• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3344_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

So I took to doing some repairs and upgrades on my FP. I replaced the flipper bats, bushings, and the majority of the mechanism of the left flipper. I also have been progressively cleaning out areas of the PF, including the ball locks. Last night, I cleaned the leftmost one. It has worked with no issue since I got the game.

Tonight, I noticed that after I replaced the flipper parts that lane change was not working. I tracked it down to a wire that had become dislodged from the lane change switch (likely while replacing flipper parts), so I re-soldered it. Lane change works fine now. When I went to try out the new flippers, the first time I shot the ball into the left lock, it became lodged in there, but did not kick out (the lane was not lit at the time). I attempted to trip the switch manually, to no avail. So, I put the machine into diagnostic mode, and the solenoid for the kicker itself works with no issue. So, I assume that the switch itself is the issue. I cleaned the contacts, checked the wires and the diode for the switch, and nothing seems to be amiss at least to the naked eye.

Could I have done something while re-soldering the wire in a seemingly unrelated part of the board? Could my cleaning of the lock have inadvertently done something last night? I can see nothing wrong with it, and nothing else on the machine is not working to my knowledge. I tested the other two locks, and they function normally.

I am very new to this and attempting to get my feet wet with electronics, so bear with me. Suggestions?

#2 7 years ago

Any other switches not working? What about the switch test, does it show open/closed?

#3 7 years ago

Since you cleaned the lock mechanism, it's possible something could still be amiss. With the game running, raise the playfield and carefully trigger the switch from below. If it works by pressing it with a finger, either the contacts are still dirty or it's out of adjustment.

If manually pressing the switch does not work, check the other switches in the column (left inlane & outlane, and spinner are obvious) and row ("4" target, top center target, left star rollover, etc). If they work, check the diode on your lock switch. If they do not work, you have a bigger issue.

Incidentally, the lane change switch not only shares a row with your troublesome switch, but is also a particularly dangerous one to short due to its proximity to high-voltage flipper current. Since you say one of its wires was accidentally loose, I'd be wary if it possibly shorted to the flipper switches nearby. When that happens it usually wreaks much more havoc than just one fouled switch upstream... but if you do have a column or row out, that was probably the cause.

#4 7 years ago

I will check all of this when I get home tonight. Understood with the proximity to the flipper switch, as this could cause a much more serious short. I did clean the contacts and attempt to activate the switch manually from under the play field, and none of that worked. I'll also run a switch test as well and let you guys know the results.

What is the best way to check the diode? Again, I am very slowly learning about electronics (something I always wanted to do).

EDIT: I managed to get down this morning before work. It does in fact seem that switches 13, 29, and 53 are all out. 21 and 45 work correctly, and i'm not sure what 37 "Lower Top Right Standup" is to test it. So it does seem that at least some of the switches in that row are indeed out.

#5 7 years ago

sounds like open circuit under the PF. Switch wires are daisy chained from switch to switch. When you reconnected your lane change, did you only connect one wire? (if there is two here and only one connected could give your symptom, just throwing out ideas).

The stand ups are the round face target. It is saying the lowest stand up target in the top right bank.

#6 7 years ago

Thank you. In thinking about it, I was wondering if I inadvertently soldered the wire to the incorrect terminal on the switch. Could this cause some to be open and others not?

#7 7 years ago

diodes limit the direction of current flow. So if you flipped the wires around but not the diode, yes.

#8 7 years ago

Yes only resoldered one wire, I'll snap a picture tonight to illustrate.

#9 7 years ago

So I think I have the culprit: I incorrectly soldered the wire on the wrong side of the diode. This would explain why only some of the switches work. I'll show you the picture, tell me if I'm right. I think both green-dash-white wires need to be on the same side to relay the signal without the diode interrupting:

IMG_3344_(resized).jpgIMG_3344_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

The white/green wires need to be together.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks to everyone here, I re-soldered the wire in the correct place, and all works correctly. This has, at the least, been a great learning experience about how these circuits work. Much appreciated!

#12 7 years ago

I have never been more proud.

2 weeks later
#13 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Thanks to everyone here, I re-soldered the wire in the correct place, and all works correctly. This has, at the least, been a great learning experience about how these circuits work. Much appreciated!

Oh, just you wait.

Wait until you get something else weird happening, and you get instructed to replace the pins on the interconnect. You are in for a treat. Learn how to re-flow solder. With a Firepower you will need it...... In fact, my Firepower has given me the best opportunity to improve my soldering skills.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-new-issue-with-left-ball-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.