Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 62 days ago by frenchmarky
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200510_174037 (resized).jpg
20200510_174048 (resized).jpg
FirepowerBoard.jpg

#1 5 years ago

A friend of mine recently acquired a Firepower. Mounted inside the backbox, connected to nothing, is this little board. On it is handwriting that says "Firepower" with the copyright symbol, the initials F.M.T. and the date "2/82".

There's a couple of caps, a LED, a 7474, a 7402 and a 7403 on it. Any ideas what it's for? I love little curiosities like this.

Photo below:

FirepowerBoard.jpg
#2 5 years ago

Interesting my Firepower has no such board. It must be a add on for something?

#3 5 years ago

Yeah, that's not original to the machine as far as I know.

#4 5 years ago

Maybe a freeplay hack? You should draw out the schematic so we can look at it.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Maybe a freeplay hack?

Firepower came with a freeplay setting. Why would it need a hack?

#6 5 years ago

For anyone interested, setting the max credits to zero on the early Williams SS set it to freeplay. Usually it is setting #18.

#7 5 years ago

Firepower can be set to freeplay so that does not make any sense.

#8 5 years ago

I've had/have no fewer than 6 firepowers and have never seen this board, so I'd venture to say it's definitely not original.

It almost looks like a device to provide some sort of Bally-style boot-up diagnostics.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Maybe a freeplay hack? You should draw out the schematic so we can look at it.

Draw out the schematic, lol. You over-estimate my energy level.

#10 5 years ago

Send this picture to Todd Tuckey, at TNT Amusements. If he doesn't know what it's for, one of his men will.

#11 5 years ago

Based on where it's located, I would guess that it is some type of diagnostic or boot-up information add on... Could be a ticket counter add-on I suppose.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from badreality:

Send this picture to Todd Tuckey, at TNT Amusements. If he doesn't know what it's for, one of his men will.

Then they can throw it off the roof when they are done!

#13 5 years ago

Home made Breadboard job with a Quad NAND gate & NOR gate, and a Dual flip-flop. Perhaps a pass-thru board for diagnostics since it has that LED on it, only nothing uses that size connector in firepower, correct? Is it all 1.56 spaced connectors? I've never owned or worked on a sys6. It would depend on what was sent to it and how the logic state would change. If you take pics of the bottom of the board, I could make a schematic then put it into a circuit simulator, that would make it easier to guess its function.

It could have also been a replacement board made for some sort of IC that was expensive to the time period, since it was 82. Logic was and still is cheaper than most other ICs. The LED could very well just be a power indicator. If it is wired to one of the logic ICs, then it isn't.

Regardless, this isn't a factory thing.

4 years later
#14 63 days ago

RESURRECTION!!!!
Sorry but this is in my Black Knight. Did you ever sort this out? Mine IS connected to things but disconnecting it doesnt seem to do a thing...

20200510_174048 (resized).jpg20200510_174037 (resized).jpg
#15 63 days ago

Crap, all these years I didn't know about the setting max credits to zero puts it on free play but still allows credits you win accumulate (I must have assumed that it would just stay at zero.) I'll never have to manually add credits to my Black Knight again!

Now seeing two of these weird boards, are the wire jumpers in identical places? If they are different maybe has to do with Sys 6 vs. Sys 7, otherwise why note the exact title of the game on the board?

#16 63 days ago

Crap, I think I know what it is now!

Grayson..... next time you get the playfield raised, can you take a photo of the pop bumper switches, and the slingshot switches?

I bet it eliminates the 2nd switches on those, since the wiring on his BK machine suggests this board somehow ties the special solenoid section into the switch matrix.

-Hans

#17 63 days ago

Where do the wires lead on the A and B connectors connect into the machine?

Where do the white and orange wire lead that go behind the driver board that are in the wire nut?

#18 63 days ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Where do the wires lead on the A and B connectors connect into the machine?
Where do the white and orange wire lead that go behind the driver board that are in the wire nut?

What I was able to get, was that on the "B" connector
bottom pin is +5 volts (red wire) & top pin is ground ( black wire ).

#19 62 days ago

Since there are some capacitors, maybe a watchdog? Like the Gottlieb sys80 reset board.

#20 62 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Crap, all these years I didn't know about the setting max credits to zero puts it on free play but still allows credits you win accumulate (I must have assumed that it would just stay at zero.)

It doesn't, the credits stay wherever they were before you set it to zero.

#21 62 days ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I bet it eliminates the 2nd switches on those, since the wiring on his BK machine suggests this board somehow ties the special solenoid section into the switch matrix.

I was thinking more like an interrupt to stop a coil from burning up if the switches get stuck together... Like those Gottlieb Sol. expander boards from the early 80's.

#22 62 days ago

Very possible that could be it too, a kinda one-shot board.

-Hans

#23 62 days ago

Maybe Steve Ritchie knows, they are both his designs.

#24 62 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

What I was able to get, was that on the "B" connector
bottom pin is +5 volts (red wire) & top pin is ground ( black wire ).

So those wires just go into the harness and you can't see what they're connecting to?

#25 62 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

So those wires just go into the harness and you can't see what they're connecting to?

Copy the ic pinouts.
Examine the back side of board.
All ics'
pin7 gnd
pin 14 +5v

#26 62 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

It doesn't, the credits stay wherever they were before you set it to zero.

Oh wait is Firepower different than BK because it's sys 6 vs. sys 7? I just double checked the BK, with max credits at zero it allows free play starts but still lets credits accumulate and decrement correctly from replays, coining, starting game and adding players etc.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside