• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by FirePower
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help. I played a game of Firepower a few days back (no issues) and today when I went to start up I got GI and that was it. I tried a few of the guides online and removed/reconnected the power lines to the MPU board and executed a sound test.

Here is what is happening:

1. Sound board works when manual test is applied to the board, now when I start up I get the end of game noises.
2. MPU board LED's both light, blink and then light again.
3. I manually ejected all 3 balls and shot them down the playfield, all are stuck as the kicker isn't kicking.
4. Coin door is currently useless, buttons do nothing.
5. I noticed that a small dot appears on the displays (I think all of them?) at start up, but they are blank.

What steps can I do next to try and diagnose the situation? I am an EM guy with a couple of SS's, so my skills in this area are very weak. I'm open to doing anything that's safe and won't harm me or the machine

#2 10 years ago

Firepower can be a serious pain along with all of the system 3-7 machines. It has several issues that need to be addressed and the best bet is to follow one of the repair guides like mark's firepower page. Area that likely need to be addressed are scanbe sockets, 40 pin interconnect, and all male header pins on mpu and driver board likely need to be reflowed.

#3 10 years ago

Check the high voltage fuse with a multi meter to see if it is blown.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks pinballlizard. I did try Vid's guide and partially reseated the rom chips. Initial success - I now boot up and have sounds and diagnostics at the coin door. Now working on "I won't take a credit" issue.

#5 10 years ago

Sounds like you need to replace some Scanbe ROM sockets. You should replace the 40 pin connector while you are at it if you have not already.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Sounds like you need to replace some Scanbe ROM sockets. You should replace the 40 pin connector while you are at it if you have not already.

Sockets yes, I would only swap out the female side of the 40 if there are no issues with the headers.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I will likely have to work on sockets, but at least I was able to get it working today. I also had the problem with only have the speech working as described here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alienpoker/top/FP-Parts-Snd.html

But I reseated the sound wires from the sound board to the driver board and they came back to life. I was initially thinking to test Q35, but luckily the reseat at least for now handled the problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-start-up-or-lack-thereof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.