Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Not my day. I installed a play field protector, reattached the spinner hook that I had come off when I loosened the spinner on top, switched out a few bulbs to led's and now the kicker top right near the star roll over target keeps firing when I turn the machine on in attract mode. I put a card in the switch ends to make sure it wasn't being activated from the leaf contacting, and it still keeps firing. I reseated the molex connectors on the board that correspond to the wire color, and reseated the harness connectors. It stopped for a bit ( a minute) and when I lifted the play field slightly it started again..is this a bad coil? all the wires are intact..

#2 5 years ago

I would look for pinched wires and look over anything you took apart.

It won't be the coil, the coil is just "dumb" unless it gets power. Well a ground actually.

#3 5 years ago

Ok. Will
Check again. Mostly the taking apart underneath were screws holding bulbs.
Aside from reatching the spinner On the top it was ball gates. But I will go through all the wires again. Strange

#4 5 years ago

I had the same problem on mine. Upper right kicker would fire constantly on power up. Problem was a mangled switch on the coin door that was stuck making contact.

#5 5 years ago

The coin door? What type of switch. I will look there as well

#6 5 years ago

The switches for the coin mechs. The problem is probably just a stuck switch somewhere its easy to overlook the coin door switches but they are part of the matrix.

#7 5 years ago

Could reatching the spinner switch cause it? The spinner worked so I assumed that wasn’t an issue.
When I go back in will look coin door switches and all wires
Ty

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Not my day. I installed a play field protector, reattached the spinner hook that I had come off when I loosened the spinner on top, switched out a few bulbs to led's and now the kicker top right near the star roll over target keeps firing when I turn the machine on in attract mode. I put a card in the switch ends to make sure it wasn't being activated from the leaf contacting, and it still keeps firing. I reseated the molex connectors on the board that correspond to the wire color, and reseated the harness connectors. It stopped for a bit ( a minute) and when I lifted the play field slightly it started again..is this a bad coil? all the wires are intact..

You need to check the switches in the same row or column as that eject switch for shorts. Those are:

Row
Left Coin Switch, Upper Middle Left Standup, 5 Target, Right Eject Hole, Middle right standup, Ball Shooter, Right Eject Rollover

Column
Bottom Left Jet Bumper, Top Left Jet Bumper, Top Right Jet Bumper, Bottom Right Jet Bumper, Top Center Targer, Right Eject Hole, Upper Top Right Standup, F Rollover

#9 5 years ago

I went back and looked at all the switches and wires listed. Jiggled everything. Nothing looked wrong and now it works. I guess that’s good? Obviously there is something somewhere that’s close to failing, maybe it means it’s nothing catastrophic though. But it’s worked now for 20 games..appreciate everyone’s input. Will Save this as reference when it happens again

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I went back and looked at all the switches and wires listed. Jiggled everything. Nothing looked wrong and now it works. I guess that’s good? Obviously there is something somewhere that’s close to failing, maybe it means it’s nothing catastrophic though. But it’s worked now for 20 games..appreciate everyone’s input. Will Save this as reference when it happens again

You just have a short. Nothing is likely close to failing. You just need to trace the wire through the whole row and column listed above if it starts up again. One of those switch wires is intermittently shorted.

#11 5 years ago

The wires are all intact, no breaks. Not to sound ignorant but .. would a short mean one of the solder connection is bad on one of the switches/connedtons. If so why does that cause a coil to fire ? Curious on electro physics if I. I just need to resolder the one, when found, that is cold. Thanks for your patience

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

The wires are all intact, no breaks. Not to sound ignorant but .. would a short mean one of the solder connection is bad on one of the switches/connedtons. If so why does that cause a coil to fire ? Curious on electro physics if I. I just need to resolder the one, when found, that is cold. Thanks for your patience

The coil isn't locked on, so it's probably not a coil short.

The coil keeps kicking because the switch for the kickout is triggered, making the game think it needs to kick out a ball. The switch can be triggered the real way (ball in the saucer, pressing the switch) or by means of a short on the row or column that switch is on. That's why I gave you the list of all the other items in the row and column for that kickout switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-solenoid-continually-fires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.