Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sys6backboxparts (resized).jpg
pokerino (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a Firepower and have a question for those who are much more knowledgeable than myself. The project I picked up had no boards or backbox transformer, so I opted for a Rottendog MPU327, an original power supply and a sound and speech board from Pinball PCB. The guy who sold me the FP project also included a Pokerino Backbox with a transformer in it, which he says would work. The question I have, what modifications/additions must I do to the the Pokerino transformer to make it work for my FP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Aside from a few special cases, the transformer for most System 3-6 games is interchangeable, so no modifications should be necessary. The transformer should have the part number 15B-6797 marked on it.

It is a good idea to add new fuses, as indicated here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#Additional_Fuses

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-945742

#3 6 years ago

Take a look at a pokerino Schematic, it should label what voltages should be coming out of the transformer where. Make sure they all match up when hooking it in and double check with a voltmeter before hooking any boards up

#4 6 years ago

I found a pic of the inside of a Pokerino and there are differences in the wiring detail. The transformer is the same but there are a few extra wires on a Firepower. I'm not that fluent in schematics lol, I'm more of a visual person first and then apply my learning to what needs to be measured when it comes to power ratings and connections.

pokerino (resized).jpgpokerino (resized).jpg

sys6backboxparts (resized).jpgsys6backboxparts (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Reading schematics is a must for determining what wires go where and what they connect to.

Pokerino doesn't have a sound board in the backbox, which is one significant difference.

#6 6 years ago

Off the top of my head, the Pokerino is missing the 5V supply fuses just below the power supply board. These fuse the AC going into the power board to protect the game when one of the diodes fails.

You should also fuse the lines going to the 2 bridge rectifiers below the PS board. This does not exist from the factory but will prevent a fire if one of the bridge rectifiers fails.

Your best bet is to toss the wiring harness in the Pokerino backbox and find someone selling an actual Firepower backbox wiring harness. It will have the extra fuse holders and connectors for the sound board.

OR

You will need to learn to read schematics if you want to rebuild the pokerino harness to work with all the Firepower boards.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys, trying to find a wiring harness for this pin
is proving very difficult. I will create one by reading the schematics and hopefully I can get it going using this transformer.

1 week later
#8 6 years ago

Finally got the machine going. There's a few bulbs out, sockets need replacing. I was able to configure the transformer from the Pokerino. Had to make up a wiring harness (kept the wire colour combo intact from original) with the proper Molex plug connector. Did the mods for the fuses and rectifiers. Only thing not working now are the flippers funny enough. Hope to have that solved soon. Should be a nice pin when it's done.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan68:

Only thing not working now are the flippers funny enough.

Is the flipper relay on the driver board working? If it doesn't close the contacts, the flippers won't work.

#10 6 years ago

Just wondering if that would still be an issue with having replaced all the boards with new ones. I guess new stuff aint perfect always lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-project-williams-newbie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.