(Topic ID: 151401)

Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

By beatmaster

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 498 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beatmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red shooter rod (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpg
new backglass wires (resized).jpg
new backglass wires2 (resized).jpg
new backglass installed (resized).jpg
new vs old back (resized).jpg
new vs old front (resized).jpg
operator buttons (resized).jpg
left coin chute switch (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on2 (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on  (resized).jpg
it's alive lights off (resized).jpg
There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

I went all black with my Firepower restore[quoted image][quoted image]

very very nice!
you have a nice door, looks perfect. original or you found a new one?

was everything powder coated?

i see you have the new decals on the cabinet, this was a great option, better than stencils.
love the instruction cards on your apron

thanks for the pics, nice machine.

#402 5 years ago

Door was original - just in very good condition.

Yes, everything was powdercoated black with a slight texture.

I just wanted something a bit different than the stock stenciled art and, yes, those are pretty nifty instruction cards

#403 5 years ago

Liked you chrome door with black legs Bob. Very classy.

2 weeks later
#405 5 years ago

so i did a little test with the old side rails since i was going to change them anyway.
did a light coat of black, a final coat, did a light coat of clear and a final coat.

until i get the real deal, this gives me a good idea of what it will look like.

will try to update more, i couldn't do much 11 days ago since i had a small surgery, couldn't bent over.

so, here's a pic, i think glossy black is definitely the way to go.

glossy black siderail (test) (resized).JPGglossy black siderail (test) (resized).JPG
#406 5 years ago

I hope you feel better now. Yup gloss black is the way to go.

3 months later
#407 4 years ago

Any update on this? Would like to see the finish product

#408 4 years ago

very slowly since summer is my high season. Will get back to it no worries.

3 months later
#409 4 years ago

ok,

trying to get back to my restoration slowly.
so today i installed the lockdown bar receiver, did the ground in the cabinet.

this week, tilt panel should be installed, wire harness and speaker...

playfield is now back home, has been cleared, brother in law made a few mistakes around the inserts, nothing major, lines could have been a little wider but playfield is nice and flat.
won't re-touch anything at this point, been waiting so long for him to finish. one thing for sure, it will play like new. maybe in the future (crossing fingers) a new playfield.

pics.

firepower (ground) (resized).jpgfirepower (ground) (resized).jpgfirepower (lockdown bar receiver) (resized).jpgfirepower (lockdown bar receiver) (resized).jpgfirepower (lockdown bar receiver2) (resized).jpgfirepower (lockdown bar receiver2) (resized).jpg
#410 4 years ago

this is what i did this week.

tilt panel is back in place.
new power cord. yes i will change the line filter.
installed the power supply on the tilt panel, connected to the power switch, when the game turns on so does the power supply.
made the connector to go to the splitter board to see if everything works, it does.
installed the under cabinet lighting (rgb led strip with remote) connected to the splitter board, works fine (see pics).
felt on the playfield support, easier to slide the PF and doesn't scratch.
connected the speaker, need to bolt everything in place.
corrugated tubing, may change some for yellow.

can't find my new interlock switch for the door, looks like i'm gonna have to order another one.
not sure yet what i'll do with the start button.

next time.
flipper button light up, not sure which version i'll chose.
start button or order something different.
bolt the speaker in place.
glass channel in the back.
light over the tilt panel.
light between the cab and the head, behind the grill.
maybe my shooter housing light up.
need to see if i got 4 nice legs that i can paint glossy black.
knowing me may add more stuff.

here's the pics.

tilt panel 01 (resized).jpgtilt panel 01 (resized).jpgtilt panel 02 (resized).jpgtilt panel 02 (resized).jpgtilt panel 03 (resized).jpgtilt panel 03 (resized).jpgunder cabinet light 01 (resized).jpgunder cabinet light 01 (resized).jpgunder cabinet light 02 (resized).jpgunder cabinet light 02 (resized).jpg
#411 4 years ago

Looks sweet! The red harness and light just adds to it.

#413 4 years ago

so i made a little box to go inside the neck (behind the grill), this way i won't see the wires going up to the back box when light is on.
I might also add something more in there and i think it's gonna be pretty cool.
Used a regular rgb 50/50 led strip, brushed metal vinyl inside for more reflection.

also installed the glass channel in the back.
wires ready for the light above the tilt panel.

pics.

firepower neck light up 01 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 01 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 02 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 02 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 03 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 03 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 04 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 04 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 05 (resized).jpgfirepower neck light up 05 (resized).jpg
#414 4 years ago

Way cool. The birth of a new mod for you to sell.

1 week later
#415 4 years ago

a few more things.

added a track for led strip to put above the tilt panel, painted the track and the clips to hold it black, wired everything.
also changed some corrugated tubing for yellow since there's already a lot of black inside the cabinet.
speaker is now bolted in place, might paint those screws black.

made a test with the polished lockdown bar with the black siderails, ?

i'm thinking about putting mirror blades on each side, and PF back panel or i might print some of the new artwork to put on that back panel.

cabinet light:corrugated tubing (resized).jpgcabinet light:corrugated tubing (resized).jpgcabinet light:corrugated tubing2 (resized).jpgcabinet light:corrugated tubing2 (resized).jpgcabinet light:corrugated tubing3 (resized).jpgcabinet light:corrugated tubing3 (resized).jpgcabinet lighting (track) (resized).jpgcabinet lighting (track) (resized).jpgchrome lockdown bar with black siderails (resized).jpgchrome lockdown bar with black siderails (resized).jpg
#416 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

a few more things.
added a track for led strip to put above the tilt panel, painted the track and the clips to hold it black, wired everything.
also changed some corrugated tubing for yellow since there's already a lot of black inside the cabinet.
speaker is now bolted in place, might paint those screws black.
made a test with the polished lockdown bar with the black siderails, ?
i'm thinking about putting mirror blades on each side, and PF back panel or i might print some of the new artwork to put on that back panel.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn that's nice.

#417 4 years ago

Beautiful job - Can't wait to see it completely finished!

FirePower is one of my favorite games - picked one up about a year ago to restore - but not gotten to it yet.

1 month later
#418 4 years ago

Damn, i had a crazy busy month (last December).

Ok, so i moved the cabinet away, right beside my GOT. re-installed the old legs, buarrrk.
Removed 2 years of masking tape around the airbrush, paper came off but not the glue. My girlfriend got me these nice pads where she works a while ago, seriously, i think it's better than goo gone, works like a charm.

Also tried the old backglass to give me an idea of the look, not bad.

firepower new cab (resized).jpgfirepower new cab (resized).jpgglue remover (resized).jpgglue remover (resized).jpgnew backbox left (resized).jpgnew backbox left (resized).jpgnew backbox right (resized).jpgnew backbox right (resized).jpgnew backbox with backglass (resized).jpgnew backbox with backglass (resized).jpg
#419 4 years ago

but, but what does it look like with the cabinet?

fair enough.

new look 1 (resized).jpgnew look 1 (resized).jpgnew look 2 (resized).jpgnew look 2 (resized).jpgnew look 3 (resized).jpgnew look 3 (resized).jpgnew look 4 (resized).jpgnew look 4 (resized).jpg
#421 4 years ago

Looks freaking amazing!

#422 4 years ago

so Paul, lmao...

got myself a new line filter for the cabinet.
re-installed the black grill in the back of the backbox.
and re-installed all the metal sheets inside the backbox.

pics.

backbox sheet metal (resized).jpgbackbox sheet metal (resized).jpgbackbox sheet metal1 (resized).jpgbackbox sheet metal1 (resized).jpgbackbox sheet metal2 (resized).jpgbackbox sheet metal2 (resized).jpgnew line filter (resized).jpgnew line filter (resized).jpg
1 month later
#423 4 years ago

Any news with this game?

#424 4 years ago

working on it.

Just realized and completely forgot about all the brackets and lock/mechanism inside the backbox (hiding in a small box in the corner of the basement) need to be cleaned up, remove the rust, maybe paint a few parts.

cleaning the wire harness, new tie wraps.
cleaning the power supply, brackets and paint the transformer black.

1 week later
#425 4 years ago

small update.

all brackets for the boards inside the backbox, before, after and installed.

almost done cleaning the wire harness.

pics.

backbox board brackets (before) (resized).jpgbackbox board brackets (before) (resized).jpgbackbox bracket (before) (resized).jpgbackbox bracket (before) (resized).jpgbackbox board brackets (after) (resized).jpgbackbox board brackets (after) (resized).jpgbackbox board brackets (installed) (resized).jpgbackbox board brackets (installed) (resized).jpg
#426 4 years ago

Another small update.

all wires nice and clean.
new tie wraps.
re painted the power supply, flat black high temperature.
removed the rust on the brackets holding the power supply, a little bit of sanding and shining, new bolts (had to cut them).
lock mechanism back in place with a new lock.
starting to reassemble the inside of the cab, should be done by next weekend.

firepower power supply (resized).jpgfirepower power supply (resized).jpgbackbox reassembling (resized).jpgbackbox reassembling (resized).jpg
#428 4 years ago

It's done.
went well, all wires are nice and tight, looks a lot cleaner than before.
things left to do, the light panel behind the backglass and the new backglass with new lift trim (if i can put my hands on it).

back on top of the cabinet for now.

backbox boards (left) (resized).jpgbackbox boards (left) (resized).jpgbackbox boards (resized).jpgbackbox boards (resized).jpgbackbox boards (right) (resized).jpgbackbox boards (right) (resized).jpg
#429 4 years ago

next, the playfield, a lot of things to change, this is gonna be fun!

i should start working on it tomorrow.

Firepower playfield (resized).jpgFirepower playfield (resized).jpgFirepower playfield 2 (resized).jpgFirepower playfield 2 (resized).jpg
#430 4 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, great job, that will be one sweet playing firepower!

#431 4 years ago

Damn, jealous, your pf looks so much better than my two does together..

2 weeks later
#432 4 years ago

well,

when i received the PF i didn't really look at it since i was working on the cabinet.
just realized he made a few mistakes (too late now) but the clear does look good.

no 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x on the insert. (guess i'm gonna have to find a way) probably instructions on the apron.
and 1-6 on the inserts in front of the standing targets. no too bad since each insert are in front of the designated target, it's pretty obvious.
and some lines around the inserts are not wide enough.
brother in law, so, i'm just gonna shut the f*ck up, been waiting so long for this.

at least, it still gonna play like new.
at some point, if i get my hands on another old pf i might do it again (something i should have done in the first place, like i always do, lesson learned).

so,
what i did last week, made new wood guide/lane guide whatever we call it.
Re-built the pop bumpers but will change the pop bumper caps and body for clear ones like i did on my space shuttle 3 years ago.

now i'm working on the top part of the playfield since i'm waiting for parts, almost done.
I didn't removed the film on each side of the new plastics, i will do that when i'm almost done.
waiting on new light sockets for the G.I that will be done at the same time i'll be working on the under side.

i will probably add 2 new space ship plastic (just like the ones on the cabinet) on each side of the playfield, above the shooter lane and upper left orbit.
and a few other things, gotta do it.

pics for now.
wood lane guide (resized).jpgwood lane guide (resized).jpgtop playfield (resized).jpgtop playfield (resized).jpgtop playfield 2 (resized).jpgtop playfield 2 (resized).jpgtop playfield 3 (resized).jpgtop playfield 3 (resized).jpg

#433 4 years ago

Nice! Thx for the update.

#434 4 years ago

Holy smokes! That's shaping up beautifully!

6 months later
#435 3 years ago

What’s happening with this beauty?

#436 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

well,

i rarely do restoration in the summer. meanwhile i did received few more parts.

short story, here's what happened, i had my playfield on two stand with the tie wraps holding everything in place (last picture you can see the tie wrap, white) i pushed everything away, in a corner.
one day i see my playfield on the floor on it's right side (shooter lane) the tie wrap broke. damage to the wood guide/lane (black) and clear in the shooter lane is cracked. so i'm gonna have to fix that. pisses me off. i'll take pictures.

i know it's been a long restoration, at some point i had no choice but wait. i think i'll be done this winter, hoping all electronics is fine.

i will get back to it for sure.

1 month later
#437 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Anything new going on with this?

Quoted from mrm_4:

Any news with this game?

Quoted from mrm_4:

I'm back for the annual interrogating....

Any updates????

#438 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I'm back for the annual interrogating....
Any updates????

lollll, it's coming. just received my new start button.
going to repaint the piece of wood in the shooter lane this week.

i will get back to it very soon.

2 months later
#439 3 years ago

so i started to work on the machine about 1 1/2 month ago, when i can, about 2 times a week.

so far i have both side rails painted installed, chrome leg bolts installed.

working on the underside of the playfield, upper part is done, cleaned the leaf switches, new light sockets.

i'm still not sure about the pop bumpers, if i go with clear pop bumper body and caps or white.

will update this weekend with pictures.

#440 3 years ago

i said about 3 months ago during summer the tie wrap holding the playfield broke and landed on the right side (shooter lane).

this is what happened..... pisses me off!
playfield damage (resized).jpgplayfield damage (resized).jpgplayfield damage 2 (resized).jpgplayfield damage 2 (resized).jpg

#441 3 years ago

now the playfield is back in my workshop (about 20 feet away, lol).
changing light socket and the plastic for the kickout holes for red translucent.
cleaning leaf switch, soldering where it needs too.

light sockets and plastic parts (resized).jpglight sockets and plastic parts (resized).jpgplayfield in workshop (resized).jpgplayfield in workshop (resized).jpg
#442 3 years ago

this is the new start button.
also made the wire harness to go in the splitter board inside the cab.

and it's installed.

Start button installed (resized).jpgStart button installed (resized).jpgstart button installed 2 (resized).jpgstart button installed 2 (resized).jpgstart button wire harness (resized).jpgstart button wire harness (resized).jpgstart button on (resized).jpgstart button on (resized).jpg
#443 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i said about 3 months ago during summer the tie wrap holding the playfield broke and landed on the right side (shooter lane).
this is what happened..... pisses me off!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Can’t believe the clear shattered like that! When you repair it, might be an opportunity to sand the arrows and add some 1-6 decals and reclear.

That start button is sexy.

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

this is the new start button.
also made the wire harness to go in the splitter board inside the cab.
and it's installed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those Angel EYES look great, I had them in 2 of my games.

#445 3 years ago

almost done with the flipper assembly.

i'm not 100% sure if all my wires are ok, i took pictures 4 years ago and changed my ipad since then and for whatever reason can't find them.
hopping i have a good memory lolll.

if anyone can't shoot me a picture of both flipper assembly, from the leaf switch to the coil, that'd be nice and appreciated.
i just want to make sure i did it right.

thanks guys.

#446 3 years ago

Let me know if you need anymore.

IMG_20210205_134700 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134700 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134716 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134716 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134724 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134724 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134729 (resized).jpgIMG_20210205_134729 (resized).jpg
#447 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Let me know if you need anymore.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

this is perfect, thank you!

#448 3 years ago

rebuilding pop bumpers.

translucent body and cap or white or white body with translucent cap?

i like all of them. leds will look crazy with all translucent but is it overkill?

*note. i don't have new pop bumper caps like the original.

pop bumper options (resized).jpgpop bumper options (resized).jpgpop bumper optionss (resized).jpgpop bumper optionss (resized).jpg
#449 3 years ago

I think white, but Im known to be conservative.

1 week later
#450 3 years ago

this week.

turns out the wiring on both flipper assembly was ok, thanks to "mtn-" for the pictures to confirm, looks like my memory was not so bad after all.
cleaned all the leaf switches.
installed new light socket with red leds under each kickout hole.
replaced bad light sockets (mostly g.i).
new red chrome flipper bats.
changed the ac line filter.

this weekend i will double check everything.
install the old apron with my custom free play/instruction cards (it's available in this thread), for now, it will be repaint glossy black with new stickers.
if everything goes well i should turn the switch on in the next few days.

new line filter (resized).jpgnew line filter (resized).jpgold light sockets (resized).jpgold light sockets (resized).jpgred chrome flipper bats (resized).jpgred chrome flipper bats (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-it-has-begun/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.