Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider midcoastsurf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have a Firepower and the right ball lock (switch 30) is being finicky. I cleaned and adjusted the switch and replaced the diode. I also checked for broken wires in the row and column of this switch. The switches test fine if jumpered on the driver board header pins during switch test. They also register fine if switches manually triggered during switch test (connectors plugged back in). I think there could be an issue in column 4 (column the right lock is in) since sometimes the "F" switch and top middle target switch don't register in game play. These are in the same column as the right eject. BUT, these switches register every time in switch test. What is so different about game play that is causing this flaky issue? Diodes? All wiring appears to be in tact and nothing shorted that I can see. Nothing more frustrating than finally locking a ball only to have the game decide to look the other way.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Intermittent switch shorted pin on driverboard:
Ball Lock test:
Balls will eject from each lock holes in game over mode:
Place a ball in all 3 eject holes, turn power on, all 3 should eject if the right lock does not register
move the switch connectors green and white wires by re seating,pressing gently left and right on them.
The idea is to check if the ball now ejects.

The locks ejects the ball every time there is a ball if machine is turned off and back on. For example, if during a game I get a ball into the lock/saucer and the game doesn't "see it", I turn the game off and back and on and the game instantly ejects the ball 100% of the time.

Tell me more about this comment, "Intermittent switch shorted pin on driverboard"

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you tried re-flowing the solder to the header pins for the switch column connector?
I know you mentioned you checked for any broken wires to the switches in that column, but did you also give each diode a tug to make sure they're firmly attached as well?

I'll try this, thank you!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Switches working properly cpu not responding in gameplay:
The next step is to perform a master reset to factory settings:
Clear the RAM by removing the batteries wait 10 min install batteries,open coin door
turn power on then off and on rapidly to game over mode.
start a new game.

I did the reset as described above. I started a game and manually rolled ball into saucer and it sensed the ball and ejected it multiple times. I played a few games and finally the lock did not sense the ball. I turned the game off and on and the ball was instantly released from the lock. Every time the lock switch did not sense the ball, the "F" roll over switch also stopped registering a switch close. This sequence happened multiple times across a few games ("F" switch not working and right lock not sensing the ball). RAM issue?

2 weeks later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Switches working properly cpu not responding in game play no change after Reset:
Suspect currupt switch PIA/ 4049 or 7406 fault:
In Game play aside from "F" rollover also, check operation condition of Switches 25,26,27,28,29

Leaving the glass off during game play and triggering other switches in column 4 (right lock switch in this column) indicated that all switches in column 4 go out intermittently during gameplay - but when 1 switch goes out, the whole column is out. The 7406 for this column at IC17 was already socketed, so I swapped in a new 7406 chip, but no change to the switches intermittently not registering for the whole column.

I'm thinking maybe connector 2J2 on the driver board (Switch column drive) could have a bad solder joint at pin 6 or need the connector housing re-pinned and replaced. Anywhere else on the board I should be looking?

Thanks!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Suspect a Corrupt PIA wiring ok able to show switch numbers in test but not game play.

To confirm, based on the assembly drawing, this would be the PIA at IC 11, correct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider midcoastsurf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-right-lock-switch-issue?tu=midcoastsurf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.