(Topic ID: 122679)

First (of 30+) AMH sold at TPF (AMH sold out!)

By jfh

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 316 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Euchrid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0091.JPG
DSCF0389.JPG
DSCF2800.JPG
DSCF3436.JPG
256px-BibleAdventuresBoxart.jpg
spookyshow.jpg
20150328_112556.jpg
20150328_112552.jpg
IMG_20150327_173941584.jpg
image-652.jpg
image.jpg
yeah.gif
critic.gif
robinhood.gif
sprockets.gif
sally.gif

There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Army of Darkness!

The Evil Dead . Or for more humor Evil Dead 2 . The Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown got pushed back to June 2015 . I was hoping to see Spooky pinball AMH in Colorado . But it sounds like it will not happen .

#52 4 years ago

I'd sell my middle nut for a themed Evil Dead game. Until then... Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!

#53 4 years ago

Zombie-Square Pants? Wait, that would be 2 licenses.

#54 4 years ago

This game rocked!!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

The Evil Dead . Or for more humor Evil Dead 2 . The Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown got pushed back to June 2015 . I was hoping to see Spooky pinball AMH in Colorado . But it sounds like it will not happen .

Well there is a new evil dead show coming to showtime starring bruce campbell.

#56 4 years ago

Finally have space for a pin. Now to work on coming up with some funds. Looks like I'll be missing the boat on Spooky #1. So here is to them making a classic monster/sci-fi pin for #2.

#57 4 years ago

Every time I go to the booth, they seem to have sold 3-4 more. Double digit sales - best weekend ever for Spooky!

Bet they are all gone before the Denver show.

#58 4 years ago

Got mine ordered and 1/2 paid!

#59 4 years ago

I love hearing about Spooky's success!

It was possibly (probably?) very temping for them to hit all the big shows over the past years with prototypes to presell a bunch of games and get some cash flowing in, but they stayed disciplined and are now reaping the rewards.

Can't wait to hear about game #2.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

I love hearing about Spooky's success!
It was possibly (probably?) very temping for them to hit all the big shows over the past years with prototypes to presell a bunch of games and get some cash flowing in, but they stayed disciplined and are now reaping the rewards.
Can't wait to hear about game #2.

Totally agree, did a great job of wading in, rather than just jumping off of the 3rd tower for a swim.

#61 4 years ago

Maybe they should up the number produced to 200.

At the very least they should get a wait list going. I love my AMH

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Maybe they should up the number produced to 200.
At the very least they should get a wait list going. I love my AMH

Tough. I'd rather they made more and met demand myself. But if you say a number and then change it buyers could get upset.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Tough. I'd rather they made more and met demand myself. But if you say a number and then change it buyers could get upset.

Agreed, that would be uncool and to similar to the garbage the other companies are doing. Judging by there past choices and ideas, I doubt they would stray and I wish them the best of luck.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

OH NO!!! YOUR LE ISNT AS LIMITED!!!

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

OH NO!!! YOUR LE ISNT AS LIMITED!!!

I mean I sure don't care. But some people do. And beyond that it's about keeping your word.

Maybe if owners were urging them to do that it would be different.

#66 4 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on AMH. I didn't realize it was that close to selling out. I thought I had more time, I just talked to Charlie and have reserved my spot!

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Evil Dead 2 would be a great theme now especially as the new mini-series is getting ready to start filming.

#68 4 years ago

Just keep the hot school girl Zombie please. That alone has me ready to buy one.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And beyond that it's about keeping your word.

It is 100% about keeping your word.

I can't see any situation where they would even consider going back on their word.

Many people bought in because things feel at east somewhat safer when buying in to a limited run.
It would be an insult to go back on what you have promised to early supporters and that is very far from the spooky MO.

#70 4 years ago

I don't recall them ever promising that it was 'limited' beyond that they had ordered a certain number of parts for 1 batch and no guarantees beyond that that they would produce more. Although I believe they said they could if the demand was there and could do another batch order of parts.

#71 4 years ago

From Spooky Pinball's site:
"Limited to 150 production games. No tricks, no gimmicks, no LE’s or games from the crypt coming later."

Source: http://www.spookypinball.com/games-swag/

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't recall them ever promising that it was 'limited' beyond that they had ordered a certain number of parts for 1 batch and no guarantees beyond that that they would produce more. Although I believe they said they could if the demand was there and could do another batch order of parts.

They have said numerous times a strict limit of 150. You can go search their posts here on pinsid eif you want.

or you could also just go right to their website

"Limited to 150 production games. No tricks, no gimmicks, no LE’s or games from the crypt coming later."

#73 4 years ago

Best guess is game 2 is either rob zombie or Elvira.
Either way its going to be awesome.
Can you imagine?
Rob zombies pinball zombies from beyond the grave?
Or, Elvira's pinball zombies from beyond the grave.
Freakin epic!

Or purple zombie pinball minions?

Or Godzilla, vs the pinball zombies?
Ok, I will stop for now.

#74 4 years ago

I playing AMH for the first time tonight and I'm impressed. The artwork, dots, and sound are a bit campy for my tastes but the gameplay is great!

#75 4 years ago

It's really cool seeing a small company like this do so well with their game, and do it in an efficient, no stress way. Order the game, they build it as soon as they can and ship it to you.

It reminds me of how in the 80's there were lots of little companies everywhere making arcade games, they'd come up with a concept and then try to get their piece of the pie. I guess there were only a few pinball companies that were relatively small like that, but it's still really cool to see the old-school way of doing things work out for Spooky Pinball. Cool to see something (anything!) that's still made in America, too.

#76 4 years ago

Spooky is just awesome. I think I may miss out on AMH, but I'm intrigued with their #2.

And they won't make more than 150 AMHs. Count on it. Their word is their reputation and they wouldn't risk it with a few extra games.

#77 4 years ago

Charlie and Ben reiterated at their session tonight that 150 is absolutely, positively the limit for AMH. It was originally announced last year as a way to goose sales, but it is now a hard no-matter-what limit.

Charlie also indicated that orders this weekend have far exceeded expectations and that he may go home with no more games left to sell.

If there is an idea of "pinball games flying off the shelf" in today's climate, it appears that AMH fits.

If you are on the fence like I was, you might not have as long to decide as pretty much everyone thought you would a couple days ago ...

So, if you are on the fence, go Nike. Just Do It!

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

only if Mike Mignola draws the playfield. How great would his style look screened onto a game?

*GUSH!!!*

#79 4 years ago

I have no doubt AMH will sell out by the end of TPF.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

I have no doubt AMH will sell out by the end of TPF.

This would be such a well-deserved coup for Spooky. Best of luck Emerys!

#81 4 years ago

At JJP's seminar, Jack said they took 13 online orders today for The Hobbit. Spooky and JJP did the same numbers for the show? Well done Spooky. What a nice bunch of people.

#82 4 years ago

I played Amh for the first time today and enjoyed it a lot. Game at the show is setup brutally fast but it was still a lot of fun. I was on the fence about purchasing and honestly until I played it I was not thinking about buying a game. I sat in on the seminar and after hearing the story of building the game then seeing pictures of the shop I knew this was a project and company I wanted to get behind so I have a game preordered now and excited for my game!

#83 4 years ago

Great news for Spooky and company! So glad we got in before the TPF frenzy.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

From Spooky Pinball's site:
Source: http://www.spookypinball.com/games-swag/

Ah, ok. I must be thinking of something they said earlier, before they solidified things. that is black and white so for certain they will be cutting it off then. congrats to them on their success. I suspect in time they may very well be the only successful boutique without a factory.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from fluffybunny:

I played AMH for the first time today and enjoyed it a lot. Game at the show is setup brutally fast but it was still a lot of fun. I was on the fence about purchasing and honestly until I played it I was not thinking about buying a game. I sat in on the seminar and after hearing the story of building the game then seeing pictures of the shop I knew this was a project and company I wanted to get behind so I have a game preordered now and excited for my game!

Welcome to the Dallas Buyer's Club!

Brutally fast is right ... The shoot out from the scoop on the tournament game was wicked fast. Thank God for (a) the ball save and (b) the adjust option for that (didn't see it, but Charley told me it exists).
Must have been a number of tweaks from the Expo 13 version too - pretty much all the shots felt smoother than I remember.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

the adjust option for that (didn't see it, but Charley told me it exists)

Reports from owners indicate that 'brutally fast', 'very brutally fast', and 'hard enough to ricochet into the door' might be the options. It goes from 1-10, and 2 is already pretty zippy.

#87 4 years ago

* Disclaimer. I am already a customer waiting on my game.

Spooky is set up right across from my games at the TPF. I was a little nervous that the game might not live up to my expectations. I'm pleased to say that it very much does. I've played the game at the show a lot and I've been able to hear the callouts and music. It's all the things I really enjoy. The campy humor is great. The animations are very well done. Charlie and KT couldn't be any nicer. They hide nothing when asking about the game.

As for the gameplay, the best thing I can say is that the shots are wide enough for me to enjoy the game. I'm not a great player and games with narrow shots or awkward geometry really challenge me. Not the case here. It shoots well and is fun!

I have heard cons at the show from people that don't care for it. Aside from personal tastes, one objective criticism is about the build and materials. Specifically noting the underside of the playfield seems so "empty" compared to a typical game with lots of expensive mechs etc.

Some of my think the build quality isn't up to current standards. It's true that it doesn't look like at Stern, JJP or B/W game. This is no Zizzle. It's a Spooky game. I love that it has a distinct feel to it. I love the boutique aspect and creative solutions to less expensive manufacturing. It may be untested over the long haul, but does not look cheap or less well made. The games out there have help up according to customers on pinside.

I very pleased and looking forward to my game. Now it's time to stop typing so I can go down to the floor for my hour of early access to play it some more!

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It is 100% about keeping your word.
I can't see any situation where they would even consider going back on their word.
Many people bought in because things feel at east somewhat safer when buying in to a limited run.
It would be an insult to go back on what you have promised to early supporters and that is very far from the spooky MO.

I can't see how a smaller run is "safer". How small was the predator run? 250? If the main reason you're buying a pin is because the seller held you close and whispered in your ear that not everyone will get to buy one and that only X people have this opportunity then you've got a problem.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from fluffybunny:

I played Amh for the first time today and enjoyed it a lot. Game at the show is setup brutally fast but it was still a lot of fun. I was on the fence about purchasing and honestly until I played it I was not thinking about buying a game. I sat in on the seminar and after hearing the story of building the game then seeing pictures of the shop I knew this was a project and company I wanted to get behind so I have a game preordered now and excited for my game!

This is how you market a pin. Owning an AMH feels like you are part of the spooky journey. Puts a smile on your face. Just like pre ordering predator makes you feel like you took a sledgehammer to your nuts

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I can't see how a smaller run is "safer". How small was the Predator run? 250? If the main reason you're buying a pin is because the seller held you close and whispered in your ear that not everyone will get to buy one and that only X people have this opportunity then you've got a problem.

you have some deep dark issues.

ANYTIME you are buying a new product there are lots of unknowns and risks. Making that product limited in a collectible community gives every buyer an added benefit (i.e. safer) because they know that even if things go sour then they may not have a 300lb paper weight due to the possibly collectible nature of the product.

AMH is a perfect example of this. Games were very slow to sell at first and they boosted sales by committing to a limited run. This got a few more buyer off the fence. This in turn snowballed as more and more players got to see the game and decide they want it for themselves.

It is not about felling special. It is about understanding the risks and weighing your options when buying a 6k toy. I have known the game was great for a long time, but a limited edition surely helped many other to make up their mind to buy.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

This is how you market a pin. Owning an AMH feels like you are part of the spooky journey. Puts a smile on your face. Just like pre ordering predator makes you feel like you took a sledgehammer to your nuts

This made me laugh. Thanks, Kaneda.

Sucks that it's the reality of it all. Hoping the predator folks get their money back, or at least a re themed awesome pin.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

At JJP's seminar, Jack said they took 13 online orders today for The Hobbit. Spooky and JJP did the same numbers for the show? Well done Spooky. What a nice bunch of people.

Well I hope JJP sold more Hobbits since then, because it sounds like Spooky has sold at least twice that at TPF.

#93 4 years ago

I imagine that AMH may sell more at the show than Hobbit, but I wouldn't see that as a reflection of the quality or perceived greatness of either game. Hobbit is a known quantity and has been available for preorder for well over a year. It has been to shows across the country and numerous videos are available. It is a theme based on a hugely successful and popular book. Many who are interested in a preorder of that game have already had the opportunity to get the info they have needed to make a decision on it.

AMH, however, is, for many, an unknown. It has not been to many locations for folks to try, it is made by a yet-to-prove itself boutique company and it is an original theme (which perplexes me that people would rather licensed stuff, but....). Moreover, the recent announcement that only 150 are being produced is a real incentive to buy and one that is relatively recent and not so for The Hobbit. Folks who are on the fence about Hobbit can wait and see what the game is like with finished code. Anyone can pick one up next year this time, NIB, guaranteed. Not so for AMH. And while many people do not like the idea of limited supply, many do as it is cool to own something relatively unique or not ubiquitous. If this game wasn't limited to 150 I bet Spooky would not be seeing as many orders as it is. Kudos to Ben for his statement that their word is their word, no crypt editions or the like.

#94 4 years ago

I am guessing a complete sell out but the time of MGC at latest?

I hope for the folks in the midwest that are yet to dive in, that they get a chance to play at MGC before they are all spoken for.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If the main reason you're buying a pin is because the seller held you close and whispered in your ear that not everyone will get to buy one and that only X people have this opportunity then you've got a problem.

With 20+ games sold this weekend and people actually getting a chance to play it, I think it's safe to say that the only problem Spooky has (selling more games than expected) is a good one. Charley is going home and hiring more employees ...

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Charley is going home and hiring more employees ...

sally.gifsprockets.gifrobinhood.gifcritic.gifyeah.gif

#97 4 years ago

So roughly 25 left?
So there are roughly 13 days left to place your order for AMH, and that's all she wrote...
When did the first one sell? I'd be interested to know what the time range was for selling (1-150) on it.

I can't wait to share in the joy of celebrating AMH and its 150 units ALL sold out in the next 13 days...
Very much looking forward to their future projects.
-mof

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So roughly 25 left?
I'd say it's time for a fun game of "Guess the date"...

Or maybe even less. KT said she forgot to turn her phone off last night, so she had a bunch of messages/emails/texts that she hadn't gotten to today. So the 20 sold number may not be the final TPF count.

She deserves a lot of credit. In case you don't know, she has a full time job in the real world in addition to doing the ordering, bookkeeping and accounting for Spooky and lost pretty much two full days of work coming to Texas with Charley for "vacation" (if you count running a booth for 30 hours a vacation)

#99 4 years ago

At least 25 sold at TPF, probably more.

Remember #150 isn't being sold until we auction it at Expo in October, and some units are earmarked for when we can ship them to Australia.

So really it's more like 10-15 left. Pretty sure they'll be gone by MGC.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

At least 25 sold at TPF, probably more.
Remember #150 isn't being sold until we auction it at Expo in October, and some units are earmarked for when we can ship them to Australia.
So really it's more like 10-15 left. Pretty sure they'll be gone by MGC.

Congrats to yourself and Charlie.

Now have fun at TPF and then get building those games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Spanish Fork, UT
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Normal, IL
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 316 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside