(Topic ID: 150874)

DONE DONE AND DONE ***first attempt at cabinet restoration(pinbot).

By cosmokramer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160618_205105_(resized).jpg
087_(resized).jpg
090_(resized).jpg
091_(resized).jpg
092_(resized).jpg
036_(resized).jpg
032_(resized).jpg
031_(resized).jpg
026_(resized).jpg
012_(resized).jpg
011_(resized).jpg
005_(resized).jpg
11135097_(resized).jpg
069_(resized).jpg
064_(resized).jpg
068_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 8 years ago

I think you should definitely go with that last picture for the cabinet color. Nice match.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think you should definitely go with that last picture for the cabinet color. Nice match.

Well, you changed your last picture, which cancelled my joke. Buzzkill...

3 weeks later
#40 8 years ago

Really a beautiful job, buddy! I was thinking of making my own cabinet and thought I'd need a CNC cutter to do it, but you just showed me that's not necessary. Thanks!

1 month later
#143 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Wow - you ARE Cosmo!
That really sucks... I would definitely fill that gap with Dyna-Glass or Duraglas. It will fill the gap nicely and then feather it with a light skim of U-Pol Dolphin Glaze. It will look perfect when your done.
I hate that you had that issue. I am still waiting for it to get warm enough to spray here. It's not been 65 degrees yet .
Keep up the good work.

Who needs 65 degrees? I've been spraying all weekend. The paint has handled fine in the 50s.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

Yeah - so I see... Guess I need to get with it and get my project going.

I blame my painting mistakes on the lower temperatures, though...

You can never stop learning in pinball restorations (top restorers have recently told me how they still constantly improve through their mistakes). Cosmo, you're doing a great job. Don't get down from your setbacks...I've got my own to overcome. Sometimes you just want to say f**k it and burn it all. Gotta hang in there!

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

hmmmm, it really does look better in person than in that photo... ^^^^^^^

So do I.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Back on track after a minor setback... dished out the area and filled it, sanded smooth and primed...If all goes well then I will spray final coats of black tomorrow and let it dry for about a week until I have time to stencil...Pinball Pimps stencils arrived yesterday.....
009_(resized).jpg

Tell me about the minor setback, buddy. Wait until you see my next update on the AFM. I hate cabinet work...

1 week later
#162 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Cool...what game are you doing?

He's practicing on a Kenmore refrigerator box.

#173 8 years ago

Looks great, Cosmo. Don't worry about imperfections. My AFM job has really been an exercise in humility. I've absolutely F'ed up every step of the way and had to spend double time fixing it as best as possible. Pinball's not perfect, and your job looks great. Keep up the good work!

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I've only done a few stencil jobs and have yet to have any of them go perfect. Always a little touching up. Doing a Fathom now...we'll see if we are getting better at it! Certainly not the stencil makers fault...at least in this case. Can't say enough how much I like Pinballpimps stencils. My Twisted Pins KISS stencils were a joke and I also have a set of their stencils for Centaur which I will throw in the garbage.

Even the stencil jobs from the factory weren't perfect. They certainly didn't spend a lot of time trying to make sure everything was perfect...in fact, some people prefer the overspray (underspray?) look because it makes it look more "original."

Any restoration should aim to produce a machine that looks BETTER than it did when it left the factory, and Cosmo is doing just that.

#187 8 years ago

Nice work, Cosmo...my only suggestion is that you might consider running an orbital sander lightly over the wood section of the bottom to make it look new again down there. But it looks really great!

And PS - I don't see any problem with the stencils...I'll probably be asking you for tips when I do my next game.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yeah, when I started this project it was just going to be a quick cab repaint....then once I took the playfield out I told myself that a light cleaning would give me something to do in the down time between cab painting...I now have 30 hours into the playfield alone with another 10 to go....

Let me know when you get to 100 hours. I'm getting there quickly. That's the problem with restorations...you keep finding just ONE more thing to do...

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I know the "I want to kick the sh)* out of something feeling.

I know who I want to kick the shit out of...

Welcome to the wonderful world of restorations, Cosmo! And I want to echo what Pinterest said...to the untrained eye, it looks incredible. I REALLY had to look for the flaws (because I've never owned a Pinbot so I don't know what I'm looking for), so 99% of the people wouldn't even know what was wrong. Have a second go at it and you'll be fine. Chin up, brother...

1 month later
#273 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Another trip to the automotive paint supply, another $40 (these errors have been costly)...

Been there, done that! You should be glad it was only $40. Looks great, though!

2 weeks later
#306 7 years ago

Beautiful job!

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

everything works 100% right out of the gate,

Must be nice.

#323 7 years ago

No. Still have a few issues - mostly with mods. One switch problem. But in all fairness, when you do a cabinet restoration, that's usually not where you have playing issues when you fire it up again. When you tear the whole playfield down to each individual wire, you're asking for problems. But my boob job plays great, thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beelzeboob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-attempt-at-cabinet-restoration-lets-see-how-it-turns-out?tu=beelzeboob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.