Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by erichill
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

New to me game. This is a strange one. The sound and speech are perfect from the start of the game up until the bonus collect at the end of ball one, then the sound goes silent until the first switch closure of ball 2. This pattern repeats for the rest of the game.

Here's a video of it:

And here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot:
-Confirmed all voltages are present on the sound board.
-Confirmed all 5 sounds are present during solenoid test.
-Confirmed sound board self-test is good.
-Ran the Leon test ROM on the sound board and confirmed PIA outputs and memory is good.
-Verified contents of the sound ROM.
-Burned a new sound ROM for the heck of it and replaced the socketed CPU, PIA, and 6810 with known good chips.
-Disconneted the speech board (and jumpered W1) to remove it from the equation.
-Swapped in a different driver board to make sure it wasn't something in the solenoid drive circuit.
-Monitored the in the inputs of the PIA during bonus collect and cofirmed pins 11, 12, and 14 are all pulsing for the full duration of the collect. PIA outputs that feed the 1408 DAC are dead during this time.

I noticed that pin 13 of IC 6 (output of the 8-input NAND gate) stays high during bonus collect. Pin 13 feeds CB1 of the PIA, but I'm not sure how this line is implemented here. Seems strange to me that the output is locked high while the inputs are just pulsing.

This is starting to exceed my knowledge of this particular board. Hoping that some fresh eyes and smarter heads might be able to see something I'm not. Thanks in advance!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

New to me game. This is a strange one. The sound and speech are perfect from the start of the game up until the bonus collect at the end of ball one, then the sound goes silent until the first switch closure of ball 2. This pattern repeats for the rest of the game.
Here's a video of it:

And here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot:
-Confirmed all voltages are present on the sound board.
-Confirmed all 5 sounds are present during solenoid test.
-Confirmed sound board self-test is good.
-Ran the Leon test ROM on the sound board and confirmed PIA outputs and memory is good.
-Verified contents of the sound ROM.
-Burned a new sound ROM for the heck of it and replaced the socketed CPU, PIA, and 6810 with known good chips.
-Disconneted the speech board (and jumpered W1) to remove it from the equation.
-Swapped in a different driver board to make sure it wasn't something in the solenoid drive circuit.
-Monitored the in the inputs of the PIA during bonus collect and cofirmed pins 11, 12, and 14 are all pulsing for the full duration of the collect. PIA outputs that feed the 1408 DAC are dead during this time.
I noticed that pin 13 of IC 6 (output of the 8-input NAND gate) stays high during bonus collect. Pin 13 feeds CB1 of the PIA, but I'm not sure how this line is implemented here. Seems strange to me that the output is locked high while the inputs are just pulsing.
This is starting to exceed my knowledge of this particular board. Hoping that some fresh eyes and smarter heads might be able to see something I'm not. Thanks in advance!

Ic 6 input pins 2,3,4,5,9,10,11,and 12 must be high (Any low input must be traced back thru IC5)
Pin 13 must be low.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply!

All of the inputs of IC 5 match the outputs, so nothing seems awry there. Here's what I got @ IC 6 during bonus collect:

2-High
3-High
4-High
5-Pulse
9-High
10-Pulse
11-Low for a millisecond at the beginning of the collect sequence, then high.
12-Pulse
13-High (output)

All of the pulses are high signals pulsing low. Seems to me like something is fishy with this gate. I'll try replacing and report back.

#4 4 years ago

That was it - faulty IC 6!

Thanks again for the help, @pintec! Hope you enjoy hearing this max bonus collect as much as I do:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-sounds-missing-during-bonus-collect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.