Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151220_191741 (resized).jpg
    AD45F516-71B7-4CDB-AE7E-325DD56F901B (resized).jpeg
    820ED8FF-9CF1-4DF4-93ED-88D32D7FCBBB (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Any of you Gottlieb groupies out there know what the first and last machines were that had arch lighting?

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Any of you Gottlieb groupies out there know what the first and last machines were that had arch lighting?

the first game with a metal arch had lighting (11/60 Flipper), the last i would guess in late 68 because jan./69 spin a card had none. i never looked into this one to come up with last game w/ lights

#3 3 years ago

Fun Land from May 68 does not have them.

#4 3 years ago

So is Fun Land the first one that didn't have them?

#5 3 years ago

Which underneath metal top arch (red/yellow color lens lighting) set up is correct. King of Diamonds or Buckaroo?

AD45F516-71B7-4CDB-AE7E-325DD56F901B (resized).jpegAD45F516-71B7-4CDB-AE7E-325DD56F901B (resized).jpeg820ED8FF-9CF1-4DF4-93ED-88D32D7FCBBB (resized).jpeg820ED8FF-9CF1-4DF4-93ED-88D32D7FCBBB (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

So is Fun Land the first one that didn't have them?

I don't know for sure. I do know my Dodge City does have them. That leaves a lot of games in between to make the change.

#7 3 years ago

I think it might be Melody (has), Surf Side (doesn't)...

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Which underneath metal top arch (red/yellow color lens lighting) set up is correct. King of Diamonds or Buckaroo?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Personally, I like the look of the red on the insides, yellow outside... so the opposite is probably correct.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Personally, I like the look of the red on the insides, yellow outside... so the opposite is probably correct.

I do too. The yellow on the outside brighten up the top arch a little more on the playfield.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I do too. The yellow on the outside brighten up the top arch a little more on the playfield.

I wish the lights would never have gone away. Sure in a lot of cases the bulbs were neglected and burned out. They also make it easy to see years of built up dirt under the arch. Collector games are clean and the bulbs work and these extra bulbs really brighten the top of the playfield and improve the overall look greatly IMO.

#11 3 years ago

I love the arch lighting, but only have one game that has it (Flipper Pool). My others - from 1975 thru 1978 don't....at least they don't now.....muh haa haaaa!

#12 3 years ago

So I haven't seen many games in person that have the arch lighting - were red and yellow filters the standard colors for that, or did it vary per game?

(And nice-looking machines, by the way, Vic!)

#13 3 years ago

And I looked up "Flipper" from November of 1960. So in addition to being the first with arch lighting, that was the first non-woodrail game Gottlieb did and the first wedge-head too? That's a pretty important game - historically-speaking!

(Sorry if this is all old news to you guys - I'm still pretty new to all this, and I'm interested in the history of the machines.)

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

So I haven't seen many games in person that have the arch lighting - were red and yellow filters the standard colors for that, or did it vary per game?
    (And nice-looking machines, by the way, Vic!)

Gottlieb also shows a green "plastic light shade" in addition to the red and yellow in their parts catalog, in *four* different lengths (were they used for more than arch lighting?). PBR adds blue and amber, for a grand total of 5 colors!

A random sampling from IPDB only showed the red/yellow combination. I'll also claim that red in the middle dominated, but I might be biased...

#15 3 years ago

it was either surf side or a game either side of that in production.

surf side had the 4 holes cut in the lower nickle platted arch but no lights on the upper playfield

#16 3 years ago

DaMoib - I worked on a 1957 Silver that had some of those filters in places other than the arch - I think they were around the center roto-target...possibly orange or amber. And possibly Slick Chick, if I remember correctly - the targets are kind of color-coded (amber for chick, green for slick, purple for both) and I think some lights near the associated targets had those colored filters on them.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

it was either surf side or a game either side of that in production.
    surf side had the 4 holes cut in the lower nickle platted arch but no lights on the upper playfield

if i had to bet, surf side would be the 1st game without the lights

20151220_191741 (resized).jpg20151220_191741 (resized).jpg
    #18 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Gottlieb also shows a green "plastic light shade" in addition to the red and yellow in their parts catalog, in *four* different lengths (were they used for more than arch lighting?). PBR adds blue and amber, for a grand total of 5 colors!
    A random sampling from IPDB only showed the red/yellow combination. I'll also claim that red in the middle dominated, but I might be biased...

These colored plastic sleeves were used for several purposes. '70s games used them over the lamps for the illuminated coin chute.
    I've only come across red, yellow, and amber on EM games. Blue and green may be for more modern SS games, like "Xenon", and "Hulk" perhaps.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

if i had to bet, surf side would be the 1st game without the lights[quoted image]

But if you used the nickel plated arch with the holes still in it, you could use it as a template for installing the lamp sockets.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

But if you used the nickel plated arch with the holes still in it, you could use it as a template for installing the lamp sockets.

Yup. All you need is the location, the sockets, and jump off the GI circuit and ground.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-and-last-gottliebs-with-arch-lighting?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.