New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 121565)

Firepower stuck switch

By QuinnHarley74629

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by njPinWiz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

013.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello, this past weekend I purchased a Firepower in nice working condition. After transporting it home, we set it up and was able to play about 25-30 games on it when all of a sudden the right kicker just started firing uncontrollably. It would stop, then next time the ball hit it, it would go off again for 30-45 second. Now, as soon as I shoot a ball up the channel, it just fires continuously.

Wondering what could be causing it to fire so erratically. I ran though the tests and it's showing switch 42 is stuck, I just don't know how to un-stuck it

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

#2 5 years ago

Double check the switches that fire the slingshot. There is probably one stuck closed or almost always nearly closed. You just need to adjust it a little bit. Bend the switch so it's slightly open. You can do this with a needle nose pliers or they make a special tool for adjusting switches. Do this adjustment with game off of course. This happens all the time whenever you change the rubber rings, these switches may get out of adjustment.

#3 5 years ago

I had similar sling shot "machine gunning" problem on my Firepower & Spybyron is correct - it's probably the switch that triggers the sling. It is worth the few bucks to purchase a tool for this purpose. Take a look here, it's called an "L contact adjuster"...you'll use it often.

#4 5 years ago

whoops...sent before I provided the link, here it is: http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html#Tools

#5 5 years ago

Switch 42 is the scoring switch for the right sling so it's certainly closing/closed by the right sling firing. However this switch itself isn't the issue, it will be the two switches behind the rubber of the slingshot. These fire the slingshot and are not regulated by the CPU in this era of game, so there is no logic to tell the game to stop firing them when they latch on.

013.jpg

#6 5 years ago

Thank you all for the responses and especially for the image of what to look for. I will review and check the switches tonight and report back.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, problem fixed as noted by you, one of the two switches was closed. It is obvious someone recently put new rings throughout the play field. Glad it was an easy mechanical fix, game plays awesome. Appreciate the help.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from njPinWiz:

whoops...sent before I provided the link, here it is: http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html#Tools

Another option with a little more angle.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

#9 5 years ago

Thanks Leeb....that tool looks helpful will have to pick it up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside