(Topic ID: 300178)

Firepower w/RottenDog board (flipper reset)

By RunninMan01

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Pretty simple question on this one, hoping someone else has seen something similar.

Firepower running RottenDog 327. Works great unless you hit both flippers simultaneously, then it resets and puts the machine into attract mode. I realize the double-flipper reset is a known thing and I'm going to work through the steps to troubleshoot, but most of those steps were built for the original PDBs...or maybe there's a Rottendog one somewhere? Anyways, I noticed something when testing with the backglass off: LED1 and LED2 on the RottenDog board are both off all the time, and they only light up RED (both at same time), then quickly shut off, when the reset happens. Would those LED firing up point me in a certain direction for diagnosing the problem?

I'm really just trying to avoid having to tear off, test, and re-solder each diode if I've got something silly going like connections between boards here. Hoping these little LED lights are pointing in a direction.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2 years ago

On the original boards the LEDs just light at bootup until the software turns them off and rottendog would be similar (they use slightly modified software but likely not for this)

I was not aware there's any detailed troubleshooting for system 3-7 on double flipper resets that's mostly WPC era stuff. Same things would apply though, power supply, diodes on flipper coils. That's where I'd concentrate first.

#3 2 years ago

Ah bummer. I was hoping those 2 LEDs lighting up might be a sign.

Is there really no way to test diodes without removing them to test each one? I feel like I’m going to damage one just by trying to test.

#4 2 years ago

I think this is a power supply issue. Do this:
    Test the 5v on the mpu after a boot and then again after a reset. Ideally doing it with the dmm connected would let you see a drop while the flippers were hit

2 things possible: old power supply is not putting out 5v or the connector bringing 5v to the mpu is corroded and the resistance is lowering the voltage.

If it's a voltage issue then it isn't really a RD issue.

#5 2 years ago

Thank you, that sounds super promising. I’ll try that first.

Thanks guys!!!

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from RunninMan01:

Ah bummer. I was hoping those 2 LEDs lighting up might be a sign.
    Is there really no way to test diodes without removing them to test each one? I feel like I’m going to damage one just by trying to test.

Diodes are 10 cents or less. Replace vs. test.... it's 2 diodes on 2 flipper coils unless someone updated the coils to parallel wound ... then it's 4 diodes.

#7 2 years ago

Hadn’t thought about it that way, OK, makes sense. I have like 100 diodes from another project so it’s not a cost thing, more me not wanting to read stuff apart unless it’s broken

#8 2 years ago

Ok, resolved. Frustrating to admit that I’m not positive on what it was, but it was either a loose wire or it was the fact that a screw was missing from the power input board (whatever feeds the RD board, I don’t know official name)…so between tweaking those 2 things, I’m back in business.

This will likely happen again, I know…esp if it was a loose connection. Just nice to have my machine back for now.

Thanks for the advice!!!

#9 2 years ago

I had to physically tie the ground from my power board to the ground on my RD board and this problem went away. I just used a hunk of wire around the mounting screws on each board.

Jeff

#10 2 years ago

Whoa, great idea. Thanks!

3 months later
    #11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

I had to physically tie the ground from my power board to the ground on my RD board and this problem went away. I just used a hunk of wire around the mounting screws on each board.
    Jeff

I just searched Pinside because I have the same issue with my Firepower which also has a RD board. Brand new power supply, giving 4.99 volts. Replaced the flipper diodes as well. So your post got my attention. Do you have a picture of this? I don't want to screw thus up.

#12 2 years ago

I do not have a picture.
    I just took a scrap piece of wire, stripped both ends, wrapped one end around a grounded mounting screw on the power supply board, and wrapped the other end around a mounting screw on the RD board.

Machine had been resetting rather regularly, and completely stopped after this.
    A buddy had a similar problem, and this fixed it for him, too.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-w-rottendog-board-flipper-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.