6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jxm1092
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

Replace the 40 pin interconnect on the driver board - this is a must if not done already.
Also, replacing the sockets for the game ROMS can clear up random anomalies.

He got a new Rottendog combo board. No more 40 pin. I'm guessing a reset issue due to a intermittent loss of the 5v from the p/s. Check to see if you're getting the 5v on the new combo board. If voltage is low, start with connectors for solid connection, too loose, burnt, will cause a loss. Then move to the p/s. Look for cracked solder joints on the back of the male pins. If issue is still not fixed move to replacing the four filter caps and the 5v regulator on the p/s.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jxm1092:

What would be considered low voltage for the 5V signal? Also are there better connectors I can buy to replace the factory ones?

It can vary but below 4.90v could cause resets. You can buy always buy new IDC connectors but pretty much anyone will suggest replacing with Trifurcon style crimp connectors and female molex plugs. Great Plains Electronics is a great place for these types of parts. You can always shoot Ed an email for specific info. Here's a link to .156" connectors. Note that, unless you have one already, you'll need a proper crimping tool to use these connectors.

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-37.asp

Also, if you haven't been told this already, I HIGHLY recommend reading Vid's guide.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#16 5 years ago

My Firepower had untouched boards which was a blessing but I still replaced all four filter caps on the power supply as well as two larger diodes next to the biggest filter cap. We're talking like less than 15 bucks in parts. I also removed old and reflowed new solder on all the male header pins. Of course none of these pins were burnt. I didn't replace the 5v regulator since I wasn't having any reset issues but I do have one on hand in case there's a problem in the future as well as two replacement bridge rectifiers for the coils and lamps. If you don't have the schematics book I highly recommend firepowerpinball.com for copies of these. Absolutely necessary for board work and research.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 22.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside