(Topic ID: 151401)

Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

By beatmaster

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 498 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beatmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red shooter rod (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpg
new backglass wires (resized).jpg
new backglass wires2 (resized).jpg
new backglass installed (resized).jpg
new vs old back (resized).jpg
new vs old front (resized).jpg
operator buttons (resized).jpg
left coin chute switch (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on2 (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on  (resized).jpg
it's alive lights off (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davep.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 8 years ago

I just recently acquired a Firepower with the playfield in about the same shape with the cupped inserts as well. I'm new to the forums, (and owning/maintaining a personal machine, as well) and I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress! Looks promising! Your back-glass looks to be in a lot better shape than mine. I'm hoping I'll find some tips to deal with it. Like dzorbas mentioned, my machine also has the orange inserts leading up to the standup targets. I'll see if I don't have the serial number written down somewhere.

Good luck and thanks for posting all this!

#37 8 years ago

beatmaster (or anyone), I've got a question: How can you tell if a playfield still has mylar on it? I'm wondering if mine has already been stripped bare. The person I got this particular machine from doesn't know it's full history, and I'm only seeing a couple areas that have an overlay of a layer of clear plastic on them. Around the bumpers above the flippers, and around the poppers. Like pieces that were intentionally placed there. They are actually proud of the playfield surface just slightly and somewhat thick. The rest of the board seems like it's bare, just the painted surface. I can't imagine it's always been like this otherwise the artwork would've been practically worn off by now, I'd think, just from normal play.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm thinking I'd like to do the same thing you are, but I don't want to cause more harm than good by starting off wrong.

Thanks and attached is a pic of the upper playfield. Hope it's big enough. If you zoom in around the poppers, you can just make out the circular plastic coating I'm talking about.

IMG_0801_(resized).JPGIMG_0801_(resized).JPG

#38 8 years ago
#43 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

from that picture, it looks like you have mylar around the pop, i'd be curious to see the lower part of the playfield i'm guessing like the others said you probably have mylar in front of the slingshots.
the ones around the pops doesn't look too bad, i wouldn't be concern about those. a lot of actions around that area, wouldn't remove those, unless you want to clear the playfield.

You guys nailed it, I've got the mylar going on in front of the slingshots as well (wasn't sure what to call them earlier). I have a pic, it's attached, but it's a bit blurry and might be hard to make out (iPhone camera, argh!). But that's good to know. I just assumed game boards were completely mylar coated, and not just select areas. Makes sense from a cost standpoint, I guess.

At any rate, your restoration is looking extremely good. You're making me think I'd really like to do a touch-up on the art, and a full clear coat over the playfield. I'm assuming you're shopping out the clear coat to a local shop? I neither have the equipment nor the experience to do an automotive clear coat myself, but I think I have enough art experience to deal with the touch up as long as I take my time.

Just to be sure, was the Createx mentioned earlier the brand of paint you're using for touch ups?

Thanks and again, awesome looking work! The Space Shuttle restore was fan-tas-tic.

IMG_0802_(resized).JPGIMG_0802_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider davep.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-it-has-begun?tu=davep and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.