• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Repaired_Sound_Board.JPG
photo_(10).JPG
#1 10 years ago

I had mentioned this problem in another thread I started but thought it should get its own because it's returned and I'm out of ideas.

My Firepower is pretty much done. The exception is I have the wrong sound effects and voice calls being played at various switch hits. For example "Fire 1" is said when one of the center targets is hit. The shooter lane switch activates the higher value spinner sound and so on. The background "music" is not played at all. Sound test reveals that all sounds are present. When I change the dip switches on the sound board to turn the voice off and to activate the stupid chime noises they seem to work properly. I've never heard a Firepower playing these sounds so I can't be sure but they seem consistent with the switch hits that are made on the playfield.

I mentioned that this problem went away before. That was after reflowing solder on all the connectors on the MPU and driver boards. However, after a couple games it went back to the wrong sounds when I had started a new game. Today I removed all old solder on EVERY connector pin on the MPU and driver boards and flowed new. This includes the 40 pin which tests fine. All socketed chips have been removed, cleaned and reinserted. All sockets are RN and are tight. Problem remains.

I've read that sound issues like this can be caused by five particular transistors at the bottom left of the driver board that are for the switches that determine sound effects. I've tested all the transistors and they test fine. Scores are accumulated properly at each switch hit as are lights when applicable. I've also checked continuity from the driver board to the sound board and that tests ok as well.

I'm thinking this may be a sound board issue but am at a loss as to where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've added a photo of my sound and speech boards for any of you System 6 experts to see if anything looks incorrect.

Thanks

photo_(10).JPGphoto_(10).JPG

#2 10 years ago

Try re-flowing the header pins on the sound board too. I would also replace the sound ROM sockets as a matter of course to eliminate that potential problem.

You could try flexing the sound board during a game to see if the correct sounds return.

Andy

#3 10 years ago

Test the sound select inputs on the sound board. Here's a video on how to test a Type 1 sound card - same procedure. Only difference is when you press the test button on the Type 2 board it plays all the sounds.

RN sockets also need to be changed:

http://www.siegecraft.us/the_siege_blog/blog/2011/12/why-rn-sockets-also-suck.html

Assuming you are running the original 6 masked ROMs since you are running the original sockets. These should be considered suspect until they can be verified. If the transistors on the driver board test ok your problem is likely one of the above.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago

Header pins have been reflowed have been reflowed on all four boards.

Grounding out the input pins in the sound board yields only three different sound effects. Three are repeated. Meaning three of the pins produce the same sound. Pressing the test button produces all the sounds though.

Yes. The MPU has the original ROMs installed.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

three of the pins produce the same sound

Problem with IC5, IC6, IC7 or PIA/IC10 on the sound board (assuming you get all the sounds when you press the test button with no pauses.) You need a logic probe to figure out which one it is specifically.

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago

Don't IC5, IC6 and IC7 just contain the speech sounds? If they were suspect would I still have no background sound? Yes, the test button produces all the sounds and speech calls without pause. I tried a little flexing of the socketed chips while the game was on and no effect. They are really tight and don't move much.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Problem with IC5, IC6, IC7 or PIA/IC10 on the sound board (assuming you get all the sounds when you press the test button with no pauses.) You need a logic probe to figure out which one it is specifically.
viperrwk

I'd put $ on IC6.

Had this same problem on mine. It's definitely a sound board issue. I ended up swapping out the firepower soundboard with a known working one and it solved the problem.

Easier to replace IC6 than the PIA, so I would start there.

I put the board with the suspect IC6 in my black knight that doesn't have the speech module, so I haven't had an urgent need to replace the chip, yet.

#8 10 years ago

The sounds are in the ROM - IC12:

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/SoundBoard.pdf

IC5-7 are the buffer, gate and inverter for the inputs to the PIA/IC10. Getting the same sounds regardless of which pin you short means one of those chips has malfunctioned.

Tightness of the sockets has nothing to do with their quality. The RNs are gold flashed and single wipe - they "suck" as Hans says - and I agree.

Without a logic probe you could just shotgun it - but you might do more damage. The traces are old and it's REAL EASY to lift solder pads off the board.

viperrwk

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

For those interested in closure, today I replaced the 40 pin PIA Chip and socketed it. Correct sounds are now being played. Yay! Small victories! As viperrwk had suspected it was easy to damage the plated through holes and I damaged three of them. Two were fixed with solder and one using wire wrap to create a new trace. Machined pin sockets (from Mouser) installed, new PIA chip (from Marco's) and while I had the boards off, filter caps replaced with kit from Great Plains Electronics. Thanks for your help.

Repaired_Sound_Board.JPGRepaired_Sound_Board.JPG

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for posting the solution and glad you figured it out. You were lucky to get the cap kit from Ed because he's been out of stock on most of them and is now temporarily closed.

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-wrong-sounds-being-played and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.