I don't know. The CPU stores this kind of info already. Me I would remove it.

I thought about removing the counter, but I think for now I will leave it in. I like the nostalgia and it shows 88k+ games, proving how popular this game is...

here is a pic of the board, painted and repopulated...
002_(resized).jpg002_(resized).jpg

#84 8 years ago

I am still looking for these coin door parts....
no luck at marcos or PBL..

080_(resized).jpg080_(resized).jpg

081_(resized).jpg081_(resized).jpg

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

This looks like the right part, just not broken:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1179

here are some better photos...mine isn't broken it was made like that
008_(resized).jpg008_(resized).jpg
007_(resized).jpg007_(resized).jpg
006_(resized).jpg006_(resized).jpg
003_(resized).jpg003_(resized).jpg
I would love to find them in blue but I would be happy with red

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I think the Wico and Happ reject button hardware are interchangeable. See here:
http://thearcadeboneyard.com/coin_doors_and_parts/bezels_and_reject_buttons.php

I may have to see if I can get something like that to work, I possibly have a lead on some used Wicos that I'm going to pursue first...If I do have to make due with something different they don't *need* to work, just look good...

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Just a few sanding questions thanks,
Was 320 grit the final grade sand paper used prior to primer? Which grades were done by either block or sander?, wet or dry?
Will 600 grit wet be the final grade used to sand the primer prior for the first basecoat application & also 600 wet for sanding in-between the final top coats, done by block?
Great first attempt at a cab restoration.

320 was the final grade used prior to primer. all pre-primer sanding has been done with a palm sander and has been done dry...
600-1000 grit will be used between coats of primer (and base) and the sanding between coats will be wet sanded by hand.
DISCLAIMER: this thread is not a "how to guide" it is a "how I did it" documentation...believe me when I say that there is probably a better way to do every step I have shown so far.

Quoted from Pinterest:

This really looks great Cosmo!
Are you using spray cans on the cabinet?
Steve Young's Pinball Connection may have those coin door plastics.
http://www.pbresource.com/CoinDoor.html
He has a lot of stuff that's not on the web site also - so always worth checking.

the primer, base coat and clear coat will be sprayed with a gun and compressor, the yellow and red used during stenciling will be krylon rattle cans (they have a yellow and red that match factory colors)... I will post a pic of equipment used and also of the rattle cans for color match...Thanks for the link to Steve, I will send him an e mail if the lead I have on some buttons falls through...

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Did you ever get the coin return buttons? I have a pair of NOS Wico return buttons (but not the entry tubes). They are also red, but don't have the price labels in them.

pm sent

#97 8 years ago

Today I ran into my first problem, this corner of the cabinet has plywood that continually bubbles up and blisters. I noticed it after sanding the paint off and first I tried to remove all the loose particles with compressed air and a small screwdriver and then fill with body filler...after I sanded down filler it would look perfect, only to bubble up again and have loose wood fibers flaking off...Then I thought that the primer would seal the loose fiber and I could proceed with no issue...this morning I went to sand primer and spray final coat and I noticed blistering again in the same area.... this time I used glue and spread it around the whole area to soak into loose fibers and lock it down, tomorrow I will sand the area again, check for blisters, and finish with primer...
new_(resized).pngnew_(resized).png

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

If you get up this way I have a rotisserie you can have along with some PF glass, a box full of bulbs and some other misc. stuff I no longer need.
I could use another battery for my garage door opener, the last one finally took a dump.

Special shout out to tracelifter ....I had a chance to make the trip up to his place today and he was gracious enough to give me boxes of parts, sheets of glass and a rotisserie....some stuff I can use on this project, the rest will come in handy in the future....He is a stand-up guy with a vast wealth of knowledge, he will be sorely missed on this site and I consider myself lucky to be able to get help or advice from him...Thanks Eric (Outstanding job on the GTO by the way)

As far as the coin door goes it looks like I might have a lead on some NOS reject buttons, I will post pics when they arrive....the coin door, frame, flaps and hinge were given the final coat of ace BBQ black then checked over and approved by, well, me.

20160304_161230_(resized).jpg20160304_161230_(resized).jpg

Once that dried I used tracelifters suggestion and put a can of ace black laquer in the freezer for about 15 min and barely pushed on the nozzle to get paint to spit...this was after one "spritzing"....I need to do a bit more but it looks great...

20160313_175820_(resized).jpg20160313_175820_(resized).jpg

14579182461731360583728_(resized).jpg14579182461731360583728_(resized).jpg

20160313_175813_(resized).jpg20160313_175813_(resized).jpg

#100 8 years ago

And its all done with the exception of the clear...going to spray it with 2pac when I spray the cabinet...I am really happy with the way it turned out.
Time spent epoxying plugs and quarter, filler and sand, spray primer with wet sand between coats, bbq black paint with wet sand between coats, spritz laquer : One hour
dollars spent $10.25

20160313_183755_(resized).jpg20160313_183755_(resized).jpg
20160313_184624_(resized).jpg20160313_184624_(resized).jpg
20160313_184631_(resized).jpg20160313_184631_(resized).jpg

#105 8 years ago

I really appreciate the kind words guys, thank you....this week I hope to lay down the base black, I read that I should wait at least 3 weeks after base but before stencil so I would like to get it sprayed soon...

I have read that some people have sprayed clear over base coat before stenciling....any advantage to doing it that way, or am I ok to stencil over base then just clear when its all done?

#106 8 years ago

A few parts showed up today...mostly shooter rod stuff, new leg bolts, transparent blue flipper buttons and flex LEDs to light them and a few more odds and ends...

20160314_172153_(resized).jpg20160314_172153_(resized).jpg
Now that the coin door is done I will focus on the legs, lockdown bar and siderails...legs are rusty but they will polish up, I use crumpled up aluminum foil and water or soda and it strips the rust off quickly, then they will get polished...legs will get new bolts, levelers and cab protectors when it gets re assrmbled...

14580018614662003990441_(resized).jpg14580018614662003990441_(resized).jpg
One siderail is in good shape, the other has a few small dings I will try to remove before polishing.....

1458002055829-1260632362_(resized).jpg1458002055829-1260632362_(resized).jpg

#107 8 years ago

Heres just a quick pic of how easy the foil works...these front legs just have light rust, it wont take much to clean them up...the rear legs are a bit worse

20160314_180508_(resized).jpg20160314_180508_(resized).jpg
20160314_180513_(resized).jpg20160314_180513_(resized).jpg
just foil and water and honestly only 10 seconds or less of scrubbing for light rust such as this....

20160314_180551_(resized).jpg20160314_180551_(resized).jpg
looks much better (I only did a small section in the middle of the leg for photo)... for the rears if they dont come clean quickly then I will use soda instead of water...

20160314_180638_(resized).jpg20160314_180638_(resized).jpg
20160314_180643_(resized).jpg20160314_180643_(resized).jpg
Well the rear legs are not that bad after all, a bit heavier rust than the fronts but I have seen much worse...it looks like they rigged up something for the leveler, it will be replaced...

20160314_182013_(resized).jpg20160314_182013_(resized).jpg
and after just a bit of rubbing...(again I only did a few inches for photo, if you look at the last pic you can still see rust a little farther up the leg...it will come right off)
20160314_182133_(resized).jpg20160314_182133_(resized).jpg
20160314_182136_(resized).jpg20160314_182136_(resized).jpg

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

Im not familiar with the products that you are using, it looks like you have 3 components for the clear. Is the basecoat ready to spray or do you need a reducer for that too? The black should give you good coverage but red and yellow over black will probably be poor hiding. Stick with more light coats because if you get heavy it will take forever to dry. Im not sure that you need to wait 3 weeks for the black to dry, check with your supplier.

basecoat is 1 with reducer....clear is 4 with activator and a "splash" of reducer...
the colors will be done in several light coats with sanding in between...

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

It looks great and you should have adequate supplies to do at least one more, if not more, door.

You are right, I edited post to reflect that I only used about $10 in supplies for coin door paint...there is enough left over to do another door....thanks for the correction.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Thanks for posting this! I have a few project pinball machines I have to do the same thing to. Pinbot is actually one of them.
Pinbot, Grand Lizard, Xenon and High Speed. Adding up those hours. Looks like I will have to take some vacation time to work on them!

I'm not sure what will be more startling when I total it all up...the dollars spent on this or the man hours, but so far it has been fun.

This part was easy...the shooter rod had been broken and epoxied by previous owner, the housing had black paint on it from someone doing cab touch up...
060_(resized).jpg060_(resized).jpg
043_(resized).jpg043_(resized).jpg
I used a Q-tip and a touch of the same paint remover and it made quick work of the leftover paint, then into the vibrator/walnut again for another day...looks better, not perfect but acceptable...it looks in the photo as if it has rust on it but it is just flash from camera doing weird things...
062_(resized).jpg062_(resized).jpg
new shooter parts...
061_(resized).jpg061_(resized).jpg
And ready to be installed....
065_(resized).jpg065_(resized).jpg
Time spent on removing paint and re assembly: 10 min
dollars spent : $8

My shelf of dirty parts is slowly becoming a shelf of clean parts ready to be installed...I have to finish rust removal and polish on legs, rails and lockdown bar...clean and repaint the back box door (is that what it is called? the wooden board with the backglass bulbs and score displays) ... I am not doing anything at this time with the board sets, just focusing on cab features, Im sure I will clean and bulletproof them using vids guide at a later time

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

When you paint your cabinet black paint a piece of scrap too so you can test your red and yellow, then you will have an idea what to expect.

Thanks for the tip, I was going to shoot a scrap piece to test the clear...I will shoot a few extra pieces for color testing as well.

#117 8 years ago

Gotta thank fellow pinsider girloveswaffles who was kind enough to hook me up with a pair of NOS wico reject buttons and springs for the coin door...can't wait to see what they look like in the door, I really appreciate it gir!
20160316_163622_(resized).jpg20160316_163622_(resized).jpg
The buttons look so good I wanted to see if I could clean up the coin chute sleeves ... in its past someone spray painted the coin door with some black paint, getting quite a bit of it inside and on the front lip of the sleeve...
20160316_185247_(resized).jpg20160316_185247_(resized).jpg
20160316_185254_(resized).jpg20160316_185254_(resized).jpg
I soaked them in some alcohol for a bit...
20160316_191431_(resized).jpg20160316_191431_(resized).jpg
then used a paper clip and 600 grit sandpaper to clean out all the black paint...the lip is ever so slightly distorted, probably a reaction to the paint I'm not sure, but I doubt you will be able to tell when it is re assembled
20160316_201511_(resized).jpg20160316_201511_(resized).jpg
20160316_201533_(resized).jpg20160316_201533_(resized).jpg

Quoted from cireone:

Looking good man! Gives me motivation to start on my Gorgar!

let me know when your ready, I have a lot of supplies left over

#119 8 years ago

Hopefully got past a major setback today...remember this...

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Today I ran into my first problem, this corner of the cabinet has plywood that continually bubbles up and blisters. I noticed it after sanding the paint off and first I tried to remove all the loose particles with compressed air and a small screwdriver and then fill with body filler...after I sanded down filler it would look perfect, only to bubble up again and have loose wood fibers flaking off...Then I thought that the primer would seal the loose fiber and I could proceed with no issue...this morning I went to sand primer and spray final coat and I noticed blistering again in the same area.... this time I used glue and spread it around the whole area to soak into loose fibers and lock it down, tomorrow I will sand the area again, check for blisters, and finish with primer...
new_(resized).png

Well what was happening was that this cab got very wet years back and the plywood near the corner started to delaminate...the more I filled it the more I found...chips of plywood separated from layer underneath (sorry...didn't get any photos during this stage...was trying not to panic)...only thing I could try was to carefully pick away at any spots that were delaminating until I hit solid wood in every direction, then used filler and sanded smooth...finished that and checked for more delamination and found none...hopefully it wont show up again later but at this point I have to move on...sprayed what will probably be the final primer coat today and it looks good...I will hit it with some wet 1000 grit just a swipe or two to knock down the whiskers and if all looks good then I am finally ready to spray black basecoat...

009_(resized).jpg009_(resized).jpg
010_(resized).jpg010_(resized).jpg
011_(resized).jpg011_(resized).jpg
018_(resized).jpg018_(resized).jpg

Should I clear coat over the basecoat before I stencil colors?

