(Topic ID: 151401)

Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

By beatmaster

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 498 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beatmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red shooter rod (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpg
new backglass wires (resized).jpg
new backglass wires2 (resized).jpg
new backglass installed (resized).jpg
new vs old back (resized).jpg
new vs old front (resized).jpg
operator buttons (resized).jpg
left coin chute switch (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on2 (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on  (resized).jpg
it's alive lights off (resized).jpg
There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 6 years ago

first step.

lockdown bar received (rust removed) (resized).JPGlockdown bar received (rust removed) (resized).JPG

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

next part... this mutherfucker.... oh man won't be easy.

This is what I would do. It should fit fine.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2093

#203 6 years ago

Update: This is the one I was looking for. Kerry makes the best parts.

https://mantispinball.com/product/misc-receiver-with-spring/

He talks about it on his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/mantispinball/

#204 6 years ago

funny thing is i saw it on pinball life. i have to place an order soon.
i know the receiver won't be perfect but that would be around $150 cnd for something we don't see very much but i like the idea of something new.

i think i prefer putting the money on something like a chrome lockdown bar or something similar.

what do you guys think?

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

funny thing is i saw it on pinball life. i have to place an order soon.
i know the receiver won't be perfect but that would be around $150 cnd for something we don't see very much but i like the idea of something new.
i think i prefer putting the money on something like a chrome lockdown bar or something similar.
what do you guys think?

I think you should clean it up the best you can then prime and paint THEN put this on top, Titan Lockbar Receiver Finisher. I have one on my Jackbot and it looks great and it's tough too so you won't have to worry about taking the paint of the top of the receiver. If I were you I'd round over all the sharp edges so the paint lays nice over them. You would probably have to send them a picture of your receiver to make sure they have one of that design.

LBF_WPC95_X_002-450x300 (resized).jpgLBF_WPC95_X_002-450x300 (resized).jpg

#206 6 years ago

I didn't see the progress you had already made when I posted the links for the repros.

If you hadn't turned it around as well as you have, I would have suggested finding a better one locally that would clean up easier and save the money.

But based on how well you have been able to clean that one up, combined with the fact you never see it, I'd live with the one you have and save even more money.

#207 6 years ago

i like that idea paul, i think i'm gonna do the best i can and go from there.
the bigger side is against the cab so we won't see that side, obviously i won't buff that side.

i'm gonna sand the top side as much as i can and buff it out, i can always find a similar material to put on top.

Quoted from MikeO:

I didn't see the progress you had already made when I posted the links for the repros.
If you hadn't turned it around as well as you have, I would have suggested finding a better one locally that would clean up easier and save the money.
But based on how well you have been able to clean that one up, combined with the fact you never see it, I'd live with the one you have and save even more money.

thanks for the infos man, i found some cool things on mantis website.

#208 6 years ago

Is that Mantis one an exact replacement for our FP piece? $65 is pretty cheap.

#209 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks, i'm curious to see the result.

The first picture is how rusty. I sanded, used evaporust...I even used a spiral wire brush on a drill...the stuff was practically impervious. I finally got it off, but the surface was just too far gone. So, At the suggestion of someone else here, I bought the chrome wrap. For $10, it was a no-brainer.

IMG_2318 (resized).JPGIMG_2318 (resized).JPGIMG_3950 (resized).JPGIMG_3950 (resized).JPGIMG_3951 (resized).JPGIMG_3951 (resized).JPG

#210 6 years ago

result is pretty damn good, i think you did the right thing.

#211 6 years ago

Still, your polishing is second to none. I can’t wait to see it all together.

#212 6 years ago

where are those lockdown bar decals available at?

#215 6 years ago

finally, good news. made a phone call about the airbrush on the cabinet and backbox.

i'm supposed to have pictures of the progress tomorrow (crossing fingers). can't wait!

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

finally, good news. made a phone call about the airbrush on the cabinet and backbox.
i'm supposed to have pictures of the progress tomorrow (crossing fingers). can't wait!

I gotta see um.

#217 6 years ago

Lockdown Bar Receiver = done.
99.9% of the rust is gone. new brass screws (polished).
buffing on the visible top part only, since one side is against the cab and we don't really see the other side.
Still few dents (too deep) but much much better, very happy with the result.

FP lockdown bar receiver (before after) (resized).jpgFP lockdown bar receiver (before after) (resized).jpg

FP lockdown bar reciever (done) (resized).JPGFP lockdown bar reciever (done) (resized).JPG

FP lockdown bar reciever (done-back) (resized).JPGFP lockdown bar reciever (done-back) (resized).JPG

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Lockdown Bar Receiver = done.
99.9% of the rust is gone. new brass screws (polished).
buffing on the visible top part only, since one side is against the cab and we don't really see the other side.
Still few dents (too deep) but much much better, very happy with the result.

Super job as usual Bob. Are you going to put some clear on the side facing the wood to protect from rusting again?

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Super job as usual Bob. Are you going to put some clear on the side facing the wood to protect from rusting again?

thanks paul, nope, it shouldn't rust anytime soon since there won't be any spill of any kind, not saying it will never rust.
i did my playboy years ago and still look perfect.

#220 6 years ago

hell yeah!

backbox now with more colours, awesome!

firepower backbox with colors (resized).jpgfirepower backbox with colors (resized).jpg

firepower backbox with colors2 (resized).jpgfirepower backbox with colors2 (resized).jpg

#221 6 years ago

That looks pretty cool! Very nice!

#222 6 years ago

great work on the lockdown and the backbox is looking great

#223 6 years ago

Oh man that bb is looking soooooo good.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

That looks pretty cool! Very nice!

Quoted from swinks:

great work on the lockdown and the backbox is looking great

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh man that bb is looking soooooo good.

thanks guys.

the lockdown bar receiver was a pita, not sure i'll do that again.

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks guys.
the lockdown bar receiver was a pita, not sure i'll do that again.

That statement says a lot. If the Mantis repro was readily available would you have purchased it instead were you to have the need again?

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

That statement says a lot. If the Mantis repro was readily available would you have purchased it instead were you to have the need again?

good question, probably depending on what look i'm looking for. make it polished stainless steel, absolutely but will probably cost a lot more.
i was about 50% done so might as well finish it and i like the challenge.

no doubt, mantis have a good product for anyone making a restoration, i wouldn't be surprised getting one in the future for a project.

#227 6 years ago

next, lockdown bar and rear glass channel.

i know i'm probably going to buy a chrome lockdown bar and glass channel but let's see the result first, never know.
one thing i don't like is the spot weld on top of the bar.

Lockdown bar: glass channel (before) (resized).JPGLockdown bar: glass channel (before) (resized).JPG

#228 6 years ago

Eastwood has some filler that will stand up to the oven temp for powder coating, I bought some years ago but never used it.

#229 6 years ago

another mock-up for the cabinet. more stuff will be added.

Firepower cabinet mock up (resized).pngFirepower cabinet mock up (resized).png

#230 6 years ago

first step for the lockdown bar.

FP lockdown bar (first step) (resized).JPGFP lockdown bar (first step) (resized).JPG

#231 6 years ago

lockdown bar = done (about 4 hours from start to finish).

FP Lockdown Bar (done) (resized).JPGFP Lockdown Bar (done) (resized).JPG

FP Lockdown Bar (done2) (resized).JPGFP Lockdown Bar (done2) (resized).JPG

#232 6 years ago

Good thing you aren’t going to Pintastic...you’d blow my FP out of the water!

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Good thing you aren’t going to Pintastic...you’d blow my FP out of the water!

it's only 6-7 hours away, i'd probably be working on that weekend anyway.

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Amazing job! That is going to be one fine machine when you're done.

