By beatmaster

2 years ago

Stats

• 316 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tilt panel (painted) (resized).JPG
more metal parts (done) (resized).JPG
more metal parts (done2) (resized).jpg
tilt panel on primer (resized).JPG
FP planet with spaceships (resized).jpg
metal parts (resized).JPG
tilt bob:roll tilt panel (before) (resized).JPG
Firepower Instructions card (final) (resized).jpg
Firepower free play card (final) (resized).jpg
Speaker decal 2 (resized).JPG
Speaker decal (resized).JPG
Firepower Speaker decal2 (resized).jpg
Firepower Speaker decal (resized).jpg
FP spaceship all stencils done (resized).jpg
FP new cabinet speaker (resized).JPG
Fp Spaceship with green (resized).jpg

There are 316 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 2 years ago

Another project! firepower. (what i've i done?)

what i want to do is a great player game.
PF is in bad shape and none are available at a reasonable price, almost every insert are cupped, typical for a firepower.

my goal is to finish the playfield before the end of spring (i did say hope, crossing fingers).
so, i'm going to strip the playfield.
clean the surface.
remove and change the inserts (found almost everyone of them)
touch the colours.
and clear the playfield to a nice and smooth finish (automotive clear).

when that is done, i will do the cabinet.

so here's a picture of the bad boy (playfield), looks worst in person lol

it has begun, bob.

Firepower_before_(resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Other than the cupping of the inserts, the playfield looks pretty decent in that picture actually. Well, and the wicked yellow mylar... Good luck with the restore!

#3 2 years ago

I'm doing a similar restore. To remove the mylar around the slings and pops use a heat gun on low setting.

Please keep us informed how things go.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from mwiz:

I'm doing a similar restore. To remove the mylar around the slings and pops use a heat gun on low setting.
Please keep us informed how things go.

yup, heat gun was what i was thinking about.

Quoted from setzkor:
Other than the cupping of the inserts, the playfield looks pretty decent in that picture actually. Well, and the wicked yellow mylar... Good luck with the restore!

i will take some close up. you'll see what i mean.

#5 2 years ago

so,
removed everything from the top side.
the mylar around the pops and slingshots, everything went fine except one of the pop, mylar was different and thick.
removed almost every inserts i want to change (7 left, round ones).
i'm going to keep the white ones because they are not too bad and the numbers are still perfect. going to level them with clear anyway.

tomorrow i will remove the rest of the inserts, the glue and clean everything i can without removing too much paint (crossing fingers).

a few pics.

bob.

Firepower_old_inserts_(resized).JPG

firepower_PF1_(resized).jpg

firepower_PF2_(resized).JPG

firepower_PF3_(resized).JPG

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

so,
removed everything from the top side.
the mylar around the pops and slingshots, everything went fine except one of the pop, mylar was different and thick.
removed almost every inserts i want to change (7 left, round ones).
i'm going to keep the white ones because they are not too bad and the numbers are still perfect. going to level them with clear anyway.
tomorrow i will remove the rest of the inserts, the glue and clean everything i can without removing too much paint (crossing fingers).
a few pics.

bob.
Firepower_old_inserts_(resized).JPGfirepower_PF1_(resized).jpgfirepower_PF2_(resized).JPGfirepower_PF3_(resized).JPG

I just did this on my Blackout. Removed the mylar with hair dryer/Goo Gone (citrus-based) and careful use of putty knife. All the inserts were warped, sunken/cupped and loose. After removal, I flattened the worst ones which were the triangles by sanding on a flat surface up to 800 grit. This will remove the overlapping keylines on the edges, so then one has to decide how to proceed once installed in the field with super glue. (also cleaned up any old glue on edges). There may be insert decals for Firepower, but I didn't look for my Blackout. I ended up just doing some touch ups where needed. Avoiding the text inserts. (I fill those later as part of the clear coat process). Look forward to more updates on this thread!

(oh and those threaded nails that mount the pop brackets can be removed easily to have a smooth surface to level any clear coating. Just tap out from the back)

#7 2 years ago

Hey Bob,

I will be watching your restore very closely! You did such an awesome job on your Space Shuttle. My FP has a new CPR playfield and a new backglass and is fully LED so I don't have too much left to do. I'm sure you will come up with some interesting stuff!

Good luck!

Dino Z.

#8 2 years ago

Yes, no pressure at all after that Space Shuttle INSANITY!

#9 2 years ago

Classic arcades sells a decal set for firepower. They are fairly thick so not sure if you want to go that way.

Good luck with the restore! FP is a great game...