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Are you calling the primer basecoat - or do you truly mean basecoat/color coat?
If you mean Primer - No you do not clear that.
If you mean base color - I would paint the base and all of the colors first - then clear over all of it as long as you plan to do it quickly (within about 12 hours or so).

Quoted from hd60609:

I wouldn't think you'd need to clear over base. Are you asking to be ultra conservative? Like when repairing a backglass - clear, so you could remove your last layer if you didn't like it? In theory, with all your hard work, you could clear the base, then if you had a problem with your stencil, you should be remove down to the clear over base.
This should be an unnecessary layer after base, as I would think you shouldn't have problems with the stencils. Then I'd heard many talk of clearing the final cabinet for an added layer of protection.
Keep up the great thread... I'm a month behind you... Gorgar is apart and in the shop!

Thanks guys...Yes, I was referring to clearing over the black base coat before stenciling, I read some threads where this was done...I did not think it would be needed but thought I would ask...Looks like I will be completing all black base paint then stencil colors, then clear it all when I'm done.
should be spraying black this weekend...

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

I'd say 1000 grit on the primer is too fine. you want the primer to have some tooth to promote adhesion with the base coat. When I paint a car I do a final wet sand with 400 before spraying a sealer followed by basecoat. I've known others to go up to 600 for their final wet sand. (I do kustoms and restoration work, not production style bodyshop)

that makes sense...thanks for the tip...I would have sanded it too smooth

#128 8 years ago

I'm not going to document it step by step in this thread but just wanted to take this opportunity to remove, dis assemble, clean, tumble, and polish every mech under the playfield...change every sleeve, check every solder connection...then I will strip the playfield, level raised inserts, take care of bubbles under mylar, polish mylar, wax, clean plastics, and re rubber...

20160323_200750_(resized).jpg20160323_200750_(resized).jpg

14587892918252003990441_(resized).jpg14587892918252003990441_(resized).jpg

1458789333668-1260632362_(resized).jpg1458789333668-1260632362_(resized).jpg

#129 8 years ago

meanwhile, back at the ranch...
I hit the primer with 400 as suggested above and then sprayed the first very light coat of black paint...I must say this automotive paint is expensive but it sure is easy to spray, even for someone like me with no experience...

light first coat...
079_(resized).jpg079_(resized).jpg
077_(resized).jpg077_(resized).jpg
will hit lightly with sandpaper and spray second coat in a few days

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

I dont think it should be necessary to wait days to put a second coat of automotive base on. The stuff is designed to be put on with a minimum flash time between coat with sanding optional only if needed. When I do a 2 tone on a car with product I use (standox) its typically 2 or 3 coats of the first color with 5 or 10 minutes between coats. 20 minutes later I am masking for the second color and ready to spray. 2 to 3 more coats for coverage and im ready for clear. Sanding might be needed if you wait to long, called recoat time and should be listed on your product. The spray can products will have much slower dry times.

great, I will spray the remaining coats in this fashion, I was going to do the second coat fairly quickly after the first but simply didn't allow enough time...lesson learned, now I know...

ordered pinball pimp stencils today...

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Looking good cosmokramer.

thank you...

Well it was looking good...Today I was going to spray the final 2 coats of black and I was going to feel pretty good about being close to done...then BANG!, the pinball cabinet restoration gods laughed and said "we don't think you have paid your dues yet"...as I was setting up to begin to spray I was examining the cab in the sunlight and I saw A tiny blister at the top of the cab near where the head attaches...I knew this area would covered with the side rail and I could probably leave it and it would be ok, but I didn't want to half ass it now so I took a screwdriver to see what I was dealing with ( this blister looked similar to the ones I had to deal with when I found the delamination but they were in a different area that never got wet) to my horror what I had uncovered was an area where when the plywood was made the splice between two sheets of wood on the same layer had about a 3/8" gap between them when the sheet was glued...this was then covered by the next layer of the plywood (the last layer)... creating a 1/4"x3/8" channel covered by one layer of wood through the entire sheet of plywood they used to make the cab originally ...I had no choice but to chip it all out, fill it...then go back to sand and fill again before I can prime and paint the area...uuggghhhhh!... After a chance to let my blood pressure drop to normal I guess its better I found out now rather than after I was done...
018_(resized).jpg018_(resized).jpg
019_(resized).jpg019_(resized).jpg
020_(resized).jpg020_(resized).jpg
021_(resized).jpg021_(resized).jpg

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Gave you a thumbs up for not chucking the whole cab down the hill.
It's going to look awesome.

I thought about it...

I know... a material defect from 30 years ago finds a way of kicking me in the nuts...nothing I can do but smile and move on

#147 8 years ago

Its ok, if that is the only setback then I will have this done shortly..... I took a few days away from the cab project to fabricate some LED panels for behind the translight of my IMVE and SM... I will get back to the wood repair probably Wed or Thursday...
006_(resized).jpg006_(resized).jpg
before...
after...but too much blue...adding some white to war machine and the clouds on the left hand side..
014_(resized).jpg014_(resized).jpg

#148 8 years ago

hmmmm, it really does look better in person than in that photo... ^^^^^^^
edit...looks better with the white...

20160328_200724_(resized).jpg20160328_200724_(resized).jpg
sorry to hijack my own thread... back to pinbot restoration

#151 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have a friend who also has a pinbot but his is missing the topper...using mine as a template I am going to try to replicate one... It wont be an exact match but it will be close, it will work, and will be better than nothing...I will probably start a separate thread for that

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-pinbot-topper#post-3070867

#152 8 years ago

Back on track after a minor setback... dished out the area and filled it, sanded smooth and primed...If all goes well then I will spray final coats of black tomorrow and let it dry for about a week until I have time to stencil...Pinball Pimps stencils arrived yesterday.....

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Tell me about the minor setback, buddy. Wait until you see my next update on the AFM. I hate cabinet work...

If it was easy everybody would be doing it...

#157 8 years ago

Finally got the last bit of black sprayed before we get some rain in So Cal. ... It looks good, I am probably a little too picky as I can find blemishes if I look hard enough but I learned a lot so far and am happy overall...I'm not sure why in these photos there seems to be white areas on the corners and such...must just be a flash issue, believe me the cab is all black!

Anyway, now I'm going to let the paint cure for awhile while I continue to completely dismantle the playfield for a good cleaning, service, and mylar polish with just a tiny bit of key line touch up...
119_(resized).jpg119_(resized).jpg
116_(resized).jpg116_(resized).jpg
113_(resized).jpg113_(resized).jpg
114_(resized).jpg114_(resized).jpg

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Looks great - I'm right behind you and Boobie - keep showing me what (and what not) to do!

Cool...what game are you doing?

#166 8 years ago

Spent the last week working on the playfield teardown and extensive shop job
..it is really cleaning up nice and all mechs look brand new.

I found several references to these two krylon colors (banner red and sun yellow) as a match for both Pinbot and High Speed stencil colors (perhaps others as well)...both colors look a little dark to me but I don't think I have seen a Pinbot or HS without cab fade so chances are these are correct... $20 for 4 cans (2 cans of each color) but I don't think I will need the second cans....

20160416_122819_(resized).jpg20160416_122819_(resized).jpg
A stack of Pinball Pimp stencils, I have never used stencils before but these seem pretty durable.... cost was $160

20160416_123726_(resized).jpg20160416_123726_(resized).jpg
Getting ready to apply stencils for first color on head and cab...

#168 8 years ago

Well I fumblefucked my way through a bit of stenciling today....made a lot of errors (minor but still annoying) that I should'nt have...I blame it entirely on being out late last night drinking (which I almost never do) and partying at the Iron Maiden concert...paid for it this morning...

20160416_213840_(resized).jpg20160416_213840_(resized).jpg

Anyway, I trimmed the corners of the stencil to be able to line it up with the cab...
20160417_100619_(resized).jpg20160417_100619_(resized).jpg
then applied stencil using tips from pinball pimps you tube video and also instructions that came with the kit...
20160417_102749_(resized).jpg20160417_102749_(resized).jpg
Taped off to prevent overspray...
20160417_103326_(resized).jpg20160417_103326_(resized).jpg
ok so now when I sprayed the paint I went way too thick...the reason is that the stencil is white but my basecoat is black so when spraying the red it didn't look like it was hiding the black...it looked almost translucent ...once I figured it out it went better with the next stencils20160417_105340_(resized).jpg20160417_105340_(resized).jpg
not only did I spray it too thick but I tried to remove the stencil too early and had some thin strands of color stretch then break and fall to the black area...very hard to see but I noticed it and made the necessary adjustments in the next sprays and it worked better with a bit longer dry time
Did a light coat on the cab with the yellow, then followed up with a heavier coat...
20160417_115130_(resized).jpg20160417_115130_(resized).jpg

let it dry a bit longer this time then removed the stencil...
20160417_120747_(resized).jpg20160417_120747_(resized).jpg
waiting to be finished...
20160417_121835_(resized).jpg20160417_121835_(resized).jpg
used this set of tweezers with a pick to remove delicate parts of the stencil after painting...
20160417_100355_(resized).jpg20160417_100355_(resized).jpg
I will fix the bit of red on the head, a few circles have some rough edges due to paint being too thick and stencil removed too soon..

today was laden with errors:
paint too thick
stencil removed too early
dropped a bit of stencil in some wet color (be careful when removing stencil as some small loose ends can drag in paint)
touched the yellow with my finger to see if it was dry (it was not) and left a big fingerprint
did a shitty job masking off the rest of the cab and got some yellow overspray where it shouldn't be
opened SUV door when it was windy and had to chase 3 stencils down the street

Overall these issues will be easy for me to fix before clear coating

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I agree with putting down the grey or white before the color in theory, but I don't know how many actually do this. I don't think Williams or Bally laid a white or grey layer first before putting on a color over a dark base. I wasn't planning on doing this with my Gorgar cabinet, but it has crossed my mind several times.
May not need a poll, but it would be great to hear anyone who has restored a cabinet on whether they laid the white/grey before the lighter color on black base.
Looking good Cosmo! Are you happy with the yellow, once you sprayed the lighter coat first?

Also the stencil maker recommends removing the stencil before the paint dries. I don't see how I can prime a white/grey and then color with one stencil but like I said I don't really know what can or can't be done...after removing the stencil I could see that the color over black was OK and I did'nt need to go so thick...next sprays will go better....I am happy with the yellow, just need to touch up a few spots where the stencil or my finger left an imperfection but the red and yellow color both look correct....I had the head and cab in the sun after spraying today and could see many flaws overall, but inside the shop under the lights it really looked a lot better...looking forward to seeing it with the clear coat.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I have done a decent amount of cabinets , and have found it to be better to put down a white or gray over dark base . Just first coat put on white or gray let it flash then the color you stenciling with , stencil can still be removed when paint is wet . Using white or gray for your first coat allows the color to cover better without heavy coats . Heavy coats can cause all sorts of problems not just runs .

Makes perfect sense...next cab I do will be done this way...this cab I need to finish the same way otherwise I fear the colors will be different due to dark and light basecoat...thanks for the tips, this has been a great learning experience so far and I am currently keeping my eye out for the next project (I would like to do a F-14 next with full playfield swap)

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've only done a few stencil jobs and have yet to have any of them go perfect. Always a little touching up. Doing a Fathom now...we'll see if we are getting better at it! Certainly not the stencil makers fault...at least in this case. Can't say enough how much I like Pinballpimps stencils. My Twisted Pins KISS stencils were a joke and I also have a set of their stencils for Centaur which I will throw in the garbage.

Pinball Pimps stencils were very easy to use, even for a first timer...I will use them every time as they are a great product.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Cosmo,

On your second go-around, how long did you wait until applying the second coat of paint on the stencils?

not long...maybe 5 minutes between first light coat and second, then 5 more minutes between 2nd and 3rd...then about 12-15 minutes until stencil is removed

Quoted from jibmums:

Boy, is that an understatement! Misregistration between colors, fuzzy edges where the stencil wasn't butted up right against the cabinet, and perhaps my favorite, double images where the stencil was sprayed, accidentally moved a quarter inch or so, and sprayed again. Still, it's the little eccentricities like these that give an old pinball cabinet its character.
BTW Cosmo, your coindoor paintjob.....fantastic! I can only hope the spatter on mine comes out as well.

I like the look of the casual overspray from the factory, the stencils now give too crisp of a line I wish I could get results more like the original...and thanks for the kind words

#185 8 years ago

Today I sprayed the left side and front of cab which completes the first half of the stencils....overall it looks good but again its easy to find fault...I still had an issue with gooey stretchy strands of color flying around when the stencils are removed, however it was not as bad as the first attempt....I believe if I increase the time from final coat to stencil removal just a few more minutes I will have the results I am looking for...

Getting close to the end now, starting to think about game reassembly....I took just over 1000 pictures total during this project but most of those were of the playfield shop not cab resto....I feel pretty confident about the completion and eventual final outcome....playfield work is almost completed and the only thing left to do is the lightboard (?) facelift and them start putting the guts back in the cab after the clearcoat cures

20160419_173045_(resized).jpg20160419_173045_(resized).jpg

20160419_174628_(resized).jpg20160419_174628_(resized).jpg

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Cosmo,
How long did you wait until clearing your cabinet?
Thanks,
G

I have not gotten that far yet (I got a little ahead of myself looking forward) after I spray the final stencils I will probably wait about a week or so before I shoot the first coat of clear...then sand the clear between coats ( im not sure how many coats of clear will be needed)...

Also, I am considering clearcoating the coindoor at the same time as the cab...anybody have any advice on this? Is there any reason to not do this?

#192 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Nice work, Cosmo...my only suggestion is that you might consider running an orbital sander lightly over the wood section of the bottom to make it look new again down there. But it looks really great!
And PS - I don't see any problem with the stencils...I'll probably be asking you for tips when I do my next game.

Yeah, when I started this project it was just going to be a quick cab repaint....then once I took the playfield out I told myself that a light cleaning would give me something to do in the down time between cab painting...I now have 30 hours into the playfield alone with another 10 to go....I was not going to touch the inside or underneath the cab but when I was painting the cab I figured I would just hit the inside quickly with some 60 grit, then it looked so much better I thought I would just prime it but ended up painting the entire inside...I guess I just cant bring myself to half ass any of this project so the eventually I will clean up the bottom of the cab....
This just keeps snowballing but I am having a great time doing it and I am now familiar with every nut, bolt and mechanism on a Pinbot!

#199 8 years ago

Well I would like to post this picture and tell you that I stenciled the second color on 2 sides of the pin today and that everything looks perfect and birds are singing as angels fly around the backbox playing harps....
20160422_184327_(resized).jpg20160422_184327_(resized).jpg

...But what really happened much to my chagrin is that evidently I should have hit the first color with some sandpaper after installing the second stencil (so that the bottom color is only sanded where the second color will go on top) before spraying second color as the second color did not stick to the first color (combined with letting the paint dry too long this go around)..I had entire pieces of art come off clean as a whistle and other pieces slide around a bit...and awful looking edges ... ...
20160422_184333_(resized).jpg20160422_184333_(resized).jpg

...Really made me nauseous, and I am a pretty even tempered guy but I could feel my blood pressure going up and it was all I could do to not kick the ever loving shit out of the cab and anything else in a 5 foot radius...
then I took another look at the paint and started to press down on some areas that looked a little weird to try to stick it back on... whatever...it looks like shit and I am really disappointed at this point.....
20160422_182240_(resized).jpg20160422_182240_(resized).jpg

... I cant just quit now so I apply the second stencil to the left side of the backbox, then hit the exposed red with some 120 grit so it will have some bite and spray the yellow...I wait for a few minutes for paint to set and then remove the stencil...second color stuck perfectly and I had no real issues except that once again I dropped the stencil into wet paint as I was pulling it off...I suck today, really I should take up darts or something and leave this to the pros ..
20160422_183436_(resized).jpg20160422_183436_(resized).jpg
As I am cleaning up I look at the cab because now that I'm not steaming anymore I am trying to figure out the best way to fix this...My first attempt will be to re create parts of the stencils (mostly just circles) and use thin tape to mask missing radius on wrist and a few other spots and re spray those areas after hitting the area with some fine grit sandpaper to knock down the edges...then I will use fine artist brushes to clean up a bit of the black and colored areas before proceeding to clear...so I feel better about getting the rest of the cab to come out OK, just pissed about the first attempt today..

Wow have I learned a lot so far, here are my tips gathered from the last few steps:
Mask everything as overspray can really find any hole or opening
sand surface before paint (Really, I messed that one up? I feel like a dumbass)
take lots of pictures
don't add up how much money you have spent until your done
don't expect perfection, its not possible

Sunday I will spray the remaining 3 sides and then take a serious look at the side that needs touch up and see if my plan of attack will work...if not then I will have to start over on that side only and I really don't want to do that, I would like to put this one to bed and use what I have learned to do a better job on the next one...

#202 8 years ago

now that I have had some time to think about it perhaps the best course of action would be to remove any paint that didn't adhere and apply a new stencil to that side, scuff and re spray... Pinball Pimp offers to re make one stencil at a time if you mess up so I will have to order one (after I finish the other side just to make sure I only need one)
I feel like this guy but I'm getting over it...
wrong01_(resized).jpgwrong01_(resized).jpg

#207 8 years ago

When my wife got home yesterday I showed her the pictures and she said she couldnt see anything wrong...when I pointed out the missing circles on the helmet and arm and the irregular lines she kind of laughed and simply said "I'm sure you will fix it, it looks great"....thats when I looked at the photos again myself and it really does look good, the colors are great and really pop...once I fix up the paint error, put it in the line up and play it no one will even see a few minor imperfections...
Thanks for all the support...

Quoted from hd60609:

Are you happy with the paint brand? Pinball stencils recommends Krylon or the Rustoleum 2x... Think the Rustoleum 2x would be different?

I am happy with the krylon, the colors are a great match (rustoleum probably has similar colors) although both cans started to "spit" a bit at the end.... I think the coverage is similar to the 2x rustoleum

#209 8 years ago

Cant say enough good things about Pinball Pimps stencils...I reached out to Jeff today and explained my mistake, he was kind enough to not only reply back to me today (saturday) but to cut the one stencil I need to fix the cab today as well ..
Great customer service...thanks Jeff

#211 8 years ago

Back at it again today, however this time I am very happy with my results....the left side of the cab came out just like it was supposed to with no issues...after installing the stencil I used some 220 grit paper to scuff up only the areas of yellow to allow the red to get a bite, It has been sticking to the black areas ok the problem was only where the red sprayed over the yellow...
my guess is that the first color I sprayed was too thick, and had a surface like glass.. when I sprayed the second color over it I also sprayed it too thick and just got no adhesion....
Jeff already cut my replacement stencil and I should have it this week, once I respray the red on the right side of cab I am going to touch up a few spots where I have some minor blemishes and prepare the surface for clear coat...

20160424_113335_(resized).jpg20160424_113335_(resized).jpg

20160424_113001_(resized).jpg20160424_113001_(resized).jpg

20160424_112937_(resized).jpg20160424_112937_(resized).jpg

20160424_112942_(resized).jpg20160424_112942_(resized).jpg

#212 8 years ago

side by side to really see how the first attempt failed...notice the missing red circles on helmet and wrist/elbow

3002216414d8cbc17363f44dad7f1986dd5ad954_(resized).jpg3002216414d8cbc17363f44dad7f1986dd5ad954_(resized).jpg

bb15346e97c97064eb388626b596dccb7d842234_(resized).jpgbb15346e97c97064eb388626b596dccb7d842234_(resized).jpg

94fcdd7d1fb0b2a8dde31207e2214cc361e99d86_(resized).jpg94fcdd7d1fb0b2a8dde31207e2214cc361e99d86_(resized).jpg

d11ff6cc7043385c3fe6ba936c0f40d6e3fb9485_(resized).jpgd11ff6cc7043385c3fe6ba936c0f40d6e3fb9485_(resized).jpg

#214 8 years ago
Quoted from Tbgolfen:

Don't beat yourself up and don't give up. Delamination happens to everyone. There are lots of reasons it occurs. Keep up the good work!

I got over it fairly quickly...just trying to document both my success and failures so anybody using this for reference doesnt make the same mistakes
Thank you for the words of encouragement, several people in this thread have been cheering me on and it really helps get past the setbacks...

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Before you clear scuff it so the clear will adhere properly .

What grit do you recommend?

#228 7 years ago

quick update...re stenciling went good, both sides look the same (forgot pictures but I'm sure by now you get the point)...I wont have time to start the clear coat process until next weekend, hopefully that will go smoothly...before that I will sand cab to knock down edges and give clear some grip

Quoted from Tallon:

scuff the whole cabinet in between each color

this would have prevented my problem...next time I will get it right

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Looking good Cosmo!! Pinbot is one of the pins ive wanted for a while and it looks like your going to have a super nive one when your done!

Quoted from Pinterest:

This looks awesome! I finally finished priming my cabinet and sprayed the base color today. Have to clear it tomorrow night after work!
If you need to - I'd knock down the edges by wet sanding with 1000 grit.
Awesome work - I'll be happy if mine looks half as good as yours does!

Quoted from Whysnow:

great thread!

cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images-i-love-this-thread-so-much.jpg

thanks...

1 week later
#229 7 years ago

Had a little something interesting happen when I removed the last stencil....I was admiring my work when I looked at the robot on the left side and noticed that one of the squares in his chest was stark white??...I was scratching my head, it was yellow just moments before, my primer was grey,I had a black base with red and yellow accents...where did the white come from?
(Photo coming)
Upon further inspection I found that although the stencil was properly cut for this square the vinyl was not removed...I did not notice it and painted yellow as needed...when I removed the stencil for the yellow the vinyl square stayed attatched to the cab as the rest of the stencil peeled away..leaving a perfect looking yellow square, just like the rest of them...
So then, as I was peeling off the next (red) stencil, it peeled all the yellow off the vinyl square but did not remove the vinyl from the cab...leaving a perfect white square that should have been yellow...
I removed the piece of vinyl stencil and used frog tape to mask for a quick spray job...

20160508_100738_(resized).jpg20160508_100738_(resized).jpg
It came out great and I spent a bit of time using a very fine art brush to touch up a few imperfections and sanded entire cab and head for the next step....
(Photo coming)

1 week later
#234 7 years ago

I was preparing to move to the next step of preparing the cab and head for clear coat and needed naphtha, after checking several sources I found out naphtha is not available in Ca.... after some on line research I found that this coleman fuel is indeed naphtha...
497_(resized).jpg497_(resized).jpg

I used 320 grit paper to knock down any edges and made sure that all shiny spots were sanded dull...then cleaned with rag and naphtha, followed by tack cloth...then sprayed first a light coat, then a heavier coat of clear...It came out well with no drips or obvious blemishes...

Special Note:
2 part auto clear is nasty stuff... make sure to always wear a respirator, gloves, and safety goggles (chemical type that seal against your face, not safety glasses)
510_(resized).jpg510_(resized).jpg
511_(resized).jpg511_(resized).jpg
509_(resized).jpg509_(resized).jpg

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

Cosmo,
You can buy Naphtha ( I live in CA as well) for a reasonable price.
You just need to buy via Amazon - for whatever reason there is a loophole.

Yes, I did see it available via amazon or e-bay, but I didnt attempt to source it until the last minute as I assumed it would be an over the counter sale...
Next step is to let the clear cure, check for any last minute touch ups, then block sand to prepare for final clear coat....I will also clear the coin door and frame at that time...

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Hey Cosmo,
I'm wondering, the red/orange on the cab looks way more red that any Pïnbot that I'm seen before. Is it the picture that makes it look red instead of orange of it is red indeed? Again, all Pinbot I've seen before are orange and yellow and I don't think it is because they were faded.
Thanks!

I thought the same thing but red is the correct color...when I removed the start button it was red underneath...

20160515_183948_(resized).jpg20160515_183948_(resized).jpg

storeBOT_(resized).jpgstoreBOT_(resized).jpg
Williams-PinBot-1_(resized).jpgWilliams-PinBot-1_(resized).jpg

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

What do you mean remove the start button? It is not hiding any part of the cab as far as I know, it's small and hollow.