How is your boardset? Have you gone through those yet? It would be good to do all the bulletproofing to them and the updates. Also adding the two extra fuses at the inputs to the bridges. I had to make a tool to fix all the .156" connectors on mine except for the 40 pin which was all replaced.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Amazing job! That is going to be one fine machine when you're done.
How is your boardset? Have you gone through those yet? It would be good to do all the bulletproofing to them and the updates. Also adding the two extra fuses at the inputs to the bridges. I had to make a tool to fix all the .156" connectors on mine except for the 40 pin which was all replaced.

thanks,

well the game was working fine except one switch, i'll know near the end of the restoration. yeah i heard about the 2 extra fuses, gonna have to look into that.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Who needs chrome with that kind of result. I'll send you mine so you can do it to it.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Okay, that's just sick. There's something wrong with you. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

#238 6 years ago

Can you post a tutorial video on how to polish like you do? These before and after pics are mind bending! Amazing work.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks,
well the game was working fine except one switch, i'll know near the end of the restoration. yeah i heard about the 2 extra fuses, gonna have to look into that.

Attached is a picture of how I mounted them in my Blackout. It should be similar to your Firepower. I centered them with the bolt for the backbox. It is an easy update. Just add the two fuse holders (with labels) and make a couple jumper wires to go back to the bridges. The one wire you pull off each bridge should reach those fuse holders without extending them.

FuseUpgrade (resized).jpgFuseUpgrade (resized).jpg

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Who needs chrome with that kind of result. I'll send you mine so you can do it to it.

thanks paul, knowing me i'll probably get a few chrome pieces.

keep your metal.... loll. I still have a lot to do, when i'm done i'll probably have an indigestion.

Quoted from dzorbas:

Okay, that's just sick. There's something wrong with you. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

well yes, i'm probably crazy! i was supposed to go on vacation but girlfriend can't so a lot of free time, on vacation until 24th of february, after that another month, maybe more before high season kicks in.

Quoted from mrm_4:

Can you post a tutorial video on how to polish like you do? These before and after pics are mind bending! Amazing work.

maybe not a video but i'll try to do something.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Attached is a picture of how I mounted them in my Blackout. It should be similar to your Firepower. I centered them with the bolt for the backbox. It is an easy update. Just add the two fuse holders (with labels) and make a couple jumper wires to go back to the bridges. The one wire you pull off each bridge should reach those fuse holders without extending them.

thanks for the pic and infos, definitely a good thing.

#242 6 years ago

Damm.... that lock out bar looks awesome how the hell did you achieve that outcome?

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from kuelman:

Damm.... that lock out bar looks awesome how the hell did you achieve that outcome?

a lot of sanding and buffing.

Here's the rundown;
(the key) i started to sand the lockdown bar with a 100 grit sand paper, next 180 (i might use a wheel on this one), 280, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 all that always in the same direction, always.
Buffing, i also like to use a power drill with buffing wheels, it gives me a better control in general and in tight spot.
The thing with stainless steel because of the texture it takes a lot of time, i can spend 15 - 20 minutes with a 100 grit sand paper alone, same for 180, as you go up it becomes smoother so it's a lot easier, at 600 it starts to shine, at 1000 it's pretty smooth, 1200 you remove all the fine lines (before that for the bigger ones). most of it by hand (a lot of time and elbow grease).

buffing,
good buffing wheels and paste.
i always use the same wheel with the same color (green for stainless steel), another to remove left overs and another wheel for final buffing (depending on the area i might switch between size or shape).
i always (most of the time, depending on the piece) buff in the same direction.
it's not easy but after a few pieces you get the idea, don't stay too long in the same spot, apply just enough paste on the wheel etc...

- i already the did 100 and 180 on the rear glass channel tonight, should be done tomorrow.

#244 6 years ago

that bar looks incredible, simply beautiful

#245 6 years ago

WOW! Simply incredible transformation!

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

a lot of sanding and buffing.
Here's the rundown;
(the key) i started to sand the lockdown bar with a 100 grid sand paper, next 180 (i might use a wheel on this one), 280, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 all that always in the same direction, always.
Buffing, i also like to use a power drill with buffing wheels, it gives me a better control in general and in tight spot.
The thing with stainless steel because of the texture it takes a lot of time, i can spend 15 - 20 minutes with a 100 grid sand paper alone, same for 180, as you go up it becomes smoother so it's a lot easier, at 600 it starts to shine, at 1000 it's pretty smooth, 1200 you remove all the fine lines (before that for the bigger ones). most of it by hand (a lot of time and elbow grease).
buffing,
good buffing wheels and paste.
i always use the same wheel with the same color (green for stainless steel), another to remove left overs and another wheel for final buffing (depending on the area i might switch between size or shape).
i always (most of the time, depending on the piece) buff in the same direction.
it's not easy but after a few pieces you get the idea, don't stay too long in the same spot, apply just enough paste on the wheel etc...
- i already the did 100 and 180 on the rear glass channel tonight, should be done tomorrow.

As everyone is saying, very nice result. I have done three lock down bars and tried something different each time. Most sources say to change angles with every grit to be able to see that the new grit has removed all marks from the previous grit. No matter what I do I wind up with some hazing. From a photo distance like yours mine would look pretty similar. Up close you can see features in the shine. The last one I did I decided to use my orbital the whole time through all grits which makes it hard to assess at each step but progress is quick. The end product is very shiny but does have some minor swirl marks left over. Just curious what yours is like up close.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

As everyone is saying, very nice result. I have done three lock down bars and tried something different each time. Most sources say to change angles with every grit to be able to see that the new grit has removed all marks from the previous grit. No matter what I do I wind up with some hazing. From a photo distance like yours mine would look pretty similar. Up close you can see features in the shine. The last one I did I decided to use my orbital the whole time through all grits which makes it hard to assess at each step but progress is quick. The end product is very shiny but does have some minor swirl marks left over. Just curious what yours is like up close.

thanks!
well, you're not wrong with sanding in an angle, very true to go fast but will leave marks. i've tried all kinds of ways, this is the best way i found for myself and still it's not perfect, i doubt i can make it shine like a mirror, it's close but will never replace chrome, stainless steel is a pita to work with because of the texture.

i know there's some pieces i won't try like side rails, it's big, hard to manipulate, can bent easily, that's when i go chrome.

#248 6 years ago

Forgot to ask it sounded like you used a wheel for a lot of them where did you get 600 and finer grit wheels? Or were those by hand?

On a Xenon I decided to polish the side rails, wow what a ton of work, Very shiny but plenty of haze to them.

#249 6 years ago

Started with the wheel (only on 180) and finished by hand, about 30 minutes for 180 and already smooth.
you can see the metal dust on the counter.

all the other grit about 20 minutes each, all by hand.

at 180

rear glass channel 180 (wheel) (resized).JPGrear glass channel 180 (wheel) (resized).JPG
rear glass channel 180 -1 (resized).JPGrear glass channel 180 -1 (resized).JPG
rear glass channel 180 (resized).JPGrear glass channel 180 (resized).JPG

at 280

glass channel 280 (resized).JPGglass channel 280 (resized).JPG
glass channel 280-2 (resized).JPGglass channel 280-2 (resized).JPG

at 320

glass channel 320 (resized).JPGglass channel 320 (resized).JPG
glass channel 320-2 (resized).JPGglass channel 320-2 (resized).JPG

at 400

glass channel 400 (resized).JPGglass channel 400 (resized).JPG
glass channel 400-2 (resized).JPGglass channel 400-2 (resized).JPG

at 600

glass channel 600 (resized).JPGglass channel 600 (resized).JPG
glass channel 600-2 (resized).JPGglass channel 600-2 (resized).JPG

at 800

glass channel 800 (resized).JPGglass channel 800 (resized).JPG
glass channel 800-2 (resized).JPGglass channel 800-2 (resized).JPG

at 1000

glass channel 1000 (resized).JPGglass channel 1000 (resized).JPG
glass channel 1000-2 (resized).JPGglass channel 1000-2 (resized).JPG
glass channel 1000-3 (resized).JPGglass channel 1000-3 (resized).JPG

next buffing.

buffing wheel and paste (before buffing) (resized).JPGbuffing wheel and paste (before buffing) (resized).JPG

#250 6 years ago

Rear glass channel is done.

Second picture is about 6 inches away.

rear glass channel (done:after) (resized).JPGrear glass channel (done:after) (resized).JPG

rear glass channel (done:close up) (resized).JPGrear glass channel (done:close up) (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-it-has-begun/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.