5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Bodean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have a Firepower that won't talk. All other sounds are present. With sound board connector J3 disconnected, I have 5v on pins 2,3,4,5,7. All of these pins produce sound when grounded except pin 4, which is the speech select input. I traced it back to the PIA, pin 15, which is low. It is supposed to be high, along with pins 10-17. I replaced the PIA; same thing.

I probed IC11 and IC12, and they *seem* to be doing what they are supposed to. (Although I might have screwed up) Any suggestions?

#3 5 years ago

the roms go bad fairly often on the speech board. i sell a lot of them.

#4 5 years ago

Cody, thanks for your troubleshooting guide. I had gone through all of the steps and everything seemed to check out fine. I had forgotten that I had another sound /speech board in my pile of boards. Not sure what game it's from. I put the speech ROMs in from that board, and now I get some sounds from pin 4. No speech, but some sounds. So I assume my ROMs are bad. Looks like I'll be placing an order from Mr Astill. Thanks guys.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-no-speech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.