You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3149 (resized).JPG
IMG_3154 (resized).PNG
IMG_3150 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Could someone please look at their firepower and check something for me? I am about to tear into the underside for my playfield replacement and would like to figure out this hack. The #6 standup target wires are disconnected and someone ran some solid purple wires from it to the left spinner and a points switch next to the right upper kick out. The wires/jumpers all appear to be white with purple stripe. I haven't checked continuity back to the connector yet but will.
I am pretty sure where the wires should go but don't want to assume. I wonder what they were trying to accomplish? The machine had a couple of cooked coils and no boards when I got it but don't think that has anything to do with the targets/purple wires.
Thanks

IMG_3150 (resized).JPGIMG_3150 (resized).JPG

IMG_3154 (resized).PNGIMG_3154 (resized).PNG

IMG_3149 (resized).JPGIMG_3149 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

While I could look at my Firepower, I don't think I need to do so.

All of the switches you refer to are, according to the switch matrix table, meant to be connected by a WHT-VIO wire. (Slam Tilt, Spinner, "6" Target, Upper Top Right Standup, Top "Power" Target, Playfield Tilt - see http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/856/Williams_1980_Firepower_Instruction_Booklet.pdf.)

So what I am guessing happened in the past was that there was some fault in the WHT-VIO wire on your machine (a short, an open, melted onto a coil, who knows) and the owner/operator decided it would be better to simply run a new wire. But s/he did not have any WHT-VIO wire so s/he used the nearest thing at hand being some solid purple wire.

So, IF I am correct, it is not a hack but a repair. If it were me, I would certainly replace the purple wire, with some WHT-VIO wire. Depending on whether I could be bothered, I might retest the existing wire on the playfield to try to work out the original problem. (I would probably be too curious to pass up the opportunity to waste my own time.) More efficient, in terms of time, would be simply to get some new WHT-VIO wire and run the string again AND remove as much of the old wire as is easy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-question-picture-included and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.