• Latest reply 3 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FP (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Firepower on free play, won't start a game. In switch test I can hit each trough switch and register. Same for tilt and playfield slam tilt. Start button also.

Any ideas?

#2 3 years ago

Remove all the balls, go to switch test and see if there are any closed switches. Then slowly put in the balls and verify machine sees each switch is closed by the ball

#3 3 years ago

Did that. Nothing stuck on, trough works as expected.

#4 3 years ago

Did you verify it’s on free play? Drop a few quarters or simulate coin drops and then try.

Does the switch test show the start button being pushed?

#5 3 years ago

Yes, 18 is 00. It was working before for years, just recently stopped. I tried coining up, nothing. Start button works in test.

#6 3 years ago

Ok. I’m stumped. Someone else needs to chime in.

#7 3 years ago

Verify the switches register with balls, not you manually doing it with your hand. Verify all three are engaged in switch test with All 3 balls.

#9 3 years ago

The coils work normally?
Checa que todas las bobinas funcionen, igual con los transistores

#10 3 years ago

Coils are fine. The startup sequence never starts.

#11 3 years ago

No start function 18 set to 00:

Install 3 balls in Though
Place game in switch test which must show 51,58,57

Yes?
remove batteries or clear ram to factory settings.
try starting a game.

FP (resized).pngFP (resized).png
#12 3 years ago

when i first started in the business we had about 1/2 dozen Firepower pins....one of the common problems were the original leaf switches that were used in the ball trough. they sucked then so much that Williams came out with a mod to convert the leaf switches to microswitches with wires. if you have the old leaf switches, a big giveaway is to push on those two leaf switches while pushing the start button...(make sure all 3 balls are in the trough.....). I ran into that very problem a couple weeks ago on a home repair......i wonder if there are still mods available for those that did not get updated back in the eighties....

#13 3 years ago

Have you already tried to jumper the card? You replace the 0 ohm resistors for a cable or wire by bridging, or even reheating each pin of the two cards, the one for the batteries and those of the transistors

3 weeks later
#14 3 years ago

Just an update for the search crowd, this turned out to be a back box connector issue. Pulling and plugging the switch connectors cleaned them up and the game works fine now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-won-t-start-a-game-but-trough-switches-okay?hl=pintec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.