Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200218_102402 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey all, I'm having a hard time tracking down what's killing my firepower board. I've got the mpu/driver combo and I follow the installation instructions and get as far as being able to start a game. As soon as I trigger the right sling IC7 fries on the board.
I've gone through the game and I have tested every diode under the playfield and replaced any that were even slightly suspicious. I have every solenoid unhooked right now (red wire off and certain non of them are touching anything). The game was previously working, but it has been broken for a few years and am now trying to get things going again. Prior to the new board being installed I had found one of the orange wires on the right sling had fallen off and was likely shorting to ground, which I had fixed. Would it be possible that the small capacitor on the switch would be bad and that's causing the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

#2 4 years ago

post some pics. im guessing you put the orange wire in the wrong spot.

#3 4 years ago

And what is the function if IC7 on that board? Is that part of the solenoid driver circuit or some other part?

Did you replace the diode on the sling coil? It may test good but isn't working at higher voltages.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

And what is the function if IC7 on that board? Is that part of the solenoid driver circuit or some other part?
Did you replace the diode on the sling coil? It may test good but isn't working at higher voltages.

I can't remember if that was one of the diodes that I replaced or not (I did test every diode and replaced any the were even slightly suspicious), but all of the coils have their red wire disconnected, so don't think that could be the issue...

Edit: so far as I know, ic7 is for the "special solenoids" ie the slings and pops.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

post some pics. im guessing you put the orange wire in the wrong spot.

Here's the right sling. I had a close look and it's wired up exactly the same as the left sling.

20200218_102402 (resized).jpg20200218_102402 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

measure dc volts across the switch with it open.

#7 4 years ago

Where is the wire for the second coil lug?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Where is the wire for the second coil lug?

hes cut them all off... im guessing its on the switch

#9 4 years ago

On a related note, hit up barakandl to see if he plans on restocking his (awesome!) Special Solenoid Saver board: https://nvram.weebly.com/repair--conversion-kits.html

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

hes cut them all off... im guessing its on the switch

Definitely not. I made absolutely sure that none of the solenoid wire were touching anything.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from SmasheyBashe:

Definitely not. I made absolutely sure that none of the solenoid wire were touching anything.

you also cut all the coils out? .. seems you're out of your depth.. might be time to call a tech

did you measure the voltage potential across the switch yet?

Ive seen this once on a gorgar. melted the loom with a 25v dead shot back to the ground on the kicker switch wire but i never worked out why as it stopped doing it when i stripped it all out and fixed it ( i changed too many things at once to monitor why)

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

you also cut all the coils out? .. seems you're out of your depth.. might be time to call a tech
did you measure the voltage potential across the switch yet?
Ive seen this once on a gorgar. melted the loom with a 25v dead shot back to the ground on the kicker switch wire but i never worked out why as it stopped doing it when i stripped it all out and fixed it ( i changed too many things at once to monitor why)

I'm out of town for a few days, I'll check out that voltage when I get home & report back. I wish there was a tech available, my only local option doesn't want to work on sys 6

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-right-sling-killing-board-?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.