See the red paint in the start button hole...when the start button goes back in it covers a portion of it and keeps it from fading...
506_(resized).jpg506_(resized).jpg

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Did you stack them like that when you cleared them?

No...just stored that way

#248 7 years ago

what is the proper grit to use between clear coats?

#253 7 years ago

I still feel a bit uneasy every time I sand between coats, and between clear coats it is even worse...It looks great and then hit it with 800 and cringe, but it should clear right up with the next (and hopefully last) coat of clear that I am about to spray...If things go as planned I should have it back at my house and ready to begin reassembly in a few days...

sanded between clear coats...
048_(resized).jpg048_(resized).jpg
045_(resized).jpg045_(resized).jpg
need to clean it up with naphtha and tack cloth and spray again

#255 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I hope the last coat is nice and flat for ya. Your doing a great job.

Funny you should mention that
As I was spraying the first coat of clear last week the spray gun that I have been using on this project began to spray erratically and really fought me the whole way...It really came as no surprise, I am being truthful in saying that my dad used this gun to paint my moms station wagon in 1975 and it was probably time to retire it before I started this project but I tried unsuccessfully to make it to the end with it...So I bought a HVLP spray gun, and instead of really getting the hang of a new gun I choose to "learn on the fly" and now I have to pay for it...Once again I shoot myself in the foot, but I also learned yet another lesson as a result so time to move on...the clear sprayed too thick in one area leaving a large blob, and the rest of the cab has horrible "orange peel" ? (is that the right term for this condition?)...

large blob of clear...

several square feet of "orange peel" ...

So my next question is how to I remedy this? Does it need to be block sanded smooth again and re-cleared or is there a way to correct it as it sits?

Also I find that putting a timeline on a job like this is foolish, I was preparing to start reassembly soon but it is going to take some time now to correct this error and these final steps cant be rushed...

#261 7 years ago

Sand and respray...hopefully it wont be too tough to fix, I just need to dial in the adjustments on the new sprayer...live and learn...
How long does this need to cure before I can start sanding?

Thanks for all the help guys

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:Your second and fourth photos are not really orange peel, they are under spray and what looks like poor atomization. Higher air pressure and maybe less paint flow would help.

This makes sense, although I know nothing about painting it did seem that the first gun I used "misted" the clear (which I now understand the correct term is "atomizing") instead of the new gun splattering the clear on the cabinet...
Going to practice with the new gun during the week while I wait for cab to cure....plan is to sand smooth on Thursday and re spray Sunday...fingers crossed

#269 7 years ago

Another trip to the automotive paint supply, another $40 (these errors have been costly)...
083_(resized).jpg083_(resized).jpg

Got a little busy at work, didn't get a chance to work on it again until this morning...I sanded the entire cabinet with 400 grit and the palm sander...it is amazing how long I could sand and not get to the paint underneath.. I was worried about sanding through to the artwork but I didn't come close... Its not perfectly smooth but its close and its a lot better than it was...now if I can just get a good coat of clear laid down with this next attempt I can move on to the next step....
085_(resized).jpg085_(resized).jpg
To be honest at this point I have somewhat lost track of how much time I have invested in this, I know it is far more than I thought it would be. Although my plan was to accurately document time and dollars spent, I will have to ballpark the time (right now my estimate is between "a butt load" and "a shit ton") but I should be accurate on dollars (also approaching "butt load" status).
All in all I am still having a great time doing this however I must admit that my interest in the project did get tested here and there...and probably only one time did I consider setting it on fire...

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I'd wet sand that orange peel with some 400 grit and a block. It will look fine after your next coat.
Just go slow and careful - hand sand wet

This is what I did after above photos were taken...came out looking much better and should be fine after next coat

Quoted from bam10:

Looks really good. So what is your plan? Clear it 1 more time? You planning to sand and buff?

Hopefully 1 last coat, but I will spray another if needed...not sure yet on buff and polish, will see after it is done

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that the done final sand before clear? It should look all white, you still have low spots.

No, those photos are after palm sanding dry but before block sanding wet...I forgot to take pics of it after wet sanding (I will try to snap a few for those following along at home) ...Damn that automotive clear is tough stuff, but a little scary to spray considering the dangerous nature of the fumes and particles.

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I forgot to take pics of it after wet sanding (I will try to snap a few for those following along at home)

After wet sanding...still some low spots but I sanded until I hit red paint so that's as far as I can go, after the next clear coat I should be able to sand smooth...

017_(resized).jpg017_(resized).jpg

#278 7 years ago

Got a much better coat of cleat laid down today...going to block sand again before another coat

20160530_105810_(resized).jpg20160530_105810_(resized).jpg

20160530_105802_(resized).jpg20160530_105802_(resized).jpg

#280 7 years ago

Whoops...got too thick on the front resulting in some drips near the start button hole (see first picture)..other than that Im happy with the outcome...no where near smooth as glass, more like the surface of the moon if you look real close but from 3 feet away it looks good. Of course I took these photos at angles that really highlight the flaws, in normal lighting its better...
20160604_103746_(resized).jpg20160604_103746_(resized).jpg
20160604_104833_(resized).jpg20160604_104833_(resized).jpg
20160604_104221_(resized).jpg20160604_104221_(resized).jpg
20160604_104650_(resized).jpg20160604_104650_(resized).jpg
20160604_104701_(resized).jpg20160604_104701_(resized).jpg
I will fix the drips in the front in a few days...
On a side note I clear coated my coin door as well and I wish I had not....I think the laquer finish looked better than the clear, next time I will keep it laquer...

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like your ready for the final sanding and buffing.

After I fix the drip what is proper progression through sandpaper grit for final finish?

Quoted from hd60609:

Looking great! Way beyond good...

Thank You

#285 7 years ago

Perfect...thank you

#286 7 years ago

600 wet sanding took care of the drips quickly and cleanly...
127_(resized).jpg127_(resized).jpg
then progressed through 2000 grit wet sanding and first application of polish for a decent result...
132_(resized).jpg132_(resized).jpg
but it still needs more polishing, hopefully I can finish that tomorrow and get the legs on

here the head, cabinet, and playfield are all in the same room for the first time in 4 months...
141_(resized).jpg141_(resized).jpg
144_(resized).jpg144_(resized).jpg

#290 7 years ago

Worked my way through rubbing and polishing compounds and ended up with a beautiful shine... attached the legs with the heavy duty bolt plates by snugging up leg bolts, then pre drilling and installing 8 screws per plate, then fully tightening leg bolts...solid as a rock...
068_(resized).jpg068_(resized).jpg
starting to look like something...I used cab protectors under the legs but trimmed where the bottom hung below the cab...
066_(resized).jpg066_(resized).jpg
064_(resized).jpg064_(resized).jpg
then installed screen and ground wire in head....
069_(resized).jpg069_(resized).jpg
I installed the boardset and misc hardware into head but that's as far as I got, had to spend most of the weekend helping my son remove, straighten, reinforce and reinstall a bent cross member in his 2500HD...

#292 7 years ago

So at this point are you reassembling the entire game or is there more work to do before that?

The cab itself just needs the sawdust from drilling pilot holes for the leg plates vacuumed out, then I will consider the cab restoration part of the project complete. Most all the other components have been cleaned and are awaiting installation. I had tried to clean and polish the side rails and lockdown bar but have been unhappy with the (barely noticable) results. As a result I will wet sand them and then attempt to "regrain" them. Once the rails are installed the rest will be just putting the pieces back together and de-bugging once its assembled. At this point the only parts I still need to order are the lift channel and perimeter trim for the backglass from Gatecrasher, but I'm sure I will need a few odds and ends as I progress.
I will have a breakdown of dollars spent and also of approx hours worked. Along with a summary of important lessons learned, tips for other newbies who attempt this and other observations.
Getting close to the finish line now, I have some feelers out for my next project pin. The next one will likely include a playfield swap as well as complete repaint. Of course this will be after I take a break and enjoy some pinball for a change.

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Those flat slot screws you used on the leg plates are a PIA to work with. I stay away from them every chance I get unless that is what the factory used (which is the case on most of my Gottlieb EM games).
Go with phillips head screws every chance you get.
Nice work though.

Lol...I knew that would be the first thing someone would notice It was an incredible hassle but I have been trying to get this on its legs for so long when I finally got time to work on it I had to use what I had on hand and these were the only ones I had enough of.

#296 7 years ago

That or hex head wood screws. Then you can also use a socket and / or ratchet if needed to remove them.
Example: https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11135097

Yes, these would have been the fastener of choice, used with a cordless drill and 1/4" or 5/16" magnetic driver

Ordered my lift channel and trim for the back glass from Gatecrasher today...hope to have it soon...

Started to put it back together...actually went together fairly quickly with no problems... a few more brackets and doo dads to install but I should be mounting the head and installing the playfield very soon...still need to re grain side rails and lockdown bar as well...here as some pics as I progressed...
011_(resized).jpg011_(resized).jpg
012_(resized).jpg012_(resized).jpg

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from Major-Havoc:

Looks great. I would have gone with the smaller, hidden leg protectors. Can't wait to see it all back together.

This is the first time I have used these cab protectors, I don't like the way they look and will probably just remove them. I tried trimming them to make them look better but they still suck.

#305 7 years ago

Pretty much all done as far as the focus of this thread goes...the cab is complete and for all the challenges that arose I think it looks great.
Just need to slip in the playfield and light board, change out leg protectors, and start working out the issues that will pop up once I boot it up, also waiting for lift channel so until it arrives I am keeping the back glass safely in storage...I will post some wrap up pics when it is all lit up and playing, along with my project summary.
I just wanted to take this moment to thank everybody who helped with advice along the way, and also to those who supplied me with parts...I greatly appreciate the assistance...

some quick shots of completed cabinet
036_(resized).jpg036_(resized).jpg
032_(resized).jpg032_(resized).jpg
031_(resized).jpg031_(resized).jpg

#309 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My light up ones would make the art work on the front sizzle.

They look great, I am looking forward to installing some on my IMVE, MET and SM.
However I dont think that is the look I am going for on this machine.

#316 7 years ago

everything works 100% right out of the gate, got to play some games tonight...plays nice with the new flipper mechs

Pin Porn Pics...
092_(resized).jpg092_(resized).jpg
091_(resized).jpg091_(resized).jpg
090_(resized).jpg090_(resized).jpg

20160618_205105_(resized).jpg20160618_205105_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#333 7 years ago

History of quarter

Quoted from cosmokramer:

When I was tearing down the game I found a 1986 quarter stuck in the bottom rear of the cab. I was going to hold on to it and toss it back into the cab when this project is finished, only because the quarter is from 1986- same year as pinbot.

Instead I am using it to fill the top, bigger hole in coin door. Now it will always be with the game...

Been out of town for a week, summary coming soon...

#334 7 years ago

This will be my last entry in this thread unless it is to answer any questions posted...I am going to post a summary here, it will take a few days for me to complete it but it will all be contained in this post eventually...

Overview:
Got a pinbot that was 100% working with a nice playfield but the cab had damage and paint peel...tore down game...repaired, primed, painted, stenciled then clear coated cabinet...tore down playfield, complete shop job lots of new parts...re assembled game.

This was my first attempt at doing any degree of restoration, some I did right the first time, some I did not...
here's some tips for those trying this for the first time...

Things I did right:

kept a good attitude
picked a great title to restore
took an incredible amount of pictures
took my time
asked questions
listened to responses to asked questions
researched unfamiliar tasks
had fun
used proper safety gear
labeled and separated parts with great detail
used pinball pimp stencils (accept no substitute)
made sure to have ample space to work
paid attention to detail
made sure a step was completed before moving on
had proper tools

Things I did wrong:

went into this project expecting close to perfection
paid too much for my base game (not that it wasn't worth what I paid I just wish I would have bought one in worse condition for less so I could have budgeted to install a new playfield and plastic set)
sprayed base coat too thin
sprayed stencil colors WAY too thick
didn't sand between stencil colors
dry sanded instead of wet sanded between stencil colors and between stencil and clear
changed spray gun mid project without spending ample time to get it dialed in
didn't do a thorough job masking before spraying stencil and got overspray
didn't check stencils for any sections that should have been "weeded" when cut but were missed

more to come...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cosmokramer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-attempt-at-cabinet-restoration-lets-see-how-it-turns-out?tu=cosmokramer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.