Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Sorry to start another thread on this but the more I read the more I got confused on what the problem is. So here is what I got.

Firepower - The game works but with no sound. Sound did work fine and then just stopped upon power up the next day. The game was sitting for about 5-10 years untouched, I have had it for a week

If I crank up the sound all the way and put my ear to the speaker I can make out all the sounds and speech but barely.

Fuses and fuse holders are good.
Voltages are correct on the sound board. (11.3, -12.5, 4.99)
I removed the driver board, cpu board and sound board and removed and reflowed any suspected pins and then checked all pins with a DMM - All good to the best of my knowledge.
Checked the speaker and volume pot with a DMM and checked good.
Jumped pins 1 and 2 at 10J2 and just get some minor noise (static/crackling) at the speaker but no sound.
No difference if the speech board is pugged in on not.

Any help or direction would be great.

Thanks
Rob

#2 2 years ago

I might try a sound/speech cap kit if it hasn’t been done yet.

#3 2 years ago

1) Do you get any sounds when pressing the diag button on the sound board (I’m assuming not based on your description but thought I would ask)

2) Move the balance pot on the sound board back and forth several times and set it in the middle of the range. This will clean the wiper which might be the problem.

3) Recap the sound and voice boards. There are several 1uf and 10uf caps in the sound path that can dry up and block the audio signal. C12, C29, C14 on the sound board and C1, C12 on the voice board. Best to replace them all while you are at it.

4) Try a new speaker if you have one lying around. You can connect it to the speaker terminals in the cabinet with jumper wires.

5) If all else fails and you get no sounds at all, suspect the amp IC1 on the sound board.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

1) Do you get any sounds when pressing the diag button on the sound board (I’m assuming not based on your description but thought I would ask)
2) Move the balance pot on the sound board back and forth several times and set it in the middle of the range. This will clean the wiper which might be the problem.
3) Recap the sound and voice boards. There are several 1uf and 10uf caps in the sound path that can dry up and block the audio signal. C12, C29, C14 on the sound board and C1, C12 on the voice board. Best to replace them all while you are at it.
4) Try a new speaker if you have one lying around. You can connect it to the speaker terminals in the cabinet with jumper wires.
5) If all else fails and you get no sounds at all, suspect the amp IC1 on the sound board.

The Diag button did nothing as you expected. The sound board looks untouched so I will order a cap kit and the Amp at IC1 (tda2002). I will report back when I get them installed.

Thanks
Rob

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

The Diag button did nothing as you expected. The sound board looks untouched so I will order a cap kit and the Amp at IC1 (tda2002). I will report back when I get them installed.
Thanks
Rob

Make sure to get the caps on the voice board. The schematic calls them both electrolytic but often one is tantalum. If it is tantalum, odds are it’s still good.

#6 2 years ago

Touch the legs of that amp with a finger and see of you get a loud buzz. That would indicate if it is working.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Touch the legs of that amp with a finger and see of you get a loud buzz. That would indicate if it is working.

No buzz

I forgot about doing that, its been at least 20 years since I had these older games. I also forgot how great they are.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

No buzz
I forgot about doing that, its been at least 20 years since I had these older games. I also forgot how great they are.

I would check voltage at the legs of that amp next.

1 week later
#9 2 years ago

OK, now I have sound and speech (speech at starting a game, didnt go any further). BUT, the sounds are like a EM, just bings and bongs with no background sound. I reset the settings since I know I was in there messing with stuff. free play, 3 balls and setting 35 is set at factor "12". Testing the sound board with its test switch the sound seem like normal classic firepower sounds. In game nothing but bings and bongs.

I do remember that there were a few games of this era that you could change this kind of thing but its been awhile and I didnt see a setting for this.

Im stumped

#10 2 years ago

Found it, it was the rocker switch on the sound board, I must have hit it and changed it when I had it out. All good now.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

OK, now I have sound and speech (speech at starting a game, didnt go any further). BUT, the sounds are like a EM, just bings and bongs with no background sound. I reset the settings since I know I was in there messing with stuff. free play, 3 balls and setting 35 is set at factor "12". Testing the sound board with its test switch the sound seem like normal classic firepower sounds. In game nothing but bings and bongs.
I do remember that there were a few games of this era that you could change this kind of thing but its been awhile and I didnt see a setting for this.
Im stumped

Turn the game off. Toggle switch 1 on the sound board (the tiny 2 position DIP switch)

Edit - posted this while you figured it out on your own!

Happy you figured it out - congrats on the fix!

What was it, the caps or the amp?

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Turn the game off. Toggle switch 1 on the sound board (the tiny 2 position DIP switch)
Edit - glad you figured it out - congrats on the fix!
What was it, the caps or the amp?

Well I replaced the amp and the caps and still had nothing. So I did some digging and didnt get anywhere, so I called on old friend that is pretty good with this stuff and suggested replacing the two chips on the speech board. They were the two 8 pin chips by the volume pot on the speech board. He sent them to me so I dont remember that the part number that was on them. That fixed it.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

Well I replaced the amp and the caps and still had nothing. So I did some digging and didnt get anywhere, so I called on old friend that is pretty good with this stuff and suggested replacing the two chips on the speech board. They were the two 8 pin chips by the volume pot on the speech board. He sent them to me so I dont remember that the part number that was on them. That fixed it.

Thanks for posting the ultimate solution.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-no-sound-1?hl=mrcleanhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.