(Topic ID: 122679)

First (of 30+) AMH sold at TPF (AMH sold out!)

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 316 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Euchrid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0091.JPG
DSCF0389.JPG
DSCF2800.JPG
DSCF3436.JPG
256px-BibleAdventuresBoxart.jpg
spookyshow.jpg
20150328_112556.jpg
20150328_112552.jpg
IMG_20150327_173941584.jpg
image-652.jpg
image.jpg
yeah.gif
critic.gif
robinhood.gif
sprockets.gif
sally.gif

There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

No real story. Just liked the yellow, Plus I brake up the colors in my collection of games.
You could play the colors so many ways. Purple(s), green or even white. Once, I custom paint the ghost and door and pull out another little stops on the game should be what I like. I have seen other peoples games, that do what I do to my games for others and some look great and some look like ok whatever you like. I think all machines are that way. There is so many mods that can be done on this game. I spoke with a few people at the show, who do mods shared allot of great ideas. It will be fun to watch what comes out. Plus, it's nice to see Spooky Pinball support pinheads in building mods for their games.

Marty!

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

The only thing that bugged me on the machine at TPF was the lights on the side were kind of wavy and looked like they were coming unglued or something. Does anyone know if those lights are sealed in the cabinet or will I be able to fix them if I need to?

I saw this and asked Charlie. He said there is a small channel in the cabinet thats covered with a plastic piece. It should be easy to get to/manipulate/repair etc.

#253 4 years ago

Spooky Pinball......taking over pinball in America......doing it the right way..........I never had a doubt......congratulations to all my friends at camp Spooky!DSCF3436.JPGDSCF2800.JPG

DSCF0389.JPG
#254 4 years ago

Butch Patrick wants a Munsters Pinball....please!

DSCF0091.JPG
#255 4 years ago

So, Spooky is 5 months behind when ordering an AMH. They will announce Game 2 while still having a major backlog of AMH to build. How can they build AMH and Game 2 at the sametime?

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Told you man, you just had to come further out West!
Super happy for you guys. I'm calling it right now, game 2 is going to sell out its run of twice as many units a whole hell of a lot faster than twice as fast.

I asked in a seperate post but where and how are they going to build these games?

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

So, Spooky is 5 months behind when ordering an AMH. They will announce Game 2 while still having a major backlog of AMH to build. How can they build AMH and Game 2 at the sametime?

To my knowledge, they aren't building game two until all of the AMH's are built. Their plan is to move from one game to the next. Also, they are 10 months backlogged now that they are basically sold out.

#258 4 years ago

As with any game, there will certainly be several months of "showing" any new game before they can deliver them anyways. Prototypes need time to mature, get playtested at shows, etc. So while that period is happening they'll be wrapping up AMH builds.

They won't be turning into Stern overnight by showing a game tomorrow and delivering them to customers the next week.

#259 4 years ago

Right 150 AMH will take until early next spring to build.

By that time next game will be ready and they can switch over to building that.

Probably will be announced this summer.

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Because they built games and put them in people's hands while keeping the pinball drama queens at bay. They have earned EVERY right to announce their next product and start building excitement.

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from Mar:

Come on Charlie, wrap up that Elvira license that seems to be eluding everyone else. The pinball community is depending on you!

Yes! That would be great! ELVIRA's Completely Unknown Nameless Terror.....I'm IN!

#262 4 years ago

over under on how long till Ben spills the beans on game #2?

MGC saturday night, 7 beers in?

#263 4 years ago

So an "estimation" would be 12 months for all AMH to be built and then Game #2 will start being made with Game 2 announced this Summer?

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Right 150 AMH will take until early next spring to build.
By that time next game will be ready and they can switch over to building that.
Probably will be announced this summer.

Gonna do our best to make Ben wrong, but he usually isn't.

We just hired two more people... full time cabinet assembly guy, and KT!!!! Can't tell you how happy that makes us. She'll start full time in 30 days... HUGE deal for our family!

We're at 3 a week comfortably in the next month... and once we get close to #2 being built, we'll shoot for a game a day. On game #2, I want a good batch sitting here and ready to go out the door to their owners prior to shipping launch day.

I hate pre-orders, and I hate making people wait. Hope there is a day we can eliminate both of those things, but it's a tall order at this size company.

We'll never stop trying to eliminate both! CAN'T WAIT FOR MGC!!!

#265 4 years ago

based on their FB page it appears spooky is hiring a few more minions. I am guessing we will see a slight uptick in the number of game made per week.

Chuck seems to have the right idea of hire and train skilled labor, and then time things corrcetly so you can keep that skilled labor employeed for the long haul.

From last account I think they were around 45ish built? That means 105 to go at 2 per week = 52 weeks. If they end up doing 3 or more per week then that time obviously gets shorter.

Either way, game #2 will surely need a decent amount of play testing and tweaking before they even think about full production. To me is seems liek they have everything on a really nice timing currently.

I am excited for #2 and what is sure to be some amazing artwork. I am also excited to see the refined layout of number 2. I liked what I saw at MGC last year, but agree that it needed some polish.

If Spooky is looking for a local show to debut #2 in summer, Mad Rollin Pinball Charity event will be on August 28-29 wink wink nudge nudge...

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes! That would be great! ELVIRA's Completely Unknown Nameless Terror.....I'm IN!

In your dreams ...

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We just hired two more people... full time cabinet assembly guy, and KT!!!! Can't tell you how happy that makes us. She'll start full time in 30 days... HUGE deal for our family!

That is so awesome! All of your guys hard work is finally paying off....

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

In your dreams ...

...but did you "get it?"

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I think the concept is that you already drained, but you have the opportunity to stay alive by hitting the door within the time allotted, like the TOTO shot.

From my experience of draining out in the same circumstances, this is correct. But it's not just a simple "hit the door" --- you must complete the 2nd stage of the mode that releases your locked ball and begins the two-ball MB. I both did this successfully and also drained during the 2nd go-round of the mode.

Frax, did you have the timer run out during your re-try of the 2nd stage, and the flippers go dead with a ball loose on the PF, plus the one ball locked in the saucer?

#270 4 years ago

Hope she gets some good benefits ... Last I heard, her husband was making her work during her vacation time for some start up company in the middle of nowhere ...

(Congratulations!)

#271 4 years ago

I hate pre-orders, and I hate making people wait.

Charlie, may I suggest to avoid the pre-order drama, perhaps a strategy of starting to show the game when you are ready, but not take pre-orders at all until you are much closer to production. People will be shouting "Shut up and take my money!" but it might be better for everyone if you hold firm, create an email list for interested people, but do nothing more than that until you are ready.

It seems like where things start to turn on pre-orders is when money is sent ahead, and then unanticipated snafus pop up in the road delaying things.

Without money on the line, gives you more flexibility with releasing it when it is 100% ready, and no one getting upset.

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...but did you "get it?"

Yes, I did. But you aren't "getting in" - unless in your dreams.

(I like your other acronym - EATME - better)

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I like your other acronym - EATME - better

Me too...

#274 4 years ago

Doctor Ghost:

You have to hit the door 3 times, but you can only do it when the ghost is "distracted" (dialog helps but hard to hear at show) When ghost is distracted he turns slowly back towards the door so you must hit it within that time.

So it's ghost, door, ghost, door, ghost door MULTIBALL!

Each mode has 1 "quick restart" per player, per game.

So if you fail to release the ball in Doctor Mode, it gives you that ball behind the door back. If you can get it back into the door within 5 seconds, the mode restarts.

If you fail a second time, the ball behind the door is drained as well. A similar thing happens in Bar Ghost mode.

All other modes if you fail, that mode is re-lit for a one-shot restart on your next ball. Again, one easy "restart" per game, if you fail twice, you have to re-advance it.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

based on their FB page it appears spooky is hiring a few more minions. I am guessing we will see a slight uptick in the number of game made per week.
Chuck seems to have the right idea of hire and train skilled labor, and then time things corrcetly so you can keep that skilled labor employeed for the long haul.
From last account I think they were around 45ish built? That means 105 to go at 2 per week = 52 weeks. If they end up doing 3 or more per week then that time obviously gets shorter.
Either way, game #2 will surely need a decent amount of play testing and tweaking before they even think about full production. To me is seems liek they have everything on a really nice timing currently.
I am excited for #2 and what is sure to be some amazing artwork. I am also excited to see the refined layout of number 2. I liked what I saw at MGC last year, but agree that it needed some polish.
If Spooky is looking for a local show to debut #2 in summer, Mad Rollin Pinball Charity event will be on August 28-29 wink wink nudge nudge...

I don't know if I will have mine by then but if I do I might bring it to mad rollin as my game.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Charlie, may I suggest to avoid the pre-order drama, perhaps a strategy of starting to show the game when you are ready, but not take pre-orders at all until you are much closer to production.

What makes you think they aren't going to do this?

It's pretty much what they did on AMH (if you don't count the hickup/delay on the Founder's Edition games). I said earlier that it seemed like Spooky's model was more "build to order" than "preorder". I suspect that game 2 will work pretty much the same except that the time between order and delivery will be shorter.

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What makes you think they aren't going to do this?
It's pretty much what they did on AMH (if you don't count the hickup/delay on the Founder's Edition games). I said earlier that it seemed like Spooky's model was more "build to order" than "preorder". I suspect that game 2 will work pretty much the same except that the time between order and delivery will be shorter.

I agree that they did do this for AMH pretty much. The only reason I restated it, is there are a few differences between then and now:

-AMH was slow out of the gate. When they opened orders, there were basically none at first.

-AMH was unlicensed theme.

-They were an unproven entity.

Now they are proven to delivery games, have huge community support, will be getting lots more attention and have a licensed theme that may very well sell itself. So there will be a lot more "Shut Up and Take my Money!" being yelled at them this time.

The other difference is we've seen first hand this past year how other companies have floundered after taking money (MMR), and that generated a lot of negativity. So its much more clear today what works and what doesn't.

Having said that I am 100% behind the Spooky crew, they've done right by everyone so far. So my suggestion was just that - trying to be a helpful suggestion, not a criticism.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Doctor Ghost:
You have to hit the door 3 times, but you can only do it when the ghost is "distracted" (dialog helps but hard to hear at show) When ghost is distracted he turns slowly back towards the door so you must hit it within that time.
So if you fail to release the ball in Doctor Mode, it gives you that ball behind the door back. If you can get it back into the door within 5 seconds, the mode restarts.
If you fail a second time, the ball behind the door is drained as well. A similar thing happens in Bar Ghost mode.
All other modes if you fail, that mode is re-lit for a one-shot restart on your next ball. Again, one easy "restart" per game, if you fail twice, you have to re-advance it.

So this logic assumes that the ball the player is given is a replacement for the ball that is being held, and if this ball is drained then the entire ball is over, unlike say Star Trek where the ball given to the player is in addition to the locked ball, and even if the player fails to release that ball it will still be returned to the player upon draining of the replacement ball.

I imagine that the way it's done in AMH might feel a bit cheap to a casual player who sees his or her own ball right there on the playfield, and even dropped right back into play, but then is barred from continuing to use it.

But on the other side, as a competitive player I prefer the difficulty.

I'm not sure if there's an option for it already, but if not then maybe on an easier difficulty or non-tournament mode that flipper shut off should be disabled, as so casual/location players don't feel ripped off by the game.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Doctor Ghost:

I like this a lot. Leave it as is.

#280 4 years ago

Morning... so that's what sleep feels like?! I should get more of that.
Just letting everyone know we are absolutely behind after Texas in every way. We still haven't unloaded the car & trailer completely! Remember... the minions are building away (including our new full time cabinet assembly guy who started yesterday) while KT and I scramble on the rest.
We'll sit down tonight and sort it all out. KT (she still has a day job... for now) and I were both getting panic'd emails all weekend once the news got out of how good Texas was with people requesting games. They are still coming in every hour or so.
Also... we promised games to Australia, and WE WILL make that happen. it may be a small batch of 10 at this point.
So if we aren't getting back to you as fast as normal please understand... we will. Need to sort out all the games sold in person at the Texas Pinball Festival, Australia, KT's email requests, and my email requests... we'll offer the remaining games in email order received until we hit 149... then 150 goes to the charity auction.
We're doing our best. Never in a million years thought we'd have the type of weekend we did in Texas. Great first world problems to have!
Thanks everyone. Go back to speculating on what game #2 could be and how Ben Heck would look illustrated-up with ripped muscles, riding on a stallion, crashing through the walls of Jericho, on the back glass of Bible Adventures.

So production should soon go into full gear with your sleeveless crew coming in for the summer

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I think the concept is that you already drained, but you have the opportunity to stay alive by hitting the door within the time allotted, like the TOTO shot.

This would be fine, except that there's no indication it's "life or death", the second ball is just sitting there on the playfield where you would expect it to come back into play.. **AND** if you don't restart the mode, but go play another mode, you don't have the penalty of "sudden death".

Basically, you are a sucker if you failed the mode and quick restart it. There's absolutely no incentive to do so given that you can start it, go for a multiball using this "free" ball, and the penalty for failure on quick restart is loss of both balls that are "in play" on the playfield. It's not that hard to make four shots to some other mode to start it and not be penalized in this way.

I should mention that on Sunday morning, I had a game that was over 150 million...which was ridiculous beyond compare to any of the tournament scores I had seen. I had like three or four extra balls (oops? Why were those even on in a tourney bank? One was from mystery..), and fully finished four different modes. The game is very fun, I like it a lot..I just don't like this ONE aspect. When I get a chance to play it again, I'm definitely not shooting for the quick restarts.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Frax, did you have the timer run out during your re-try of the 2nd stage, and the flippers go dead with a ball loose on the PF, plus the one ball locked in the saucer?

Yes.

#283 4 years ago

Originally the player *always* lost the captured ball, but then it was suggested "Why not give it back?"

So then we did the "one chance to retry" - which is actually MORE confusing for players.

But I'm leaving it in because a) code works b) adds depth

Maybe I could record Dennis screaming "DON'T MOVE!" after the drain.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Originally the player *always* lost the captured ball, but then it was suggested "Why not give it back?"
So then we did the "one chance to retry" - which is actually MORE confusing for players.
But I'm leaving it in because a) code works b) adds depth
Maybe I could record Dennis screaming "DON'T MOVE!" after the drain.

The "Don't Move!" Or something similar might help. I was confused the first time it happened to me, half expecting the flippers to be dead, but I love the one more chance approach.

#285 4 years ago

If you don't quick (or slow??) restart the same mode, is it supposed to kill the flippers and let that ball drain? It did not appear to at TPF, but from what you are saying sounds like it should. I wanted to talk to you and Charlie at the show about this thing, but never got any time away from the tourney bank. =P

I didn't find the kickout of the captured ball up to the wireform to be confusing at all...that was expected behavior to me. It's the SECOND time, when it kicked it up to the wireform and killed my flippers that I was confused. And pissed. Need some indicator you're in a sudden death situation...if there's one there, we probably couldn't hear it over the noise at the show, which is a bummer. "Better finish it this time!"

#286 4 years ago

I'm not clear on what you guys are talking about with the sudden death. If you drain on the ghost, you can get your trapped ball back. The timer counts down giving you time to shoot the door to restart the mode. If you don't restart the mode, the game continues. The flippers shouldn't die. If you restart, but fail the mode again, then yes you are done, but at this point you have drained twice.

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

f you restart, but fail the mode again, then yes you are done, but at this point you have drained twice.

It still kills the flippers if the ball is in play and the timer runs out, yes? That's the problem. If the game is going to do that, I want a heads up that something is going on.. I don't want to sit there cradling the ball to try and line up a shot, I want to be furiously attempting to clear that mode and hopefully not die. Audio cues would be great here. You don't have to drain the ball to fail a mode.

#288 4 years ago

The first time you fail Doctor Ghost, you get the trapped ball back.

If you can shoot it back behind the door in 5 seconds, Doctor Ghost immediately restarts.

If you don't shoot it back in time, game continues normally (and you have to re-advance Doctor mode)

If you start Doctor Ghost a SECOND time, and fail, the trapped ball gets drained.

One quick restart per mode, per player, per game.

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It still kills the flippers if the ball is in play and the timer runs out, yes? That's the problem.

No, it doesn't. That's what I am saying. If the timer runs out, gameplay resumes normally. At least, it should. As Ben said, the only penalty for not restarting would be that you have to re-advance the doctor ghost. There's never a time where you are flipping the ball and the flippers just go dead because the timer ran down.

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The first time you fail Doctor Ghost, you get the trapped ball back.
If you can shoot it back behind the door in 5 seconds, Doctor Ghost immediately restarts.
If you don't shoot it back in time, game continues normally (and you have to re-advance Doctor mode)
If you start Doctor Ghost a SECOND time, and fail, the trapped ball gets drained.
One quick restart per mode, per player, per game.

makes perfect sense to me and another one of the things I really like in the code

#291 4 years ago

I should add that I just tested this. I started the doctor ghost and drained intentionally. It gave me the trapped ball back. I cradled the ball and let the timer countdown to zero. Nothing happened. The game continued in normal play.

#292 4 years ago

Can confirm... No timer that auto drains the ball.

I love the two modes that have a second chance... This also happens during Bar Ghost mode. Adds a level of strategy if you get to ball 3, and need to get something happening. These two modes give you an extra chance.... which I often/always need.

#293 4 years ago

Just curious. Are there any rule changes from regular/free play to tournament play? Can you change the settings so the ball does drain after timer runs out?

#294 4 years ago

Gonna do our best to make Ben wrong, but he usually isn't.

The American Dream still lives! Good for you guys!

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I should add that I just tested this. I started the doctor ghost and drained intentionally. It gave me the trapped ball back. I cradled the ball and let the timer countdown to zero. Nothing happened. The game continued in normal play.

You guys are missing the damn point entirely. What you just said is exactly the behavior I reported above, and you completely ignored the part about it being AFTER THE RESTART. I don't know how to be any more clear about it.

1. Start Ghost Doctor.
2. Drain ball.
3. DURING QUICK RESTART TIMER, RESTART GHOST DOCTOR.
4. DO NOT DRAIN WHILE TIMER IS RUNNING... report results.

I'm reporting what *actually happened* to me at the show, so either it was a glitch, or none of you understand what I'm saying, which I find hard to believe. It makes absolutely no sense at all what Betelgeuse is saying above.....I really doubt the game just keeps a ball captive behind the door.

Not to mention that I had someone else report the exact same thing happened to another player so.....yeah. I'm not even going to try to explain this for a fifth time. Anyways..it's not a buy/no-buy killer IMO, but something to consider for people playing the game the first time or in a tournament.

#296 4 years ago

Wow...

I think we all see what you said, but were relaying that is not how the rules are written, and not how it works on our machines.

You even said: "It still kills the flippers if the ball is in play and the timer runs out, yes? That's the problem."

So... two of us, were letting you know... THAT is actually NOT the problem.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You guys are missing the damn point entirely. What you just said is exactly the behavior I reported above, and you completely ignored the part about it being AFTER THE RESTART. I don't know how to be any more clear about it.

1. Start Ghost Doctor.
2. Drain ball.
3. DURING QUICK RESTART TIMER, RESTART GHOST DOCTOR.
4. DO NOT DRAIN WHILE TIMER IS RUNNING... report results.

You're right, I don't get what you are saying.

Quoted from Frax:

It still kills the flippers if the ball is in play and the timer runs out, yes?

I don't understand what timer would be AFTER the restart. You restart the mode from the beginning. If you drain your ball again, then you are fubar. At that point, the flippers are dead and the trapped ball gets kicked out and drains also.

#298 4 years ago

I played AMH at a friends house this week. I tell you the truth, i like it. Is it a AFM or a MB, well no it isn't. But its different, cool sounds, killer speaker system and just fun to play.

#299 4 years ago

Some friends and I got in a ton of playtime last night and ran into the same bug twice throughout the night. Once it was in a single player game and the other time it was a 3 player game. On ball 2, the third minion was one hit away from starting ghost minion multiball when we drained. On ball 3, when we lowered the shield and hit the ghost again, it immediately defeated the 3rd minion without starting the multiball. It did still advance to the 4th minion after that, so the player was cheated out of their minion multiball.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

the player was cheated out of their minion multiball.

I'm glad to hear this happened again after I left. It was disappointing to chop away and not get the Minion MB.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Machine - For Sale
Atlanta, GA
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Normal, IL
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 299.00
There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside