Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161002_085350 (resized).jpg
20161001_110415 (resized).jpg
20160929_203050 (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I set it up for free play but nothing happens. I have 3 balls in the trough. No sounds etc if I press credit button. The only action is if I put a ball between flippers... it will kick to trough. Any ideas what I should look for? Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Stuck slam tilt?

#3 7 years ago

If the 3 switches in the ball trough are not all registering closed the game will not start. I had one of the 3 in my Firepower not making had to clean and adjust it.

#4 7 years ago

It's almost certainly those trough switches.

People don't realize almost ALL firepower games shipped with defective contact to rivet switches. Take them apart and swap them back or replace the switches if this is the case, it's easy to eyeball.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People don't realize almost ALL firepower games shipped with defective contact to rivet switches. Take them apart and swap them back or replace the switches if this is the case, it's easy to eyeball.

Those 'backward' switches made it into all manufacturers' parts bin at some time, I think.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-70s-80s-wms-reversed-leaf-switcheswithout-a-soldering-iron

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks so much guys! Would anyone know what that trough switch part number would be?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thanks so much guys! Would anyone know what that trough switch part number would be?

Before ordering parts I'd at least check for a loose wire or diode, but yes if those switches are original they most certainly need to be replaced. I don't know the parts number but the FP manual is available online at ipdb.org.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I got a new trough switch from Marco. Sw-1a-130

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#9 7 years ago

What are the results of a switch test?
Mof

#10 7 years ago

I cleaned the contacts on the switches and it started to work! But I have no sound. I press that button up on the top of the soundboard but still no sound. Fuses look good anything obvious I should check thanks so much for your help with this.

#11 7 years ago

Dip switches must be set properly on the sound board to play sounds... Diagram is in the head on a sheet.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Dip switches must be set properly to play sounds...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that Firepower had DIP switches--or at least DIPs that are read by the software, that is. (Didn't they leave them on for backwards compatibility?)

#13 7 years ago

Also, make sure sounds are set properly like "play background sound" "play attract sound" there's a setting for it that covers them both.
-mof

#14 7 years ago

did the sound work before? there are switches on sound card to change the way sound works

#15 7 years ago

I see the 2 & they were all set to off.

20160929_203050 (resized).jpg20160929_203050 (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

The dip switches are on the sound board! Picture above is the mpu board.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The dip switches are on the sound board! Picture above is the mpu board.

Ok... thanks.. so I leave the dip switches on the mpu at off?

Also... after cleaning up the leaf switch near the trough... the game started but I am going to make a Marco order. How many do I need for the trough switch?

#18 7 years ago

The only dip switches I see are the ones circled. I've tried them all ways... adjusted the 2 volume pots up but still no sound.

I am going to send the boards to Mr Hibler.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Ok... thanks.. so I leave the dip switches on the mpu at off?
Also... after cleaning up the leaf switch near the trough... the game started but I am going to make a Marco order. How many do I need for the trough switch?

If you cleaned the switches and they look good that's probably all you have to do, save your money on something else, my firepower had alot of cold solder joints on the mpu/ driver boards and the 40 pin interconnect was bad also, after fixing that it solved all my problems including the same you were having where it wouldn't start a game because of the trough switch.

#20 7 years ago

Here's how my dip switchespecially on sound board is set.

20161001_110415 (resized).jpg20161001_110415 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Here's how my dip switchespecially on sound board is set.

Thanks for the picture. Do you have the switches on your mpu all off?

#22 7 years ago

All off on the CPU is correct. Even if they were not, it would not impact your sounds but might impact the game booting up properly.

The switches on the sound board control whether there are voices (or not) and whether it plays sounds or chimes. You want switch 1 off and switch 2 on like crlush posted.

The fact that you are pushing the sound test button and get nothing means you have bigger problems than the switches.

1) Make sure the volume control wire coming up from under the playfield is plugged into the sound board. Without it, you will not get sound. Post a picture of your sound board if you are not sure if it is plugged in and we can tell you. The wire is typically grey and has a 4 pin connector on it that plugs into J4, the second connector from the left along the top of the sound board. If the wire is not connected and not in the backbox, it may be laying in the bottom of the cabinet.

2) Adjust the master volume to see if it is turned all the way down. Start a game or press the diagnostic switch and adjust it to see if sounds come back. It is on the side of the lower cabinet on the left. You can reach it through the coin door and looks like a metal rod sticking straight out of the side of the cabinet.

3) Check the speaker and wiring in the bottom of the cabinet. Make sure the wires are connected and the speaker appears to be intact. They do go bad and if you get this far might be a good idea to try connecting a replacement up if you have something laying around.

4) If you get to the point where you have sounds but not voices or vice-versa, adjust the balance control on the voice board (on left of the smaller board connected to the sound card) to adjust the balance between the 2.

#23 7 years ago

20161002_085350 (resized).jpg20161002_085350 (resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

All off on the CPU is correct. Even if they were not, it would not impact your sounds but might impact the game booting up properly.
The switches on the sound board control whether there are voices (or not) and whether it plays sounds or chimes. You want switch 1 off and switch 2 on like crlush posted.
The fact that you are pushing the sound test button and get nothing means you have bigger problems than the switches.
1) Make sure the volume control wire coming up from under the playfield is plugged into the sound board. Without it, you will not get sound. Post a picture of your sound board if you are not sure if it is plugged in and we can tell you. The wire is typically grey and has a 4 pin connector on it that plugs into J4, the second connector from the left along the top of the sound board. If the wire is not connected and not in the backbox, it may be laying in the bottom of the cabinet.
2) Adjust the master volume to see if it is turned all the way down. Start a game or press the diagnostic switch and adjust it to see if sounds come back. It is on the side of the lower cabinet on the left. You can reach it through the coin door and looks like a metal rod sticking straight out of the side of the cabinet.
3) Check the speaker and wiring in the bottom of the cabinet. Make sure the wires are connected and the speaker appears to be intact. They do go bad and if you get this far might be a good idea to try connecting a replacement up if you have something laying around.
4) If you get to the point where you have sounds but not voices or vice-versa, adjust the balance control on the voice board (on left of the smaller board connected to the sound card) to adjust the balance between the 2.

Thanks for this. The wires all look like they are where they should be. Do you mean there is a button inside the front cabinet? I see a long knob that turns but no button...

#25 7 years ago

The master volume control is a potentiometer in the bottom cabinet on the left a couple feet in. It usually does not have a knob, just the metal shaft.

5 years later
#26 1 year ago

See the YouTube videos above. I had this issue with my Firepower not starting a game (intermittently). After swapping out the switches and diodes I still had the problem. Using these videos, I was able to trace the issue to the white wire with a red stripe, at the connector on the CPU.
This will be helpful to beginners.

Also, It may not Always Be the upside down leafs on the original switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-wont-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.