(Topic ID: 152271)

Firepower Weird Upper Right Kickout Glitch HELP!!

By canoncitypb

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canoncitypb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

At startup, the upper right kickout hole fires repeatedly and the game won't start.

I was doing a simple repair on my Firepower. I was replacing white flippers with yellow boots. Everything went fine, but the flipper boot was not returning to the proper rest position. It seemed like the return spring wasn't powerful enough. I thought maybe the sleeve was gummed up so I decided to check. I didn't feel like taking everything apart, so I unscrewed the bracket guiding the plunger into the coil and pulled everything apart. I cleaned the sleeve (wasn't that dirty) and stretched the spring to give it some more power. When I reinstalled the flipper didn't work. It tried to pull the plunger in, but wasn't powerful enough. I thought perhaps I stretched the spring so much it was too powerful (though this seemed silly). I also noticed some of the wires soldered to the coil were fraying a bit. I resoldered and reinstalled, but then the game wouldn't start and the upper right coil would fire repeatedly. If I engage the connection which I believe is for the lane change attached to the end of stroke, the left kickout will fire alternately with the right kickout. If I depress the ball drain switch, a game will start, but there is crazy scoring happening and it won't send a ball to the plunger. If the ball (after i manually kick it out) touches the right slingshot, it causes the game to end. I resoldered all of the flipper coil connections and installed a new spring. The flipper now works.

This all seems pretty weird to me. I am thinking perhaps I shorted something when I was soldering or messing with the flipper coil. I would turn the machine on to test, and sometimes would forget to turn it off when i went back to make changes or adjustments. Perhaps I touched two points that shouldn't have been touched with the machine on? I have a new rottendog board installed. i don't see any fuses tripped or anything burned on the boards?

What could have caused this? How should I fix it? PLease HELP!

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Game in switch test, check switches outlined on pinwiki to find out if driver board issue or a playfield issue.

I did the switch test. The numbers I get are 54, 6, 14, 22, 30, 38, and 46. These go to Right Eject Rollover, Left Coin Switch, Upper Middle Standup, "5" target, Right Eject Hole, Middle Right Standup, Ball Shooter.

I'm not really sure how to use Pinwiki. I tried searching for these things, but couldn't find much. I get that some of the chips are probably bad, but I'm not sure which ones or where to go from here. What should be my next step? Thanks,

#7 8 years ago

I have read this page and it did help to understand how things work. Looking at my codes from my switch test and the switch matrix, row 6 is out. I now understand how i must have bridged the flipper coil and the lane change. It looks like PIA at IC11.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

But worry not! It can be fixed.

I'm sure it can be fixed, but I would rather do it myself if that is possible. Do I need to test more components or is it just the PIA at IC11 that I will need to change. I believe Rotten Dog boards have socketed chips so i can just pull and replace right? I see a test procedure on the Wiki, but it looks like it just tells how to figure out if the problem is on the board or in the wiring. It seems clear to me that the problem is on the board.

What should I do next?

1 month later
#9 8 years ago

I finally got my logic probe. Where do I connect it on the board and what readings should I get from those chips if they are working properly? Some boards have test points, but i don't see any on the Rottendog board.

thanks guys.

2 weeks later
#10 7 years ago

I contacted Rottendog. He directed me to another chip. Once replaced, they game is great! I highly recommend Rottendog. The board is great, easy installation. I got a quick and helpful reply.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canoncitypb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-weird-upper-right-kickout-glitch-help?tu=canoncitypb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.