(Topic ID: 122679)

First (of 30+) AMH sold at TPF (AMH sold out!)

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 316 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Euchrid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0091.JPG
DSCF0389.JPG
DSCF2800.JPG
DSCF3436.JPG
256px-BibleAdventuresBoxart.jpg
spookyshow.jpg
20150328_112556.jpg
20150328_112552.jpg
IMG_20150327_173941584.jpg
image-652.jpg
image.jpg
yeah.gif
critic.gif
robinhood.gif
sprockets.gif
sally.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Ok, I'm officially off the fence. Played AMH this morning and again in the tournament and decided to order one.

Had a nice conversation with Charlie at the Spooky booth and it was a pleasure to talk with someone down to earth and quietly passionate about what he does.

Running a small business is hard; running a small pinball business is 100x harder, but it seems they get it and are positioned for the long haul with a planned mix of both original theme and licensed games with a target of building a game a day and (eventually) a new title a year, though that won't be for a while.

My original impression of AMH was that it was somewhat of a simple game, but that changed after some game play. I don't know all the rules yet, but the game is light years from where it was at Expo 13 and it's pretty obvious that Ben is committed to really fine tuning the code.

The playfield looks better in person than in pictures - some say the PF art isn't "polished" enough, but I disagree. There's still something about the callouts that don't seem quite right, but being somewhat campy, they fit right in with the art and overall look of the game. I get the concerns about lighting, but they seem easy enough to address. Ben, Charlie and the team mixed the right levels of campiness, cheesiness and original art to transform Ghost Hunters into America's Most Haunted.

My biggest problem with the game is that I don't know where I'm going to put it - something will have to be sold by the end of summer to make room. But I'm glad to be part of the Spooky family and support a company that is now the front runner in the bootique (!) pinball business - no games, no BS, no stupid PR moves or taking customers or potential customers for granted.

If you are at TPF and on the fence - go play the game and talk to Kaytee and the folks at the booth. I really do think the last 40 games will sell out fairly quickly.

(4/12/15 update: AMH is now sold out!; there are 10 reserved for Austrailia, and the 150th game will be auctioned for charity. Additional requests may be honored if all games reserved for Austrailia do not sell)

#3 4 years ago

P.S. Played WNBJM. If you're going to spend $6k on a game, poor Nellie doesn't fare well compared to the ghosts ...

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What were these priced at? $6500?

$6000 + shipping.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

pics or it didn't happen!

I'll go back and get a picture with KT or Charlie, but here is what I have for now:
image.jpg

#36 4 years ago

If they are up to 10 sold, then that's 4 in the last two hours alone!

Constant lines at the booth to play too ...

They may get to 150 faster than planned.

#57 4 years ago

Every time I go to the booth, they seem to have sold 3-4 more. Double digit sales - best weekend ever for Spooky!

Bet they are all gone before the Denver show.

#77 4 years ago

Charlie and Ben reiterated at their session tonight that 150 is absolutely, positively the limit for AMH. It was originally announced last year as a way to goose sales, but it is now a hard no-matter-what limit.

Charlie also indicated that orders this weekend have far exceeded expectations and that he may go home with no more games left to sell.

If there is an idea of "pinball games flying off the shelf" in today's climate, it appears that AMH fits.

If you are on the fence like I was, you might not have as long to decide as pretty much everyone thought you would a couple days ago ...

So, if you are on the fence, go Nike. Just Do It!

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from fluffybunny:

I played AMH for the first time today and enjoyed it a lot. Game at the show is setup brutally fast but it was still a lot of fun. I was on the fence about purchasing and honestly until I played it I was not thinking about buying a game. I sat in on the seminar and after hearing the story of building the game then seeing pictures of the shop I knew this was a project and company I wanted to get behind so I have a game preordered now and excited for my game!

Welcome to the Dallas Buyer's Club!

Brutally fast is right ... The shoot out from the scoop on the tournament game was wicked fast. Thank God for (a) the ball save and (b) the adjust option for that (didn't see it, but Charley told me it exists).
Must have been a number of tweaks from the Expo 13 version too - pretty much all the shots felt smoother than I remember.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If the main reason you're buying a pin is because the seller held you close and whispered in your ear that not everyone will get to buy one and that only X people have this opportunity then you've got a problem.

