IMG_4515 (resized).JPG
IMG_4514 (resized).JPG
IMG_4507 (resized).JPG
IMG_4508 (resized).JPG
IMG_4506 (resized).JPG
IMG_4499 (resized).JPG
IMG_4498 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago

I have to admit I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw this picture. No paint issues this time! Block to 600 grit, then I will apply the insert decals and send back for final clear coat. It's all coming together nicely now.

IMG_4443 (resized).JPGIMG_4443 (resized).JPG

IMG_4448 (resized).JPGIMG_4448 (resized).JPG

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from ApplePie:

The cabinet itself is going to take a little work. Strangely enough, when I see something like this that needs repair I don't usually reach for the staple gun...

Yeah -- wow no kidding, way overkill with the staples, looks like a hot glue repair to me lol

#53 7 years ago

This is awesome. I am thinking about picking up a Firepower myself that needs some playfield repair... You may be convincing me

#54 7 years ago

Very nice progress...looking forward to updates.

#55 7 years ago

Repro backglass arrived all safe and sound. Wow these look great. Can't wait to start putting this all back together.

IMG_4459 (resized).JPGIMG_4459 (resized).JPG

#56 7 years ago

And since the backglass needs a place to live, I figure it's time to finish off the head. Here's a couple of pics. good enough for the side of the pin

IMG_4457 (resized).PNGIMG_4457 (resized).PNG

IMG_4456 (resized).JPGIMG_4456 (resized).JPG

IMG_4460 (resized).JPGIMG_4460 (resized).JPG

IMG_4463 (resized).JPGIMG_4463 (resized).JPG

IMG_4464 (resized).JPGIMG_4464 (resized).JPG

#57 7 years ago

Wow, Lovin it !

#58 7 years ago

AMAZING! Those stencils need to be mass produced!

#59 7 years ago

Wow dude... very nice work man...

#60 7 years ago

Love the artwork!

#61 7 years ago

Wow, and I was excited to rebuild a connector two days ago.....really cool project.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

AMAZING! Those stencils need to be mass produced!

That's a great idea. I'm pretty sure there are some folks on Pinside who make excellent stencils.
The way I did it with frisket is way way way too labor intensive. Pretty neat end results though

#63 7 years ago

I love the custom artwork too. Pinball Pimp would make excellent stencils. I wonder if he'd kickback a percentage of the profits for using your artwork.

#64 7 years ago

LOVE the job you did on the head...looks similar to what I posted earlier in the thread.

What are your plans for the artwork on the body?

This is one cool re-do.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I love the custom artwork too. Pinball Pimp would make excellent stencils. I wonder if he'd kickback a percentage of the profits for using your artwork.

I think I saw some of the custom stencils he did for a Flash restoration on Pinside somewhere. Looked fantastic. And for the record, this is certainly not my artwork! I totally got this from the poster on firepowerpinball.com (what a great resource for us Firepower owners).

Firepower Poster for editing.pdfFirepower Poster for editing.pdf

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Adrift:

What are your plans for the artwork on the body?

I've got the lower cabinet prepped and painted black. I really don't have anything concrete yet for the artwork and I need a break from painting for a bit (it's time consuming and occasionally frustrating when things don't go right). So I'm going to work on assembling some of the electrical for the next bit.

I'll try to come up with something that's interesting and manageable for the cabinet. The frisket work on the head just about drove me bonkers

Ideas welcome!!!

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from ApplePie:

I think I saw some of the custom stencils he did for a Flash restoration on Pinside somewhere. Looked fantastic. And for the record, this is certainly not my artwork! I totally got this from the poster on firepowerpinball.com (what a great resource for us Firepower owners).

Well, right, the artwork isn't yours. So let's go with layout instead. You do all the work to come up with a very cool custom layout and you should be rewarded for it.

#68 7 years ago

Just want to briefly interrupt this thread to say THANK YOU to the op, ApplePie, for sending me 3 targets to replace 1 that broke on my Firepower. He paid for the shipping and really helped me out, going above and beyond what I was asking of him. Paul, if you're ever coming to Connecticut, gotta let me know. Although my machine won't hold a candle to yours once yours is done, you're still welcome to come on over and play it along with my other games. Thank you again kind sir!

Oh one other thing, taking the left upper gate off the playfield makes the game a completely different, much more difficult game. I love it and highly recommend everyone to try it, you'll like it.

#69 7 years ago

Following

Freaking cool

#70 7 years ago

Man, I'm in the middle of a firepower restoration with a few ideas of my own but damn this is going to be crazy cool.

Following.

#71 7 years ago

Love me some Firepower!!!

...for your reference - a CPR Firepower playfield vs my original.

And the fact that someone can reproduce that artwork by hand totally amazes me - hats off to you sir.

DSC03112 (resized).JPGDSC03112 (resized).JPG

#72 6 years ago

So I've been fiddling with the electrical side of things for the past few days. Here are a few pics of the controlled RGB LED's that are going to be the playfield GI circuit. I'll control these with the Pinduino, mostly defaulting white with a few color flashes or shifts when certain solenoids are triggered, like locks or pops. I'll post a demo video with some sample code when I get it tested out.

Next step is figuring out the playfield led strips and associated wiring.

IMG_4482 (resized).JPGIMG_4482 (resized).JPG

IMG_4487 (resized).JPGIMG_4487 (resized).JPG

#73 6 years ago

And I've managed to put the head back together with the updated boards, special solenoid fuse upgrade, a reworked fuse block system, one pinduino, and the new pinscore displays. Here is how I mounted the special solenoid fuse block, and the pinduino (which didn't have any mounting holes so I made a wooden mounting bracket of sorts)

I will post more information on how I adapt the pinduino to this system 6 game after I get it all set up and working.

IMG_4476 (resized).JPGIMG_4476 (resized).JPG

#74 6 years ago

Backbox work mostly complete now. I like how there is more space (and less weight) by moving the transformer to the cabinet. Leaves a nice spot for my modified fuse panel.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 week later
#76 6 years ago

A quick update on a few things I've been working on over the past week. The playfield led strips are made and I'm just sorting out a couple of ghosts in my testing apparatus. Will post a sample video when I get it sorted out.

IMG_4498 (resized).JPGIMG_4498 (resized).JPG

IMG_4499 (resized).JPGIMG_4499 (resized).JPG

#77 6 years ago

And the red powder coated parts have been completed for a few days now. I have decided to keep assembling the pin and work on some artwork ideas for the side cabinet to complete a little bit later. It won't be difficult to mask off what I need to in order to complete the painting later. I'm quite liking the black and red combination so far. I decided to prime and paint the inside of the cabinet as well in order to get rid of the smoke smell. Looks nice and tidy now. Pretty much everything has been updated in the cabinet. New speaker (this isn't the correct one, it's 4 ohm instead of the required 8 ohm which is enroute), new ground braid, new line filter, and everything else disassembled and cleaned. The transformer sits nicely near the back now as well.

IMG_4506 (resized).JPGIMG_4506 (resized).JPG

IMG_4508 (resized).JPGIMG_4508 (resized).JPG

#78 6 years ago

At some previous point in this firepowers life a lower than average intelligence individual thought it would be a good idea to try to get into the coin box via the coin return slot using a crowbar. Needless to say this didn't do any favors to the coin mechs at all. So I ended up pulling the coin mechs and rigging a momentary switch on one of the credit switches. Should work, I think...

I also wired up a couple more GI lights for the transparent blue and red flipper buttons. Hopefully these light them up well enough. We'll see in time I guess.

IMG_4507 (resized).JPGIMG_4507 (resized).JPG

#79 6 years ago

One benefit of pulling the coin mech is that I now have a solution for my "controlled upper gate". I'm going to use the coin door reject solenoid to activate the gate. I've mocked it up and I think it should work. This will be controlled by an arduino and an IRL540N transistor plus some code that I haven't given one single bit of thought to yet!

IMG_4514 (resized).JPGIMG_4514 (resized).JPG

IMG_4515 (resized).JPGIMG_4515 (resized).JPG

IMG_4518 (resized).JPGIMG_4518 (resized).JPG

#80 6 years ago

Before calling it quits this weekend I couldn't resist putting a few things together. It's still way premature but ...

IMG_4523 (resized).JPGIMG_4523 (resized).JPG

#81 6 years ago

Those programmble led light strips is a very neat idea. And I also like your controllable gate. That would give some nice extra ball tracks.

#82 6 years ago

Dang -- powder coating looking pretty nice as well, this will be awesome to see completed!

#83 6 years ago

Fantastic work, ApplePie! And I love how you are adapting the pinduino to work on other games. If you want to send measurements of where you have the pinduino connected on system 6 games, I'll see if I can make a board that will plug directly on the headers (and send you a couple to test). Usually, they are connected to the power driver board.

EDIT:

Looks like you are connecting to J11 and J12 on the power driver board. I have a board from which I can take measurements on their distance from one another, but need to know the amount of space between the edge of the board and the left side of the back box. Looks like it may be tight.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I have a board from which I can take measurements on their distance from one another, but need to know the amount of space between the edge of the board and the left side of the back box. Looks like it may be tight.

It is quite tight. I measure 2 5/8" from the backbox side wall to the center line of the header pins.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from ApplePie:

It is quite tight. I measure 2 5/8" from the backbox side wall to the center line of the header pins.

I have it at 2.5" from edge to edge of the board, so with a bit more room from the center of the top header, it should work.

1 month later
#86 6 years ago

So I've finally got the playfield back in house fully completed now. The clear coat is beautiful to say the least. I'm really happy the way everything has turned out. Pinball is really a winter hobby for me so I'm going to enjoy our short summer season up here before hitting the home stretch for this project.

IMG_4656 (resized).JPGIMG_4656 (resized).JPG

IMG_4657 (resized).JPGIMG_4657 (resized).JPG

#87 6 years ago

This is incredible work. You need to set up a how-to guide with some of these techniques.

#88 6 years ago

This looks fantastic! You've done an amazing job. I absolutely love your choice of using the starburst inserts. I know some people don't care for them but they just dazzle with the right LEDs behind them. Looking forward to the rest of the rebuild. Yes, I know we have a short summer up here but there's always a few hours here and there to get some work done!

#90 6 years ago

Looks incredible. What Airbrush set up are you using?

1 week later
#91 6 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments guys, it means a lot to me I've really enjoyed this resto project but I have to say I underestimated how long it would take by a factor of two or three!

Quoted from canoncitypb:

Looks incredible. What Airbrush set up are you using?

Gosh, I really don't know. I am honestly an amateur with the airbrush. I picked it up on Amazon for about $50, and the only thing i really knew I needed was the screw stop on the back end to control the paint flow. I had previously used a Harbor Freight version without the stop and I made a real mess out of that! The second playfield I painted with Createx AutoAir thinned with 4012 reducer which worked very well. Highly recommended and looks fantastic when cleared.

Quoted from dzorbas:

This looks fantastic! You've done an amazing job. I absolutely love your choice of using the starburst inserts. I know some people don't care for them but they just dazzle with the right LEDs behind them.

I agree! I've left quite a few clear starburst inserts so I can play around with LED colors once everything is together again.

Quoted from La_Porta:

This is incredible work. You need to set up a how-to guide with some of these techniques.

Well, quite honestly I learned how to do almost all of this from several of the how-to guides already on Pinside! When it comes to the playfield I didn't do anything too far off the beaten path. Heavy reliance on Vid's guide to playfield restoration and lots of reading other Pinsiders resto threads for ideas as well. A special shout out to Setzkor here on Pinside for providing his details on how to print and fix the decals properly.

2 months later
#92 6 years ago

Ok, I'm back at it again! Summer was great, but since it just snowed on the weekend I guess that means it's time to get back to some pinball

I started by installing the drop target mod that lots of pinsiders have completed. Took a bit of creativity sourcing the parts on eBay but it all came together in the end. A few of the topside components and rails installed then over to the backside for the mechs and wiring. There are a few things to work around now based on the changes I've made to the pin so it's a little slower than usual. Working around the playfield led strips and the drop targets means repositioning a few things. And the new controlled GI uses different wiring so I need to pull the old GI from the wiring harness and use the RGB wiring instead. Details, details, details...

Hopefully I'll have the basics completed in a week or two then start the commissioning process ...

IMG_5032 (resized).JPGIMG_5032 (resized).JPG

IMG_5036 (resized).JPGIMG_5036 (resized).JPG

#93 6 years ago

I can't come up with enough superlatives for you and your Firepower. This is what makes Pinside great.

#94 6 years ago

Looking sharp — love the red rails!

#95 6 years ago

Truly a work of love...amazing!

#96 6 years ago

Those pop bumper caps look a little familiar!

#97 6 years ago

Great thread! I appreciate that you share both your cool mods and some of the mistakes along the way. I'm on month 4 of my restoration and it's a crazy experience where so many things can go wrong!

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Those pop bumper caps look a little familiar!
» YouTube video

I'm giving these colored ones a try since the original yellowed ones really look out of place now. I also have similar led's for the pop caps so it should look pretty much the same as yours!

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from quinntopia:

Great thread! I appreciate that you share both your cool mods and some of the mistakes along the way. I'm on month 4 of my restoration and it's a crazy experience where so many things can go wrong!

I haven't shared half of the mistakes I've made

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from ApplePie:

I'm giving these colored ones a try since the original yellowed ones really look out of place now. I also have similar led's for the pop caps so it should look pretty much the same as yours!

Given that you are far from doing a "traditional" restore, I think the coloured pops with the LEDs look a million times better than those boring original caps. I apologize to the traditionalists but I like the way they look!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-with-a-few-twists/page/2?hl=quinntopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.