(Topic ID: 255365)

Firepower - replace PCb idc PIN connectors with Trifurcon?

By Bc3

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

First off thank you for the help
I read through all 17 pages of Vids bulletproofing system 6, and first 25 pages of the FIREPOWER club.
I’m about to order parts but I don’t know if it’s is recommended to replace the IDC header pins and connectors with the Trifurcon style instead.

Are Trifurcon connectors a better way to bulletproof the connections? And whereas a few are missing the metal sliding caps are there some that are “must do”?

#2 4 years ago

Yes, they are. Always, replace IDC with Trifucon, unless there is a wire(s) which passes through the connector twice. In those cases, evaluate the integrity of the IDC to see if it's worth the effort to build a Y cable to leverage trifucon pins.

If my memory serves me correctly, there weren't many (if any) connectors with looped wires in FirePower.

Good luck with the upgrades!

#3 4 years ago

You can't use trifurcons with edge connectors. The pins in edge connectors need to be flat to mate with the metal fingers on the PCB.

For connector pins, yes, trifurcon pins are best to use with those since the pins will then touch on three sides instead of just one.

#4 4 years ago

I wouldn't necessarily go replacing all your connectors with trifurcon just because they're better though. But if you're planning to replace an IDC, I'd always use a trifurcon instead

#5 4 years ago

Forceflow.. are you saying you can’t replace with Trifurcon ? I was going to replace the pins as well so not sure what you mean by can’t- i assume you mean you can’t due to what pins are existing ? If you have a reference picture that would help me

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I wouldn't necessarily go replacing all your connectors with trifurcon just because they're better though. But if you're planning to replace an IDC, I'd always use a trifurcon instead

Totally agree - I wouldn't replace them for the sake of replacing them if they are pretty clean and working. If they are getting flakey or burnt then I'd change them.

#7 4 years ago

edge connectors DO NOT work with trifurcon.

Always use bifurcated for edge connectors.

And keep in mind the double-sided edge connectors use a different style pin than the single-sided.

Also, get a good pair of ratcheting crimpers. Stay away from the "pliers-style" crimpers. Buy ratcheting, and never look back.

#8 4 years ago

Header pins:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Trifurcon connector pins:

Note the wings on the connector pin. Those touch 3 of the sides of each square header pin.

PCB edge connector:

Connector pin:

Note that this has a flat surface so that it can mate with the flat surface of the contacts on the PCB edge connector.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Yes, they are. Always, replace IDC with Trifucon, unless there is a wire(s) which passes through the connector twice. In those cases, evaluate the integrity of the IDC to see if it's worth the effort to build a Y cable to leverage trifucon pins.

Another area you might not want to replace flat with trifurcon are bally displays - they are a PITA to try and get off later on. The 20 pin rectifier board connector, sure, you won't be taking that one off as much, but the displays.... nope. The current is so low anyway on the displays that I don't think any benefit from have the 3 mating surfaces (not that I've ever seen data on the trifurcon being able to handle more current, just a better mechanical connection.)

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Another area you might not want to replace flat with trifurcon are bally displays - they are a PITA to try and get off later on. The 20 pin rectifier board connector, sure, you won't be taking that one off as much, but the displays.... nope. The current is so low anyway on the displays that I don't think any benefit from have the 3 mating surfaces (not that I've ever seen data on the trifurcon being able to handle more current, just a better mechanical connection.)

I once redid an entire machine (Mata Hari I think) of 5 displays in Trifurcon. When I put the displays back in, thats when I realize "Oh shit, I hope I don't ever have to take these out!"

#11 4 years ago

The only edge connector pins on Firepower are the display pins. I may be wrong but I think the OP is talking about replacing the original IDC
connector terminal pins and housing with trifurcon connector pins and plastic housing. The connectors that go to the cpu,driver,power and sound boards.

#12 4 years ago

Yes and now i understand that i was calling them the wrong thing...definitely not edge connectors but pins. I am considering replacing the plastic housing with trifuricon connectors ...what are the more critical ones to replace the header pins on the board ?

#13 4 years ago

I repin most connectors on old system 6 and 7 when they come through. The game plays better when done. 40 years old is past life for these comnectors. Ive even seen system 11, wpc with failed connectors not related to battery alkaline.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-replace-idc-edge-connectors-with-trifurcon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.