(Topic ID: 151401)

Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

By beatmaster

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 498 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beatmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red shooter rod (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpg
new backglass wires (resized).jpg
new backglass wires2 (resized).jpg
new backglass installed (resized).jpg
new vs old back (resized).jpg
new vs old front (resized).jpg
operator buttons (resized).jpg
left coin chute switch (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on2 (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on  (resized).jpg
it's alive lights off (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

2 weeks later
#68 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

This past weekend i took a closer at the cabinet back panel and the lower part was chipping off, damn press wood .
the rest is nice so i did a quick little fix and installed a larger piece so that way if it sits on something it will be stronger.
backbox and cabinet are loaded in the truck, going to the shop tomorrow for sanding.

Is that just bondo?

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and the backbox, now ready for putty and primer.

Wish I had a place to do all the messy stuff and painting.

1 week later
#80 7 years ago

That air brush should be cool. Got a sneak peak?

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

well, i'm gonna let him do his thing.
with something like this in mind.

WAY cool.

1 week later
#94 7 years ago

Are you going to clear over the airbrushing?

2 weeks later
#98 6 years ago

They're good and dry. That was a smart move getting them done before you left for 2 weeks.

2 weeks later
#101 6 years ago

Can't wait to see the air brushing. I sent another shooter housing light up customer your way, I think for a red one for his Kiss LE. I hope you'll have time to fix him up.

1 week later
5 months later
#109 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Yes sir. funny thing i was gonna post tonight.
Back from my brother in law, gave him the cabinet and backbox last june, told him to take his time since i was very busy this past summer.
Summer is gone and fall is almost over, that means more free time for me.
So he explained to me what was his vision and what the final result should look like and man i can't wait.
Game should be back here within a month, including clear coat.
meanwhile, i will be working on the door, transfo, all the metal parts, etc..
so what i did tonight, i prepped the cabinet and backbox for airbrush.

Looks like a black mirror Bob. Airbrushing then more clear? Or is that a silly question.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

look just what showed up today, man this is gonna be sweet when installed, guess we'll know in a few months lol.
removed the film on one of the extra pieces, very nice and bright.

A new set? Nice.

2 weeks later
#119 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

so the sneak peek above was a quick mockup from my brother in law to give me an idea.
called him today to talk about it. then he said ''oh i'm already done with the black and white on the backbox, do you want me to send you some pictures?''
hell yeah!
omg! imagine with colours.

WOW!!!

4 weeks later
#124 6 years ago

Is the plating on the metal parts still there?

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

That's a cool sand bucket thing you have there....must cut down on the hours it takes me to hand sand everything!

It's called a tumbler and yes they work great.

#130 6 years ago

Yes they have them there, go to their web site.

#134 6 years ago

I take it you media blasted the bigger pieces.

#140 6 years ago

That looks like a million bucks. Now for the fold down coin chute. Maybe get that chromed?

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i already painted that part.

I'll have to see it before I pass judgement.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

there you go, some progress tonight.

Hmmmmmm. that looks great, you have my approval.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

this week.
a few metal parts, let's start with the door frame and the glass channel support in the back.
here's a before pic.

Oh boy.....everyone get your sun glasses out, the beat-be-buffin.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

next part... this mutherfucker.... oh man won't be easy.

I'll believe that one when I see it.

#193 6 years ago

The rust pitting looks really deep and getting into those tight corners is gonna be crazy nuts.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Can you find someone in the area with a bead/media blaster? That part may be best if you can get the rust off that way.

Exactly but you'll still have to sand the hell out of it to get the rest of the metal down to the level of the pits and then sand it all to get everything down to the bottom of the pits. I just wonder if it will work with that much metal taken off. Bobs about to find out.

#198 6 years ago

It's gonna be a real test of you skills Bob.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

funny thing is i saw it on pinball life. i have to place an order soon.
i know the receiver won't be perfect but that would be around $150 cnd for something we don't see very much but i like the idea of something new.
i think i prefer putting the money on something like a chrome lockdown bar or something similar.
what do you guys think?

I think you should clean it up the best you can then prime and paint THEN put this on top, Titan Lockbar Receiver Finisher. I have one on my Jackbot and it looks great and it's tough too so you won't have to worry about taking the paint of the top of the receiver. If I were you I'd round over all the sharp edges so the paint lays nice over them. You would probably have to send them a picture of your receiver to make sure they have one of that design.

LBF_WPC95_X_002-450x300 (resized).jpgLBF_WPC95_X_002-450x300 (resized).jpg

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

finally, good news. made a phone call about the airbrush on the cabinet and backbox.
i'm supposed to have pictures of the progress tomorrow (crossing fingers). can't wait!

I gotta see um.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Lockdown Bar Receiver = done.
99.9% of the rust is gone. new brass screws (polished).
buffing on the visible top part only, since one side is against the cab and we don't really see the other side.
Still few dents (too deep) but much much better, very happy with the result.

Super job as usual Bob. Are you going to put some clear on the side facing the wood to protect from rusting again?

#223 6 years ago

Oh man that bb is looking soooooo good.

#228 6 years ago

Eastwood has some filler that will stand up to the oven temp for powder coating, I bought some years ago but never used it.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

lockdown bar = done (about 4 hours from start to finish).

Who needs chrome with that kind of result. I'll send you mine so you can do it to it.

1 week later
#279 6 years ago

I ALWAYS look forward to seeing what's been done.

#281 6 years ago

First, you already have enough space ships on the game.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yeah but that'd be the only one inside the cab lol.
i kind of like the second one

That's what I think of your second one.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Spelling alert! Second instruction line - should read "Flashing" not "Flasing" and "locking up" not "lockind"

Hey that's how they spell those words n Canada.

#299 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

how can we spell, can't even fuckin' read, lol.

Oh don't be so hard on yourself, mistakes happen.

#302 6 years ago

What kind of art you thinkin about for that wood board or are ya gonna light it up?

#307 6 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

You should consider scanning that cabinet when it's done and making decals available!

and don't forget the bb. But I bet "you know who" would put a stop to that REAL quick.

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

So is the issue that you are making graphics available? Or is the issue that you would try to sell them? If Bob were to scan them and offer them up for free (not saying that he should do that) would PP have any issue with that? I always thought it was only if you tried to profit from it that they would come after you with cease and desist orders.
I created some drop target sticker for Black Knight based on the image on the backglass. I posted those up in the BK club for free. I can't imagine that I'm going to catch any heat for something like that...

I "think" they may come down on him for that too.

#314 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

tilt panel done, nice and shinny.

How about an inlay of el wire?

#316 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

don't know yet, since i don't know how everything will fit, i want to add an extra 12 volts splitter board on that panel.
but i do have something in mind.

I see. I wound up putting so many more 6.3v bulbs and strips on my Jackbot that I had to put an 8 outlet splitter board on and powered it with a 6v 2amp wall wart. The GI OCD board only has 2amp fuses in it and I kept popping a couple of them. I have a 12v AND a 6v splitter board in it now, gonna do the same with a couple older games like Space Shuttle and Space Station. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

1 week later
2 weeks later
1 week later
#348 6 years ago

To bad about the painting. Hope you use real wood for that panel and place the bulbs to highlight the art, maybe put some lights on to do that. Don't forget to do this to the back side.....only better.

IMGA0324 (resized).JPGIMGA0324 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#350 6 years ago

Dang. Is there gonna be a star field on that too?

1 month later
#354 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i have no power on the airbrush.

Maybe if ya plug it in it will have power. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

4 months later
1 month later
1 week later
#369 5 years ago

It keeps getting better and better Bob. Gonna be a show winner if you take it to a show.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yeah but shows around here are not that great. imagine my space shuttle and firepower side by side.

Well you are kind of out in the boonies. Oh yeah I could look at those two all day they are that beautiful.

1 month later
#377 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

latest new, i should have the cabinet and backbox in my basement early next month.

Great, then you clear it right. Pictures before and after you clear it.

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i'm not the one who's gonna clear it, he will. if i don't like it, i will re clear everything, but i think it's gonna be fine.

I see.

1 week later
#381 5 years ago

Sooooo close. You got your shooter housing light up made yet?

3 weeks later
#386 5 years ago

WOW Bob, can't wait to see it buffed out.

#391 5 years ago

Looks killer Bob. Since the sides and front are beautiful black I think it would be a shame to put chrome on it, chrome would detract from the blackness of space depicted on the artwork so I'd go black chrome on all the metal. It's only money. Or go gloss black powder coating and save some money. Red lit flipper buttons, shooter rod housing and angel eye start button.

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I have black legs on mine. I think it looks good but I'm biased. (Sorry about the crap around it!)
[quoted image]
If you are going with a chrome lock down bar and coin door, I would go with chrome rails as well.

I like the black, it fits the black space scene in the art.

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

couldn't help myself
[quoted image]

That looks great, now black legs, lb and rails.

#398 5 years ago

Lookin great. Now black rails and black ldb.

2 weeks later
#406 5 years ago

I hope you feel better now. Yup gloss black is the way to go.

8 months later
#414 4 years ago

Way cool. The birth of a new mod for you to sell.

1 week later
#416 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

a few more things.
added a track for led strip to put above the tilt panel, painted the track and the clips to hold it black, wired everything.
also changed some corrugated tubing for yellow since there's already a lot of black inside the cabinet.
speaker is now bolted in place, might paint those screws black.
made a test with the polished lockdown bar with the black siderails, ?
i'm thinking about putting mirror blades on each side, and PF back panel or i might print some of the new artwork to put on that back panel.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn that's nice.

1 month later
1 month later
10 months later
#444 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

this is the new start button.
also made the wire harness to go in the splitter board inside the cab.
and it's installed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those Angel EYES look great, I had them in 2 of my games.

1 month later
#476 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

it's alive!!!
i didn't know what was going to happen.
played a few games, turns out i have a row of switches that doesn't work, will try to find where the problem is tomorrow.
other than that everything is fine.
also wired the flipper buttons light up (red) to the coin door, 2 flexible leds on a small board, very well done.
this is something i got about 6-7 years ago, also work on 12 volts. i was going to tap in the splitter board but realized the resistance on the small board gets way to hot, so i went with 6.3 volts in the coin door. (see pictures for the small board).
also led strip under the apron. that's the old apron, will re-paint with new stickers.
backglass (from planetary pinball, no idea what the colors will look like) is not changed yet, need to find a new chrome lift trim or i remove this one and try to polish it.
got another shooter rod on his way, same thing but chrome red to go with the flipper bats.
also thinking about a new plastic with sticker somewhere around the shooter lane.
pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OUTSTANDING! But no shooter housing light-up?

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

new backglass VS old.
back and front. right away you can see a difference (not in a good way).
[quoted image][quoted image]

Man how could they screw up the red and oranges that bad?

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

now installed.
am i the only one seeing wires behind the glass? is it like that on the original? i'm asking because i just realized that.
pigmentation is not the best, colors are not rich, crisp, i can see trough the backglass, wires and light (almost the light socket).
mirror is the worst part, it's kind of foggy, not clear, not sharp like a real mirror and a lot of imperfections. the old one, the mirror look much better.
this was from planetary pinball.
will i buy another one, nope. should you, nope!
Anyone got one from CPR, i think they did one not too long ago, difference?
honestly i might put the old one back on.
you'd be the judge.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That would piss me off, can you return it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-it-has-begun?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.