With 20+ games sold this weekend and people actually getting a chance to play it, I think it's safe to say that the only problem Spooky has (selling more games than expected) is a good one. Charley is going home and hiring more employees ...

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So roughly 25 left?
I'd say it's time for a fun game of "Guess the date"...

Or maybe even less. KT said she forgot to turn her phone off last night, so she had a bunch of messages/emails/texts that she hadn't gotten to today. So the 20 sold number may not be the final TPF count.

She deserves a lot of credit. In case you don't know, she has a full time job in the real world in addition to doing the ordering, bookkeeping and accounting for Spooky and lost pretty much two full days of work coming to Texas with Charley for "vacation" (if you count running a booth for 30 hours a vacation)

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What's the best looking cabinet?

The newer art for sure. I was toying with having one side of the cabinet be the original art (apparently you can mix/match if you want), but after seeing it in person this weekend I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go with all newer.

It really is amazing how much better the game looks in person compared to photos. Can't explain it - maybe there's something Spooky going on - or maybe it's just me.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Dammit.... Now I want one.

So order one and turn that into a

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Pretty sure they mean the Blue with the swirling ghosts.

Yes. The package that doesn't use photos of real people.

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I pulled the trigger on an AMH this weekend as well, I wanted to go to TPF but couldn't pull it off, I was originally hoping I could make it until Rocky Mountain Showdown but they definitely weren't going to last until then, excited to be in!

Good move. Looks like we have gone from 0 in the Denver area to at least 3.

Based on how quickly they sold this weekend, I'd be stunned if they aren't sold out before RMS.

Congrats.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Oh yeah, my money is on Elvira 3.

From what I heard from Greg and Dennis, I hope you don't have too much money on this ...

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Maybe wishful thinking. ..

I would love to see an Elvira 3. It just doesn't sound like there is anything active in the works any more. Dennis said she wants to do another game, but Cassandra's manager wanted more up front than one guy could do. I read that to mean that the idea was dead until a company stepped in to get the license.

#190 4 years ago

Congrats Ben! If my post started a run on the bank (so to speak), sorry.
I know Charlie didn't want to have orders come in too much faster than he could build the games. But I hope it's a good problem to have.

I'm not going to worry one bit if my game takes more time to build/deliver than expected, and I suspect most who ordered this weekend feel the same. The game is clearly worth waiting for!

The Spooky team has already under promised and over delivered, so you have a lot of good will in the bank. And now you have a little more time to think about game 2 without having to worry about game 1 so much.

#207 4 years ago

I believe the next game is planned for 300 units.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes! That would be great! ELVIRA's Completely Unknown Nameless Terror.....I'm IN!

In your dreams ...

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We just hired two more people... full time cabinet assembly guy, and KT!!!! Can't tell you how happy that makes us. She'll start full time in 30 days... HUGE deal for our family!

Hope she gets some good benefits ... Last I heard, her husband was making her work during her vacation time for some start up company in the middle of nowhere ...

(Congratulations!)

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...but did you "get it?"

Yes, I did. But you aren't "getting in" - unless in your dreams.

(I like your other acronym - EATME - better)

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Charlie, may I suggest to avoid the pre-order drama, perhaps a strategy of starting to show the game when you are ready, but not take pre-orders at all until you are much closer to production.

What makes you think they aren't going to do this?

It's pretty much what they did on AMH (if you don't count the hickup/delay on the Founder's Edition games). I said earlier that it seemed like Spooky's model was more "build to order" than "preorder". I suspect that game 2 will work pretty much the same except that the time between order and delivery will be shorter.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Originally the player *always* lost the captured ball, but then it was suggested "Why not give it back?"
So then we did the "one chance to retry" - which is actually MORE confusing for players.
But I'm leaving it in because a) code works b) adds depth
Maybe I could record Dennis screaming "DON'T MOVE!" after the drain.

The "Don't Move!" Or something similar might help. I was confused the first time it happened to me, half expecting the flippers to be dead, but I love the one more chance approach.

1 week later
#308 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

We had a tourney for the last two spots at MGC.
Game is now sold out!

Good thing I didn't have to play in a tournament for my spot ... I wouldn't have a game on order!

Congratulations to everyone involved with AMH and Spooky Pinball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Normal, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Atlanta, GA
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside