• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by UvulaBob
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2501.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

When I power on this Firepower, the outhole kicker fires once. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, but I wonder if that's normal. I know that there's a blanking signal or something that prevents coils from firing until voltage has stabilized, so it seems odd that only a single coil fires. Now that I think about it, there could be other coils that are firing - I haven't taken a good hard look at it. I'm pretty sure it's just the one, though. What are some reasons the coil would behave like this?

#5 8 years ago

I figured it out. The Ball Release coil is fired by Q15, which is driven by Q14, which is driven by pin 8 of IC1. IC1 is a 7408 AND gate, which uses pins 9 and 10 as input. Pin 9 is the blanking signal and pin 10 is the signal from the PIA. If blanking is high (which it should always be after initial boot-up) then all it takes is a quick pulse from the PIA to pin 10, and that puts pin 8 high long enough to fire the coil.

I checked pins 9 and 10 and found that pin 9 was always low, despite other blanking signal pins on the same chip being high. That's odd. If that were the case, then why would the coil fire at all? When the PIA sends the pulse to pin 10, the low on pin 9 should cancel it out. Clearly that's not happening. I remembered reading about how TTL chips can "float high" - meaning that if an input pin has a non-standard amount of voltage, the chip assumes it's a high signal. This non-standard amount must be messing with the chip, and my logic probe. So what's causing the weird voltage on that pin?

This.

IMG_2501.JPGIMG_2501.JPG

Pin 9 is the second from the right on the bottom row - the one missing a solder pad. What's funny looking as well is that second from the left on the bottom row is also a blanking signal input pin, as is the second from the left on the top row. I have a feeling those two weren't joined like that when the board came off the factory line. I'm guessing that someone hacked the board to get IC1 to work properly, but they didn't finish their hack, and left pin 9 in the lurch.

I soldered some 30-gauge wire wrap between pin 9 and pin 13 and tested the board on the bench with a Siegecraft solenoid tester module. The coil no longer fired on power-up. I put the board back in the machine, and it was the same thing there. Another problem solved.

Thanks, everyone!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Excellent detective work! But it looks like that chip in the lower right corner of your pic needs help as well...

True. But I don't see that it's causing any problems, so I'mma leave it alone for now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider UvulaBob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-outhole-kicker-fires-when-powered-on?tu=UvulaBob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.