Relay board (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_1055 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Checked the GI fuse and it was perfectly fine, backbox has GI but playfield doesn't. Any help would be great!

IMG_1055 (resized).JPGIMG_1055 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Follow the GI wires back from the PS to the playfield.

Check for voltage at each connector block.

#3 6 years ago

7/10 times it's the connection to power. Do any of the connectors look burnt or brittle?

#4 6 years ago

I'll check it out! Thanks all

#5 6 years ago

Connectors appeared ok, any other ideas?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

Connectors appeared ok, any other ideas?

Where along the connectors did you loose power?

You know you have it at the power supply (test there first) and don't have it at the playfield.

You should have 6.2vac at each connector all the way to the playfield.

Make sure you meter is on AC and let me know where in the chain the power has been lost.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Where along the connectors did you loose power?
You know you have it at the power supply (test there first) and don't have it at the playfield.
You should have 6.2vac at each connector all the way to the playfield.
Make sure you meter is on AC and let me know where in the chain the power has been lost.

Gotcha! This may be a silly question but do I place one lead on a test point and the other on a pin?

#8 6 years ago

Or could I just place the black lead on the ground braid? I have alligator clips to make it easier too

#9 6 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago

Gotcha! This may be a silly question but do I place one lead on a test point and the other on a pin?

Usually it's a solid yellow wire + a yellow wire with a white stripe.

First, meter on AC 20 volt setting

Next measure the voltage right at the power supply board.

Then follow the yellow wires along to each connector, until you find the spot where you no longer have 6.2 volts.

#11 6 years ago

UPDATE: There is power running from all connectors, I put the playfield at a certain angle and all the playfield GI would come on again! Then when I put the playfield all the way down it turns off again, something must be loose. Any ideas on what is loose?

#12 6 years ago

Check the connector that runs from the backbox to the playfield. Follow the wires from the fuse block down into the hole that leads to the bottom cabinet. There will be a connector there. Check that connector.

#13 6 years ago

Is it possible that you have pinched some wires while lifting the playfield?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Is it possible that you have pinched some wires while lifting the playfield?

I think I did a couple days ago when I had it popped open

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Check the connector that runs from the backbox to the playfield. Follow the wires from the fuse block down into the hole that leads to the bottom cabinet. There will be a connector there. Check that connector.

Will do, thanks man

2 months later
#16 6 years ago

Did you find the problem? I have the same.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Did you find the problem? I have the same.

Yes, I did. Super easy fix. Try checking GI wires in far right corner under the playfield. There's like two or three wires soldered together and sometimes they break apart when pulling the playfield up. If that's the case, solder them back together.

#19 6 years ago

Hmmm, what game is this?? My Firepower doesn't have a relay board That looks newer! I still may be able to help!

#20 6 years ago

Hmmm, what game is this?? My Firepower doesn't have a relay board That looks newer! I still may be able to help!

Agreed, Firpower does not have relays on the GI. Plumonium do you have Firepower 2?

#21 6 years ago

It's a Pinbot.

I finished my resto after several months. Put the playfield back in, flip the switch, all good (attract mode) . Turn my back a few minutes and come back. NO more GI on the playfield (both sides) but working on the backbox.à

Any clue?

#22 6 years ago

Those little relay boards always have cold solder joints. Always. Reflow all the joints on the board and see if that helps.

Pinbot doesn't have an interconnect board, but I believe it's still prone to poor GI connections. They're the yellow connections in the backbox. See if they're burnt up as well.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Those little relay boards always have cold solder joints. Always. Reflow all the joints on the board and see if that helps.
Pinbot doesn't have an interconnect board, but I believe it's still prone to poor GI connections. They're the yellow connections in the backbox. See if they're burnt up as well.

I second this

#24 6 years ago

Thanks. The solder on the relay board looks good and I hear the relay clicking on test mode. It could make sense though that the relay would have failed in attract mode (where it gets activated) thus the GI failing suddenly like that while the game was on.

I'll reflow them to see.

The power supply unit looks good but will investigate more. I was instructed to test the GI wire voltage between the solid yellow and stripped yellow, solid purple and stripped purple, etc.

#25 6 years ago

I have a short in my GI circuit. I found the fuse that bridge the GI L/R to be blown again. A visual inspection and a backache later did not reveal anywhere the wires touching each other. Also, because both side are OFF, I suspect they connect both together somewhere.

How do you find a short in the GI with a DMM?

#26 6 years ago

Funny things, I tried bridging my blown fuse with a 44 lamp in the holder. Both sides of the playfield GI is blowing so I tried 1 side first. Well, when I bridge, both sides get lit but dimmer than a full 2smd would. The 44 lamp lights dimly as well.

Should it only light 1 side?

I tried removing 1 fuse from the working backbox GI and it indeed cuts power to a whole string. It makes me believe both of my playfield string are connected somewhere. Do I make sense or I'm just reiterating what a short is?

GRUMPY
wayout440

#27 6 years ago

Left side bridged, both sides get lit...

#28 6 years ago

I'm at a dead-end here, need your help guys. The fact that both GI sides lights (Purple and Yellow wires) from a single line coming from the backbox (either Purple or yellow) tells me I'm onto something here.

But what?
wayout440
GRUMPY
mbaumle

#29 6 years ago

Also, what is this circuit in the GI
Pinbot schematics (resized).pngPinbot schematics (resized).png

Where are the relay board in the schematics?
Relay board (resized).pngRelay board (resized).png

#30 6 years ago

Bump to get help

#31 6 years ago

Sorry to hijacking your thread but I thought it was a good place to start and gather even more info instead of starting a new thread. It might get more traction though... I'm in a pickle here.

Update: Started a new thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-weird-gi-problem

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Sorry to hijacking your thread but I thought it was a good place to start and gather even more info instead of starting a new thread. It might get more traction though... I'm in a pickle here.
Update: Started a new thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-weird-gi-problem

Nah, you’re all good! I hope you find the problem, man!

#33 6 years ago

Found my problem. All good.

#34 6 years ago

What was the solution? It may help others who find this thread in the future.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Found my problem. All good.

Nicee , yeah man I agree with Frunch. What was the issue?

#36 6 years ago

There was a wire that did not belong, either from factory or a operator. Dont' ask my why it worked before...

Removed the yellow wire at the top and unsolder each hot wire for the right side GI. Hooked them back up one by one and found nothing. No more short. I think the culprit was that yellow wire.

It clearly connects both side of the GI together hot wire to hot wire.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-playfield-gi-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.