Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

(Topic ID: 151401)

Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

By beatmaster

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 383 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by beatmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 200 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3 fev. 2019 (first clear coat) (resized).jpg
Stars added (right side) jan. 2019 (resized).jpg
more on the backbox (left side) jan 2019 (resized).jpg
Front cleared (jan 2019) (resized).jpg
cabinet left side (dec. 2018) (resized).jpg
cabinet right side (dec. 2018) (resized).jpg
Cabinet left side (nov. 2018) (resized).jpg
Backbox right side (nov. 2018) (resized).jpg
Backbox right progress oct. 2018 (resized).jpg
Front progress oct. 2018 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
IMGA0324 (resized).JPG
speaker decal (resized).JPG
tilt panel decal (resized).JPG
service buttons decal (resized).JPG
20180322_215119 (resized).jpg

There are 383 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Do you happen to know of any place that sells that small door for coin return? I have a Blackout and I think it may supposed to have a door like that on it.

no idea, i'd like to have one myself.

#152 1 year ago

Door is done, nice and clean.

just need to find the file for that sticker for those 3 service buttons, went on pinball rebel website and can't find it, so if anyone have the file let me know.
and maybe change one of the button, it's broken but still working.

thanks, bob.

next step, door frame and some more metal parts.

FP door front (done) (resized).JPG

FP door back (done) (resized).JPG

#154 1 year ago

Amazing job on that coin door

#155 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

just need to find the file for that sticker for those 3 service buttons, went on pinball rebel website and can't find it, so if anyone have the file let me know.

The Williams Diagnostic push buttons file aren't right? http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Williams/Williams_STD-601_push_buttons.zip

#156 1 year ago

Looks fantastic. I just ordered one of these and installed it on my Blackout.

ebay.com link » Williams System 3 4 6 Coin Door Diagnostic Switch Decal

I posted pictures on the Blackout club/owners thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome/page/5

I had to trim the outer holes with a fresh exactly after installing but it turned out great.

#157 1 year ago

Your gonna need this too. This set comes with the service button sticker.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG364

For .89cents you better toss in 3 of these.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG363

IMG_3929 (resized).JPG

IMG_3931 (resized).JPG

#158 1 year ago
Quoted from g94:

Amazing job on that coin door

thank you guys!

no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't find it. i must be blind lol or took a wrong turn somewhere.
thanks man!

** and just realized if you go to inkochnito.nl directly, boom it's right there. when you go to pinballrebel and try to get to it you can easily get lost.

Looks fantastic. I just ordered one of these and installed it on my Blackout.
ebay.com link ยป Williams System 3 4 6 Coin Door Diagnostic Switch Decal
I posted pictures on the Blackout club/owners thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome/page/5
I had to trim the outer holes with a fresh exactly after installing but it turned out great.

thanks for the infos, blackout is another great game.

Quoted from Travish:

Your gonna need this too. This set comes with the service button sticker.
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG364
For .89cents you better toss in 3 of these.
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG363

thanks for the infos travish.

i'd prefer the files if possible so i can make them myself, not cheap, international shipping.

#159 1 year ago

All those coin door decals are on inkochnito's site if you want to print them out yourself.

#160 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

All those coin door decals are on inkochnito's site if you want to print them out yourself.

What's the link?

Hoe about a source for the yellow covers themselves?

#161 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

yep, just found them, i was probably impatient... it happens.
i used to have a direct link in my old computer.

thanks for all the help guys.

#162 1 year ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

What's the link?

http://www.inkochnito.nl and go in williams section

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

hard to find, i know swinks (here on pinside) made them it's on shape ways website.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/4KH9JPH7W/wms-coin-door-switch-cover-prt-03-7233?optionId=17849829

#164 1 year ago

Everyone here helps make this a great resource...thanks!

#165 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

hard to find, i know swinks (here on pinside) made them it's on shape ways website.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4KH9JPH7W/wms-coin-door-switch-cover-prt-03-7233?optionId=17849829

cheers beatmaster, la_porta I redesigned those a few years ago as a few local pinhead mates needed them for a few restores and was given one to copy.

#166 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks man!
** and just realized if you go to inkochnito.nl directly, boom it's right there. when you go to pinballrebel and try to get to it you can easily get lost.

You're welcome. I do think it's a bit weird that further down the list there's two other sets of images for the diagnostic push buttons that are just called "push buttons label" (std-634 and 16-9166). I'm not sure why all three aren't together in the list.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

cheers beatmaster, la_porta I redesigned those a few years ago as a few local pinhead mates needed them for a few restores and was given one to copy.

Are they just like what is shown on shapeways?

It looks like the part is missing the tab in the center that presses on the switch to give credits. The part shown would work as a cover to protect the switch but that is all it would do. Was the example part used ok or maybe it was cut off?

#168 1 year ago

Are they just like what is shown on shapeways?
It looks like the part is missing the tab in the center that presses on the switch to give credits. The part shown would work as a cover to protect the switch but that is all it would do. Was the example part used ok or maybe it was cut off?

I replicated off an original cover - check out the other pictures on shapeways as it has sections cut out on the other side for switches

#169 1 year ago

this week.

a few metal parts, let's start with the door frame and the glass channel support in the back.

here's a before pic.

FP door fame:glass channel (before) (resized).JPG

#170 1 year ago

just to give an idea.

i did the glass channel support with 80 grid on the top surface (always in the same direction). i can tell it's gonna look good, 99% of the rust is gone, not perfect, i can see a few bumps that won't go away. if i sand too much it will look worst.
then i will work my way up with the sand paper, 180, 280, 400, 600, 800, 1000/1200 and then buffing. at 600 it should start to shine. that's why it takes a lot of time.

glass channel part (resized).JPG

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

this week.
a few metal parts, let's start with the door frame and the glass channel support in the back.
here's a before pic.

Oh boy.....everyone get your sun glasses out, the beat-be-buffin.

#172 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh boy.....everyone get your sun glasses out, the beat-be-buffin.

i'd go with this if i we're you.

paul's mask (resized).jpg

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

I replicated off an original cover - check out the other pictures on shapeways as it has sections cut out on the other side for switches

I see all the cutouts but what I don't see in any of the pictures is the tab inside that actuates the switch. I've attached a picture of a good one (on the right) from my Blackout and one on the right someone sent me but has the tab broken so it can't activate the switch to give credits. I don't see that tab and if it isn't there then it won't be able to add credits. Are there other pictures on shapeways with the tab that I'm not seeing?

IMG_0800 (resized).JPG

#175 1 year ago

I see all the cutouts but what I don't see in any of the pictures is the tab inside that actuates the switch. I've attached a picture of a good one (on the right) from my Blackout and one on the right someone sent me but has the tab broken so it can't activate the switch to give credits. I don't see that tab and if it isn't there then it won't be able to add credits. Are there other pictures on shapeways with the tab that I'm not seeing?

yes mine does not have the internal tabs, see the attached screen shot, BUT I can create another version for you if you can give me 3 accurate measurements:
A - tall thin face with slot to inside face of the internal tab
B - height of the tab
C - thickness of the tab

and I can add to the design to create a CREDIT VERSION for you and others

switchcover inside view (resized).png

#176 1 year ago

I'd be in for one of those with the tab as well.

#177 1 year ago

It work be good to have both versions available. I'll see if I can get accurate measurements of that tab so you can add that version too.

#178 1 year ago

It work be good to have both versions available. I'll see if I can get accurate measurements of that tab so you can add that version too.

That would be good and would only take a few minutes to create the 2nd version

Also sorry beatmaster for taking over your thread

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

Also sorry beatmaster for taking over your thread

no problem Jady, it's all good for pinball.

#180 1 year ago

glass channel support.
sand paper up to 1000 before buffing, that alone took 2 1/2 hours.

FP glass channel support (before buffing) (resized).JPG

#181 1 year ago

and it's done. a few dents on the left side, nothing i can do, not perfect but much much better, at least it's shiny and clean.

FP glass channel support (done)2 (resized).JPG

FP glass channel support (done) (resized).JPG

#182 1 year ago

That's about the nicest one I have seen. Usually the plating is all f'ed.

#183 1 year ago

That's impressive. I just chrome-wrapped mine.

#184 1 year ago

i started to work on the door frame, 3 pieces left the one on the door is already done.
one piece is done, 2 to go and the bolts.

since the door frame is not as bad i changed a few steps and the result is incredible. really happy with the result.

pics, left one is done, right one is the original and a little man cave reflection.

old vs new (resized).JPG
man cave reflection (resized).JPG

#185 1 year ago
Quoted from Travish:

That's about the nicest one I have seen. Usually the plating is all f'ed.

thanks, well we don't see much of it since there is a glass channel on top of it but i like to know that it's clean.

Quoted from La_Porta:

That's impressive. I just chrome-wrapped mine.

thanks, i'm curious to see the result.

#187 1 year ago

great work, looks very impressive

#188 1 year ago

Door frame and bolts = done.
i like the result.

FP Door Frame and bolts (done) (resized).JPG

FP door frame bolts (resized).JPG

#189 1 year ago

next part... this mutherfucker.... oh man won't be easy.

FP lockdown bar reciever (resized).JPG

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

I'll believe that one when I see it.

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll believe that one when I see it.

don't know if it's tomorrow but surely in the next few days and won't be easy.
this is got to be one of the worst lockdown bar receiver i'll be working on, won't be perfect for sure.

#193 1 year ago

The rust pitting looks really deep and getting into those tight corners is gonna be crazy nuts.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

That's the crap I am most worried about dealing with.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

don't know if it's tomorrow but surely in the next few days and won't be easy.
this is got to be one of the worst lockdown bar receiver i'll be working on, won't be perfect for sure.

Can you find someone in the area with a bead/media blaster? That part may be best if you can get the rust off that way.

#196 1 year ago

Can you find someone in the area with a bead/media blaster? That part may be best if you can get the rust off that way.

Exactly but you'll still have to sand the hell out of it to get the rest of the metal down to the level of the pits and then sand it all to get everything down to the bottom of the pits. I just wonder if it will work with that much metal taken off. Bobs about to find out.

#197 1 year ago

i could go sand blast but won't be able to go under the moving part, the way this one is made there's a moving part that can't be remove.
i could go evaporust but still won't remove the pits.

so right now i'm thinking brush wheel, sanding..... uhhh sanding and sanding and if i get really mad...... paint.

#198 1 year ago

It's gonna be a real test of you skills Bob.

#199 1 year ago

That looks incredible! Nice job!

So you basically have highly polished raw steel and stainless steel. Are you putting something on them to prevent rusting/oxidation?

For the lockdown bar, I would go Evaporust. It will get into ALL the nooks and crannies and only takes 24 hours. Then sanding it as smooth as you want will be a bit easier without having to worry about the spots you can't reach with sandpaper or wire wheel.

#200 1 year ago

On the metal I polished (ramps, lane guides, etc) I just put a good coat of wax on them. Should be as hydrophobic as anything else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 104.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
There are 383 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside