(Topic ID: 150874)

DONE DONE AND DONE ***first attempt at cabinet restoration(pinbot).

By cosmokramer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160618_205105_(resized).jpg
087_(resized).jpg
090_(resized).jpg
091_(resized).jpg
092_(resized).jpg
036_(resized).jpg
032_(resized).jpg
031_(resized).jpg
026_(resized).jpg
012_(resized).jpg
011_(resized).jpg
005_(resized).jpg
11135097_(resized).jpg
069_(resized).jpg
064_(resized).jpg
068_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bam10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 8 years ago

Im not familiar with the products that you are using, it looks like you have 3 components for the clear. Is the basecoat ready to spray or do you need a reducer for that too? The black should give you good coverage but red and yellow over black will probably be poor hiding. Stick with more light coats because if you get heavy it will take forever to dry. Im not sure that you need to wait 3 weeks for the black to dry, check with your supplier.

#114 8 years ago

When you paint your cabinet black paint a piece of scrap too so you can test your red and yellow, then you will have an idea what to expect.

1 week later
#130 8 years ago

I dont think it should be necessary to wait days to put a second coat of automotive base on. The stuff is designed to be put on with a minimum flash time between coat with sanding optional only if needed. When I do a 2 tone on a car with product I use (standox) its typically 2 or 3 coats of the first color with 5 or 10 minutes between coats. 20 minutes later I am masking for the second color and ready to spray. 2 to 3 more coats for coverage and im ready for clear. Sanding might be needed if you wait to long, called recoat time and should be listed on your product. The spray can products will have much slower dry times.

4 weeks later
#205 7 years ago

It looks great overall. You have a plan to fix it, keep your head up and it will look great when you're done. Once its back together you'll forget all about it (mostly).

3 weeks later
#249 7 years ago

Looks really good so far. I always use 800 grit. Be careful on the corners. Then a scotchbrite pad on any shiny spots that are left.

#251 7 years ago

Scuff to recoat time varies from product to product. The clear I use says 12 hours. I like to do a little more than just scotchbrite because you remove both texture and trash. Of course if you sand and buff at the end those will be removed in that step. Most sanding I do is by da sander so it goes quicker than by hand.

1 week later
#270 7 years ago

Looks really good. So what is your plan? Clear it 1 more time? You planning to sand and buff?

3 weeks later
#320 7 years ago

Congratulations, that is a beautiful pinbot. Looks fantastic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bam10.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-attempt-at-cabinet-restoration-lets-see-how-it-turns-out?tu=bam10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.