Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jwilson
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a Firepower that has suddenly stopped playing the right sounds. Game plays fine, but there's no background sound and when it hits a target, I get some other sound, like the voice.

It's like it's one bit off or something. I reseated the connectors, no change. Any clues? Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

History of maintenance/repairs on the machine? Have all the header pins on the boards been addressed, does the sound board or aux board have any SCANBE sockets, etc.?

Richard

#3 6 years ago

Ribbon cables can wear out. Try flipping the ribbon cable between sound and voice board and see if the same sounds are off, or if it's now different ones.

I might try replacing the sound ROMs too, in case one of the chips is failing. You can probably get replacements in your hands pretty fast from Dave Astill.

#4 6 years ago

Game was gone through and got all new header sockets and pins a few years ago. The ribbon cable looks like it's attached to the voice board, I'll take a closer look.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Game was gone through and got all new header sockets and pins a few years ago. The ribbon cable looks like it's attached to the voice board, I'll take a closer look.

I didnt' word that well. The red stripe on the cable aligns with pin 1s of the headers on audio and speech boards. Try flipping the cable so the red stripe aligns with pin 40 (or whatever the highest # pin is) on each board. Upside down. So in theory, the header pins should still all be connected the same, but if the failure is one of the lines on the ribbon cable, now you'll have different sounds playing wrong.

#6 6 years ago

I don’t think you can flip the cable on system 6 sound boards. The voice card side is not a typical ribbon cable header connector.

A good way to rule out the ROMs is to press the diagnostic button on the sound card. If it plays the sounds and voice prompts properly, you can rule out the ROMs. The list of sounds any voice is listed in the FP handbook, I believe.

Playing wrong sounds is usually bad connections between the driver board and sound card which is why header pins and associated connectors are suspect. When you reseated connections, did you the corresponding connections on the driver board?

Do you know if the ROM sockets were replaced on the sound card? Can you try lifting and reinserting the ROM on the sound card?

#7 6 years ago

An update for future searchers - pulling and reseating the connectors from the driver board to the sound board fixed the issue.

Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-playing-wrong-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.