• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Stretch7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160615_175136_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Guru-420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So, as I have been fixing parts and replacing components, I keep getting closer on this POS, but never actually getting done. Long story short, I had Johnwartjr repair my driver board that was having issues. Got it back and had to replace the pop bumper solenoid that fried before sending out the board. Replaced it with the wrong one (did not have a diode) and wound up blowing the transistor again. Replaced Q1 and Q2, and replaced the solenoid with a proper replacement.

Now everything seems to be working (pop bumper and kickouts), but when I hit my flipper buttons the game will lock up and the displays go blank. Suspecting possibly a bad relay, but not sure and hoping for direction. I might just be missing something simple.

#3 8 years ago

Completely swapped out the kickout solenoid, with no better luck. How can I check the diodes on the flipper solenoids without cutting them off? Is there a way?

#5 8 years ago

They all seem to be complete, not broken. Issue came up after I replaced Q1 and Q2, as well as the pop bumper coil/diode. Prior to that, it played but the pop bumper stayed engaged. Re-measured Q2 and it reads OK. After watching the startup, it may not be directly related to the flippers. Seems to stay in attact OK, but once coils start to engage, it freaks out and dies right after the initial ball is kicked out.

#7 8 years ago

Instead of a bad diode, I think I may have a clue as to what the issue might be. Apparently, I REALLY need to pay better attention to part numbers. I didn't completely realize, but the original part number is SG-23-850DC, and the new coils are SA2-23-850DC. If I am looking closely at the coils next to each other, it almost looks like the new parts are different. The old part has the banded part of the diode going to the core wire and the non-banded is leading to the outside wire. On the new part, the banded side of the diode goes to the outside and the non-banded goes to the core wire.

Is it possible to just take the diode and reverse it and then reconnect? Would the part being "backwards" cause a similar issue to what I am experiencing?

2 months later
#8 7 years ago

Location of a random wire I found not connected in the back box and traced back to here. Where should the other end connect to?

20160615_175136_(resized).jpg20160615_175136_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from chucktee:

What you're pointing to is the board for the #89 lamps on the playfield. I also have to agree with the others that have said the your reset issue is likely being caused by a bad diode on one of your flipper coils. I'd suggest replacing both flipper coil diodes; they're cheap enough to replace and even if doesn't solve the problem it's a good thing to do anyway.

Thanks, I did get the correct coils, and have the boards being re-checked to verify functionality. I do plan on going through and replacing all of the coil diodes before re-powering up the machine once the boards return. Was just seeing if I could verify the wire I am pointing to above is just a ground, and where it should be connected properly.

#12 7 years ago

Yes, I put in nearly every screw. Glad to know I don't NEED that wire connected. Thanks! I'll need to wait for the boards to come back before I know much else.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Guru-420.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-reset-issue?tu=Guru-420 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.