(Topic ID: 151401)

Firepower Restoration (it has begun, back in action)

By beatmaster

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 498 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by beatmaster
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

red shooter rod (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpg
new backglass wires (resized).jpg
new backglass wires2 (resized).jpg
new backglass installed (resized).jpg
new vs old back (resized).jpg
new vs old front (resized).jpg
operator buttons (resized).jpg
left coin chute switch (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on2 (resized).jpg
it's alive lights on  (resized).jpg
it's alive lights off (resized).jpg
There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
#451 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

rebuilding pop bumpers.
translucent body and cap or white or white body with translucent cap?
i like all of them. leds will look crazy with all translucent but is it overkill?
*note. i don't have new pop bumper caps like the original.

I went with white wafers, white bodies and coloured caps with matching LED centres on my FP.

I went with clear wafers, clear bodies and coloured caps with matching LED rings on my Space Shuttle. I did not use a socket in these pops. I ran the wires from the rings right through the pop bodies and wired them right into the harness under the playfield. If they burn out, it will be difficult to replace but I will deal with that if it happens.

SS_pops_posts (resized).jpgSS_pops_posts (resized).jpg

shuttlepops (resized).jpgshuttlepops (resized).jpg

If they weren't already done, I would have done the same thing to my FP that I did with my SS. They look really good to me.

#452 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I went with white wafers, white bodies and coloured caps with matching LED centres on my FP.

I went with clear wafers, clear bodies and coloured caps with matching LED rings on my Space Shuttle. I did not use a socket in these pops. I ran the wires from the rings right through the pop bodies and wired them right into the harness under the playfield. If they burn out, it will be difficult to replace but I will deal with that if it happens.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
If they weren't already done, I would have done the same thing to my FP that I did with my SS. They look really good to me.

I did the same thing for firepower. white wafers, white body and clear caps, if i ever get my hands on new copies of the original caps i'll be fine.
when i did my space shuttle restoration i almost did the same thing except for white wafers.

space shuttle bumper caps (resized).jpgspace shuttle bumper caps (resized).jpg
#453 3 years ago

Personally, for me, I'd go with red translucent bodies and the original caps. The translucent body puts out a nice glow around the pop bumper from the led. Or clear body with coloured led does the same thing.

#454 3 years ago

call me crazy lol, i said is was gonna do it.

but very practical to adjust the switches.
Fit perfectly, nice space under the apron and fit super nice when the PF is down.
a little protector behind the shooter housing.

everything seems to be ok, double checking and turning the switch "on" this weekend.

playfield support (resized).jpgplayfield support (resized).jpgshooter housing cabinet protection (resized).jpgshooter housing cabinet protection (resized).jpg
#455 3 years ago

it's alive!!!

i didn't know what was going to happen.
played a few games, turns out i have a row of switches that doesn't work, will try to find where the problem is tomorrow.
other than that everything is fine.

also wired the flipper buttons light up (red) to the coin door, 2 flexible leds on a small board, very well done.
this is something i got about 6-7 years ago, also work on 12 volts. i was going to tap in the splitter board but realized the resistance on the small board gets way to hot, so i went with 6.3 volts in the coin door. (see pictures for the small board).
also led strip under the apron. that's the old apron, will re-paint with new stickers.

backglass (from planetary pinball, no idea what the colors will look like) is not changed yet, need to find a new chrome lift trim or i remove this one and try to polish it.

got another shooter rod on his way, same thing but chrome red to go with the flipper bats.
also thinking about a new plastic with sticker somewhere around the shooter lane.

pics.
flipper button light up (resized).jpgflipper button light up (resized).jpgflipper button light up2 (resized).jpgflipper button light up2 (resized).jpgit's alive lights off (resized).jpgit's alive lights off (resized).jpgit's alive lights off2 (resized).jpgit's alive lights off2 (resized).jpgit's alive lights on  (resized).jpgit's alive lights on (resized).jpgit's alive lights on2 (resized).jpgit's alive lights on2 (resized).jpg

#456 3 years ago

Looks so good man

#457 3 years ago

Sweet.

#458 3 years ago

Wow - looks stunning. Well done!!

#459 3 years ago

Love the cabinet art.

#460 3 years ago

so took me a few days to figure out where was the problem.
even if i double checked everything twice before i started the game.

so an entire row didn't work. rollrover star, the upper "r" lane, right kicker, etc.... and left coin chute.

yellow cap was already installed on top of the switch (left switch) in the coin door, didn't think to look at it.
turn's out, one of the blade from the switch was touching the spring and since the door is grounded, giving me a short.
small detail but is was the problem.

i used a file to remove just enough so it doesn't touch.
game work perfectly, no issue, plays like a million buck.
and honestly not because it's my game, i played a few firepower, best so far. i know there's probably better out there.

i wish my brother in law would have done a better job when i asked him to take care of the lines around the inserts, because he was going to clear the cab after the airbrush (he also forgot the numbers on the inserts but it's pretty obvious what you have to do since it's in front of the targets but can't say the same about the bonus multipliers)
but the clear job is nice, playfield is nice and flat, so yeah i can live with that, i waited long enough.
to me, the way i look at it, the playfied is a very very nice player game, above average.

flippers are nice and strong.
The eos switch really needs to be as close as possible so it only opens up at the end of the stroke.
most will go with 1/8, i went with almost, if not 1/16. i can hit that upper right hole easily.

also found similar operator buttons, i have one with the top broken (left side).
i also got an interlock switch a while ago (few years) but can't find it, so i'll have to order another one, the old one for now.

i have a few more things coming up.

left coin chute switch (resized).jpgleft coin chute switch (resized).jpgoperator buttons (resized).jpgoperator buttons (resized).jpg

#461 3 years ago

oh and i'd like to thank everyone following this, i know some of you waited a long time for updates but i also waited for almost 3 years to get my cab and playfield back. not much i could have done, since it's family.....
something i normally do in 6 months - one year.

few things i want do to, mods and fixes, i'll try to update as much as i can.

thanks, bob.

#462 3 years ago

Yeah drop targets mods

#463 3 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Yeah drop targets mods

lol, té malade!!! mais pas impossible.

#464 3 years ago

new backglass VS old.

back and front. right away you can see a difference (not in a good way).

new vs old back (resized).jpgnew vs old back (resized).jpgnew vs old front (resized).jpgnew vs old front (resized).jpg

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

new backglass VS old.
[quoted image][quoted image]

This project looks great. What a journey.
The replacement backglass. Is dull and lifeless compared to the original. Colors have no pop at all on the repro in my eye.

#466 3 years ago

now installed.

am i the only one seeing wires behind the glass? is it like that on the original? i'm asking because i just realized that.
pigmentation is not the best, colors are not rich, crisp, i can see trough the backglass, wires and light (almost the light socket).
mirror is the worst part, it's kind of foggy, not clear, not sharp like a real mirror and a lot of imperfections. the old one, the mirror look much better.

this was from planetary pinball.
will i buy another one, nope. should you, nope!

Anyone got one from CPR, i think they did one not too long ago, difference?

honestly i might put the old one back on.

you'd be the judge.
new backglass installed (resized).jpgnew backglass installed (resized).jpgnew backglass wires (resized).jpgnew backglass wires (resized).jpgnew backglass wires2 (resized).jpgnew backglass wires2 (resized).jpg

#467 3 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

This project looks great. What a journey.
The replacement backglass. Is dull and lifeless compared to the original. Colors have no pop at all on the repro in my eye.

you are faster than me, i was going to say the same thing!!!

and thanks for the kind words.

#468 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

I bought the CPR back glass on 2/14. I haven’t gotten any communication since the receipt of payment. I’m 3 years in the hobby and still confused on when you’re allowed to ask when something you bought will be shipped. I was thinking about emailing CPR tomorrow to ask about when they’ll give me a tracking number.

That’s disappointing about the planetary repo being such poor quality

#469 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I bought the CPR back glass on 2/14. I haven’t gotten any communication since the receipt of payment. I’m 3 years in the hobby and still confused on when you’re allowed to ask when something you bought will be shipped. I was thinking about emailing CPR tomorrow to ask about when they’ll give me a tracking number.

just heard they stopped selling it because they don't have the license/authorization. planetary does, they own it.
went to the cpr website.... it's gone!

i bought a few from cpr, normally a week or two before shipping, with tracking number.

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

just heard they stopped selling it because they don't have the license/authorization. planetary does, they own it.
went to the cpr website.... it's gone!
i bought a few from cpr, normally a week or two before shipping, with tracking number.

CPR ones were sold out in a day - hopefully they do some more (assuming the quality is good)

#471 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

CPR ones were sold out in a day - hopefully they do some more (assuming the quality is good)

Yeah they weren't sold out...they had to pull them ..got a call from CPR a few days later advising me of the issue with Rick from Planetary. And now that the Planetary one sucks ....this really sucks...

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Yeah they weren't sold out...they had to pull them ..got a call from CPR a few days later advising me of the issue with Rick from Planetary. And now that the Planetary one sucks ....this really sucks...

Oh that does suck - I really dislike poor quality replacements

#473 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So the only one available now is that other version that isn't as good? Hope they can work it out and find a way to make the good versions available.

#474 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Have you checked with CPR as to whether you are still receiving the backglass in light of the above?

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Have you checked with CPR as to whether you are still receiving the backglass in light of the above?

Yeah Kevin from CPR called me today to explain. Had to issue me a refund. The Firepower title backglass is Planetary’s. No bad blood, it’s just that the license is still with planetary so CPR had to pull it.

#476 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

it's alive!!!
i didn't know what was going to happen.
played a few games, turns out i have a row of switches that doesn't work, will try to find where the problem is tomorrow.
other than that everything is fine.
also wired the flipper buttons light up (red) to the coin door, 2 flexible leds on a small board, very well done.
this is something i got about 6-7 years ago, also work on 12 volts. i was going to tap in the splitter board but realized the resistance on the small board gets way to hot, so i went with 6.3 volts in the coin door. (see pictures for the small board).
also led strip under the apron. that's the old apron, will re-paint with new stickers.
backglass (from planetary pinball, no idea what the colors will look like) is not changed yet, need to find a new chrome lift trim or i remove this one and try to polish it.
got another shooter rod on his way, same thing but chrome red to go with the flipper bats.
also thinking about a new plastic with sticker somewhere around the shooter lane.
pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OUTSTANDING! But no shooter housing light-up?

#477 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

So the only one available now is that other version that isn't as good? Hope they can work it out and find a way to make the good versions available.

Last time I checked, Mayfair still had some of their older repros that didn't have the fade in color from the Firepower letters. I think those were supposed to be good quality other than the differences in the letter fade.

And I thought some people had success in returning some of the PPS with poor mirroring? I could have sworn I read that in a thread somewhere on Pinside.

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

new backglass VS old.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Man how could they screw up the red and oranges that bad?

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah Kevin from CPR called me today to explain. Had to issue me a refund. The Firepower title backglass is Planetary’s. No bad blood, it’s just that the license is still with planetary so CPR had to pull it.

Disappointing (but understandable), I would have liked to see how good the CPR version was. Fingers crossed they will be able to work something out.

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

now installed.
am i the only one seeing wires behind the glass? is it like that on the original? i'm asking because i just realized that.
pigmentation is not the best, colors are not rich, crisp, i can see trough the backglass, wires and light (almost the light socket).
mirror is the worst part, it's kind of foggy, not clear, not sharp like a real mirror and a lot of imperfections. the old one, the mirror look much better.
this was from planetary pinball.
will i buy another one, nope. should you, nope!
honestly i might put the old one back on.
you'd be the judge.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That would piss me off, can you return it.

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Last time I checked, Mayfair still had some of their older repros that didn't have the fade in color from the Firepower letters. I think those were supposed to be good quality other than the differences in the letter fade.
And I thought some people had success in returning some of the PPS with poor mirroring? I could have sworn I read that in a thread somewhere on Pinside.

i heard Mayfair version was pretty decent.

yeah, i received another one from them (i was one of those complaining about it, and with reason) because mirror was very bad, even this one is not perfect but it's night and day compare to the first one.

#482 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yeah, i received another one from them (i was one of those complaining about it, and with reason) because mirror was very bad, even this one is not perfect but it's night and day compare to the first one.

So the pics were of the first one you received? Any chance you could post some pics of the second one next to the original for a comparison?

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

So the pics were of the first one you received? Any chance you could post some pics of the second one next to the original for a comparison?

no that's the second one.
that was like 2 years ago when they sent me the second one.

#484 3 years ago

I have the Firepower and Blackout back glasses from Planetary. Both are pretty bad and I would not suggest you purchase one unless your original is 50% flaked off or completely missing.

I didn't have a problem with the mirroring on mine. The main problem is the color saturation (black and red are virtually transparent for example) and the colors are off (red on on FP is horrible).

#485 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I have the Firepower and Blackout back glasses from Planetary. Both are pretty bad and I would not suggest you purchase one unless your original is 50% flaked off or completely missing.
I didn't have a problem with the mirroring on mine. The main problem is the color saturation (black and red are virtually transparent for example) and the colors are off (red on on FP is horrible).

Thanks for the heads up

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

I have the one from Mayfair. I've had it for a few years now. No issues, it looks good to me. I can post pictures of it if anyone wants to have a look. If I take pictures of it with the game on, it never looks the same. I do have some coloured LEDs in the back box but I tried not to go overboard so that will have an effect on the colour.

I'm in Canada and it was not cheap to get it here. I think it ran me almost $500 CDN and that was with a pickup at the Allentown pinball show in the US. The exchange rate wasn't very good at the time...

#487 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I have the one from Mayfair. I've had it for a few years now. No issues, it looks good to me. I can post pictures of it if anyone wants to have a look. If I take pictures of it with the game on, it never looks the same. I do have some coloured LEDs in the back box but I tried not to go overboard so that will have an effect on the colour.
I'm in Canada and it was not cheap to get it here. I think it ran me almost $500 CDN and that was with a pickup at the Allentown pinball show in the US. The exchange rate wasn't very good at the time...

If you can post some pics of it please - maybe both with game on and game off

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

If you can post some pics of it please - maybe both with game on and game off

Not sure if this helps or makes people want to yell at me for the coloured LEDs! Pictures with the game on just never seem to look good, especially when using the camera on my phone. The spotting from the bulbs looks much worse than it actually is in reality. If someone wants better pics, let me know and I'll pull out the DSLR and see what I can do...

IMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpgIMG_20210304_1114377 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpgIMG_20210304_1115218 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpgIMG_20210304_1115514 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpgIMG_20210304_1116166 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpgIMG_20210304_1117455 (resized).jpg

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Not sure if this helps or makes people want to yell at me for the coloured LEDs! Pictures with the game on just never seem to look good, especially when using the camera on my phone. The spotting from the bulbs looks much worse than it actually is in reality. If someone wants better pics, let me know and I'll pull out the DSLR and see what I can do...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

thanks for the pics.

right away i can see your mirror looks better.
the white coat on the back is what makes the difference, can't see the wires behind the glass when the game is on.

better than mine in that regard for sure.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and post them - looks pretty damn good to me

#491 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

So are these still available ?

#492 3 years ago

red shooter rod, a little darker in person.

red shooter rod (resized).jpgred shooter rod (resized).jpg
#493 3 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

So are these still available ?

Try Steve at Mayfair Amusements - http://www.mayfairamusement.com/.

You can email him at [email protected].

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Try Steve at Mayfair Amusements - http://www.mayfairamusement.com/.
You can email him at [email protected].

Thanks!

6 months later
#495 2 years ago

Any updates with this project?

#496 2 years ago

i don't really work on pinball project in the summer, too many things to do.

but i'll get back to it, eventually.

2 weeks later
#497 2 years ago

You ever think of scanning the artwork on your cabinet and trying to have decals made of it? Man I would be interested!

#498 2 years ago
Quoted from rdrapeau3171:

You ever think of scanning the artwork on your cabinet and trying to have decals made of it? Man I would be interested!

no and i don't have what it takes to make it happen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 498 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-it-has-begun/page/10?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.