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Classic arcades sells a decal set for firepower. They are fairly thick so not sure if you want to go that way.
Good luck with the restore! FP is a great game...

last time i bought something for classic arcade was the stencil for space shuttle and it was a f*(&&?$&$#@ pita to install.

i'd be curious to see what the decals for firepower looks like when installed, if anybody did that, i'd like to see it

Quoted from xeneize:

Yes, no pressure at all after that Space Shuttle INSANITY!

space shuttle was one crazy project but well worth it, man it looks and play great!
not sure i'll go this route with firepower, if i'm going to clear the cabinet and all but yes i will have a few special things.
i've always liked firepower, just want to have a good player game but knowing myself... i'll probably go insane ... again

#11 2 years ago

Well, your Space Shuttle restore actually inspired me to up my game with my FP restoration which is currently under way. I actually sourced a CPR deck, but need to clear it before I can start swapping over. If you run your finger over the inserts, you can slightly feel them, and after what I had to go through to get that playfield, I want it to last FOREVER.

I don't think I ever commented on your Shuttle thread, but that thing is just over the top, I imagine it's the nicest one on the planet!

Looking forward to what you do with this one, Beatmaster!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Well, your Space Shuttle restore actually inspired me to up my game with my FP restoration which is currently under way. I actually sourced a CPR deck, but need to clear it before I can start swapping over. If you run your finger over the inserts, you can slightly feel them, and after what I had to go through to get that playfield, I want it to last FOREVER.
I don't think I ever commented on your Shuttle thread, but that thing is just over the top, I imagine it's the nicest one on the planet!
Looking forward to what you do with this one, Beatmaster!

thanks, here's a reminder

space_shuttle_done!_(resized).jpg

#13 2 years ago

last night i removed the rest of the inserts.
cleaned the PF.
used a dremel inside every round holes to remove the glue, now it's clean and the new inserts fit perfectly.

now that most inserts are out i might do some touch ups before installing them.
inserts will be glue in place with 2 part epoxy, glue will be apply inside the hole (not the side) and not on the inserts so when you push the insert in glue won't come out on each side.

FP_Inserts_removed_(resized).jpg

FP_inserts_holes_(resized).JPG

Fp_inserts_holes2_(resized).JPG

#14 2 years ago

rest of the machine is sitting in the other corner.

lockdown bar assembly look really bad, that's gonna take some time

FP_Cab_(resized).JPG

FP_Lockdown_bar_Assy_(resized).JPG

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

last time i bought something for classic arcade was the stencil for space shuttle and it was a f*(&&?$&$#@ pita to install.
i'd be curious to see what the decals for firepower looks like when installed, if anybody did that, i'd like to see it

I bought the "approved" decals for my FP restore... but wish I didn't. The decals look like garbage and I will not be using them. I plan on making my own and use clear waterslide laser printer paper.

#16 2 years ago

Skip their pop bumper caps too. Garbage.

#17 2 years ago

I have a PDF of the playfield decals if anyone needs them. Not sure how close they are to the originals. PM me with an email address if you want me to send them to you.

Dino Z.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I have a PDF of the playfield decals if anyone needs them. Not sure how close they are to the originals. PM me with an email address if you want me to send them to you.
Dino Z.

are you talking about the inserts?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

are you talking about the inserts?

Yup, the inserts. Sorry for not being clear. Let me know if you want them.

Dino Z.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Yup, the inserts. Sorry for not being clear. Let me know if you want them.
Dino Z.

yes i do have the pdf, thanks.

#21 2 years ago

Inserts being cupped is definitely a problem - but in no way was that a bad condition firepower playfield artwise. Many had the entire planet blown out. Good luck with the project - should be great when complete.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Inserts being cupped is definitely a problem - but in no way was that a bad condition firepower playfield artwise. Many had the entire planet blown out. Good luck with the project - should be great when complete.

you are right, most are in pretty bad shape, this one is not too bad, should come out nice, not perfect but nice, as long as it plays nice and smooth i'll be happy.

#23 2 years ago

installed 4 round inserts (green x multiplicators) last night to give me an idea, went well, now they are flush.

almost done with the black colour.
things to do;
sand the shooter lane.
red color.
planet and ship colours.
and airbrush most of the white.

Firepower_PF_(black)_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#24 2 years ago

Red and white is done.
tomorrow i'm going to install the remaining inserts.

i still have a few touch ups here and there and the planet.
i'll probably do the planet and clear the playfield, it will be easier to do the final touch ups.

firepower_white:red_done_(resized).jpg

#25 2 years ago

Oh I'm definitely keeping an eye on this resto!!! After what you did with the Space Shuttle I feel like this will be a must see.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Red and white is done.
tomorrow i'm going to install the remaining inserts.
i still have a few touch ups here and there and the planet.
i'll probably do the planet and clear the playfield, it will be easier to do the final touch ups.

firepower_white:red_done_(resized).jpg

Is it on purpose that you do the red a little darker?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

This isn't FP obviously, but I bought the entire Space Shuttle decal set from Classic arcade on Ebay. I am 100% happy with them. They are thin, but not as thin as waterslides and it took one light mist coat, and four heavy coats to level them out. The colors are precise, material feels good, and the adhesive is super sticky. I had only one issue, my sheet was missing one LOCK decal. I messaged Jeff and he sent me a whole new decal sheet at no charge. I have read the numerous past threads from people that have had issues with him, but I couldn't find a playfield anywhere and grew tired of waiting so him being the only choice anywhere to bring my field back I just pulled the trigger. I also bought a set of his repro pop bumper caps for this. I recommend buying from him on EBay so that you have the Paypal and Ebay protection to back you.

IMG_20160212_230246_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160212_230335_1_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160215_222358_1_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160213_230353_1_(resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Is it on purpose that you do the red a little darker?

yep but it's not that darker in person.

i have 2 choice of inserts for that area, orange (what cpr did on their version) or the original red, i'll go with red.

*edited* picture*
to me red looks better.

red:orange_inserts_(resized).jpg

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i have 2 choice of inserts for that area, orange (what cpr did on their version) or the original red, i'll go with red.

Are you talking about the 6 arrows that point at the stand up targets? I'm pretty sure that the two original playfields I've had in my possession both had orange inserts in them. My CPR playfield was one of last ones they produced and they ran out of orange inserts so mine are clear. It isn't a big deal as I can put whatever colour bulbs I want in them and they still look good!

Dino Z.

#30 2 years ago

I just recently acquired a Firepower with the playfield in about the same shape with the cupped inserts as well. I'm new to the forums, (and owning/maintaining a personal machine, as well) and I'll definitely keep an eye on your progress! Looks promising! Your back-glass looks to be in a lot better shape than mine. I'm hoping I'll find some tips to deal with it. Like dzorbas mentioned, my machine also has the orange inserts leading up to the standup targets. I'll see if I don't have the serial number written down somewhere.

Good luck and thanks for posting all this!

#31 2 years ago

looks good.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Are you talking about the 6 arrows that point at the stand up targets? I'm pretty sure that the two original playfields I've had in my possession both had orange inserts in them. My CPR playfield was one of last ones they produced and they ran out of orange inserts so mine are clear. It isn't a big deal as I can put whatever colour bulbs I want in them and they still look good!
Dino Z.

the ones i removed were red. see picture i posted before.

i think it's a matter of taste i guess. too late now, it's glued in.

#33 2 years ago

Didn't mean to be critical in any way, the red looks good as well. I may throw red bulbs in and see how mine looks. I used orange only because the originals were orange. I'm not one for worrying too much about original state. I've swapped out bulbs, bumper caps, I've added lights to the lock holes, I'm using lit flipper buttons, etc.

I want the game to look good to me and play well, that's all. And after seeing what you did with your Space Shuttle I trust you will do a great job on FP!

fp1_(resized).jpg

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

Didn't mean to be critical in any way, the red looks good as well. I may throw red bulbs in and see how mine looks. I used orange only because the originals were orange. I'm not one for worrying too much about original state. I've swapped out bulbs, bumper caps, I've added lights to the lock holes, I'm using lit flipper buttons, etc.
I want the game to look good to me and play well, that's all. And after seeing what you did with your Space Shuttle I trust you will do a great job on FP!
fp1_(resized).jpg

ahh, don't worry i didn't took it the wrong way, it's all good.
i'm thinking the same way with this game, as long as it play great, i'm happy.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yep but it's not that darker in person.

Cool, are you using Createx? I think it looks good.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Cool, are you using Createx? I think it looks good.

yes i do.

#37 2 years ago

beatmaster (or anyone), I've got a question: How can you tell if a playfield still has mylar on it? I'm wondering if mine has already been stripped bare. The person I got this particular machine from doesn't know it's full history, and I'm only seeing a couple areas that have an overlay of a layer of clear plastic on them. Around the bumpers above the flippers, and around the poppers. Like pieces that were intentionally placed there. They are actually proud of the playfield surface just slightly and somewhat thick. The rest of the board seems like it's bare, just the painted surface. I can't imagine it's always been like this otherwise the artwork would've been practically worn off by now, I'd think, just from normal play.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm thinking I'd like to do the same thing you are, but I don't want to cause more harm than good by starting off wrong.

Thanks and attached is a pic of the upper playfield. Hope it's big enough. If you zoom in around the poppers, you can just make out the circular plastic coating I'm talking about.

IMG_0801_(resized).JPG

#38 2 years ago

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveP:

How can you tell if a playfield still has mylar on it? I'm wondering if mine has already been stripped bare.

That is mylar around the pop bumpers. And it sounds like you have it in front of the the slingshots as well, just above the flippers. These are the most common wear areas because of the force of the ball after it comes off the slings or bumpers. I've not seen any pictures of a Firepower playfield completely covered in mylar, only the ares where you have it.

#40 2 years ago

My FP is covered from the targets down to the flippers

#41 2 years ago

from that picture, it looks like you have mylar around the pop, i'd be curious to see the lower part of the playfield i'm guessing like the others said you probably have mylar in front of the slingshots.

the ones around the pops doesn't look too bad, i wouldn't be concern about those. a lot of actions around that area, wouldn't remove those, unless you want to clear the playfield.

#42 2 years ago

all inserts are back/glued in place.
touch ups on the planet done.

unfortunately, the area in front of the left slingshot will stay like that, dirt is there permanently and man what a pita it is to match dirt, loll.
overall i'm happy with the result and it's not final.

i'm going to get the playfield ready this weekend for clear, probably on tuesday, and bring it back home for final touch up and decals over the inserts.

touch_ups:inserts_(resized).jpg

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

from that picture, it looks like you have mylar around the pop, i'd be curious to see the lower part of the playfield i'm guessing like the others said you probably have mylar in front of the slingshots.
the ones around the pops doesn't look too bad, i wouldn't be concern about those. a lot of actions around that area, wouldn't remove those, unless you want to clear the playfield.

You guys nailed it, I've got the mylar going on in front of the slingshots as well (wasn't sure what to call them earlier). I have a pic, it's attached, but it's a bit blurry and might be hard to make out (iPhone camera, argh!). But that's good to know. I just assumed game boards were completely mylar coated, and not just select areas. Makes sense from a cost standpoint, I guess.

At any rate, your restoration is looking extremely good. You're making me think I'd really like to do a touch-up on the art, and a full clear coat over the playfield. I'm assuming you're shopping out the clear coat to a local shop? I neither have the equipment nor the experience to do an automotive clear coat myself, but I think I have enough art experience to deal with the touch up as long as I take my time.

Just to be sure, was the Createx mentioned earlier the brand of paint you're using for touch ups?

Thanks and again, awesome looking work! The Space Shuttle restore was fan-tas-tic.

IMG_0802_(resized).JPG

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveP:

... I'm assuming you're shopping out the clear coat to a local shop? I neither have the equipment nor the experience to do an automotive clear coat myself, but I think I have enough art experience to deal with the touch up as long as I take my time.

well, i work in a body shop, part time now, it's enough for me and i'm too busy doing other things.

Quoted from DaveP:

Just to be sure, was the Createx mentioned earlier the brand of paint you're using for touch ups?
Thanks and again, awesome looking work! The Space Shuttle restore was fan-tas-tic.

IMG_0802_(resized).JPG

that's what we use, this is the basic kit.

createx-airbrush-colors_(resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago

since i'm not going to swap this, i made a wooden box for the playfield and sealed every hole.
hope i can prep (sand the shooter lane and under the apron) and clear the playfield tomorrow or tuesday.

boxed_playfield_(resized).JPG

#46 2 years ago

playfield was cleared yesterday, one first sticky coat and 2 good coats.
at least now the paint is sealed and i can finish my touch up.

it's back home now.
what i'm gonna do next is filled the cupped inserts and around the inserts with automotive clear using a pipette, let it dry, back to the garage, sand it down, clear, sand, repeat until it's flat.

first_coat_clear_(resized).JPG

first_coat_clear2_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#47 1 year ago

update,

still working on this. (and a lot of other things)
playfield was clear coated 3 times since my last post.
still doing some touch ups before the last coats of clear.

now i have to wait for my waterside decal to get here, couldn't find the ones i had in stock.
have to re size the file for the inserts, the one on the net is the wrong size (too small) and i want to make the outer line around the inserts little thicker to match the rest of the playfield.

i should have pictures soon (i hope).

1 week later
#48 1 year ago

This is amazing! I'd love to know how you painted the white and red areas, simple masking and airbrushing? Would love to see pics of that. How did you strip off whatever clear was on there and not ruin the rest of the paint? More details would be awesome.

#49 1 year ago

didn't strip the clear.
white and red was airbrushed and the rest was masked with frisket.
unfortunately i didn't took pictures of that process.

i did a first coat of clear to seal everything so i can finish my touch ups and level the inserts as much as possible.
right now i'm waiting for my waterside decal paper to get here. meanwhile i'm doing a few touch ups here and there, i also had one area that i had to re fix from a clear reaction, the clear went right under the original paint, almost done with that but it's going to leave a mark.

it will get another coat before the waterside decals.
after the waterslide decals over the inserts i will do the final clear coat.

i'm not in a hurry on this project, i have the cabinet and backbox to repaint but.... differently, unique.

#50 1 year ago

nice, always amazed at how beautiful colors playfields had originally, without 30 years of uv degradation and dirt.
going to mod it and put in the drop targets or stay with standups ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 7.00
Various Other Swag
Double Danger Pinball
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 316 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside