Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

My Firepower is acting strange. In attract mode if the ball is already at the plunger the game will not start. If I shoot the ball and let it fall to the return, I can now start a game but after the ball hits a few targets I lose all sound for the rest of that ball and the rest of the game.

The diagnostic reads 1497 2 which I am guessing is an error of some sort, but I cannot find any information on what it means.

The main board is a MPU327 Rottendog and the other boards appear to be original. Game has been working perfectly up until yesterday.

Thank you,

Robert

#2 7 years ago

Brother, you need to check over that sound board and power supply. Have you done any of the stuff from vids guide for Williams systems? A lot of it doesn't apply cause of the rottendog combo board

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

Also mark otner (Google it) and pinrepair.com have good info.

I'm no guru, lots smarter cats on here than me but those guides are the starting points when I did a full board rebuild.

I'm thinking the shooter switching needs a clean and the sound board checking over. The various guides talk about the various fault and Audit code displays and what they mean

#3 7 years ago

I'm betting that the game won't start because all the balls aren't in the trough. Lots of games are like that.

1497 2 is not an error code. It's something like the game number, or something. All firepowers will read that (maybe also contains the software version?)

If you're losing your sound mid-game, I would expect some sort of bad connection. Start a game, and while its sitting there, open the backbox and start wiggling connectors and see if you can duplicate the issue. I predict you'll find a bad connector somewhere.

Not too familiar with the Rottendog MPU...is that an MPU/driver combo? If so, 75% of your potential problems just went away.

Good luck,
Jeff

#4 7 years ago

+ 1 for the connectors. Has it been repinned?

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It is the original sound board and the sound test fails - depressing white button on the board. If If the 12 pin connector I can sometimes get sound with the rest, but not in game. I am guessing it is a connection issue.

Center right target also now not working and the top left rubber connector not working. Also have top roller over lane switch acting strange. Three of the roll overs will light, but not the fourth unless I do a lane switch.

Thanks

#6 7 years ago

Firepower is well known for having an error in its leaf switch construction on many of the switches in the game. One of the blades is installed (or was riveted) such that the wrong side of the contact touches the other contact- in other words, the two leaves should have the larger side of each contact rivet facing each other, but on Firepower the (small) peened over shank of one rivet contact is touching the contact side of the other contact rivet. This wears throught the gold flash on the correct contact and makes the leaf switch intermittent. If you clean it properly (pull a piece of paper between the contacts) the switch will work fine for a while - days to weeks usually. So the leaf with the wide contact touching is ruined, and must be replaced, and the contact on the other leaf corrected.

You can try and turn the undamaged leaf over and replace the one that was damaged, but the best way to fix is to buy new contact rivets from Steve Young at Pinball Resource and replace both sides. Unsolder, remove and disassemble switch. With a Dremel, grind off back of rivets (both leaves). Clean the contact leaf with fine sandpaper and install new contact rivets (wide faces facing each other) and peen over their shanks using a small hammer while the contact face is on a non-damaging surface (I use a short length of pine 2x4 with a layer or two of duct tape on it).

Also, if you are using an original driver board, check that the switch drive resistors have been replaced w/ zero-ohm jumpers. If you don't know what that means, someone here who is a drive board expert could elaborate. Helps improve reliability by allowing a higher switch voltage.

Generally with a Firepower you will have non ending problems unless you replace all connectors, male and female, fix all the bad switches, make sure you have good sockets for the chips and check the socketed chips for blackened, corroded legs.

Fun game, but tough to get reliable sometimes.

Don C.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.