• Latest reply 7 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CG0KsXXXEAAscSF (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Picked up a Firepower, got life flowing to it again - all seems well, except having the game powered on rapidly heats up the end of the AC cord, and moreso the outlet plug - to the point where it started melting. I've tested another game in the same outlet, and tried Firepower in a different outlet on a separate circuit as well. The problem is definately coming from the game itself.

I haven't been able to find anything online, does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

#2 7 years ago

Firepower is a pretty hot game.

rd

#3 7 years ago

Seriously though, start with replacing the cord and plug (its 40 years old, replace it anyway, ensure it is earthed correctly!) and then check the transformer.

rd

#4 7 years ago

I'm legitimately concerned that providing power to Firepower will start a fire from the power plug.

#5 7 years ago

Sounds like a good place to start - I assume the issue would be limited to the AC side of the circuit - was hoping someone else may have had to deal with this first hand before.

#6 7 years ago

Sounds like to much resistance building up between wall outlet and transformer. A short in transformer or just a bad plug. You can use one of those laser thermometer guns that harbor freight sells to help track down where the heat issue starts.
Mike

#7 7 years ago

Sounds like you're well on your way to a fire. Maybe someone has over fused or bypassed the circuit protection. Start by checking all of the fuse values, particularly the fuse for the incoming 120v.

#8 7 years ago

Then replace the power cord. It is likely that a number of stranded wires in the cord are broken cranking up the resistance and turning it into a toaster.

#9 7 years ago

Check to make sure all your fuse values are correct before trying to turn it on again

#10 7 years ago

All great suggestions but also check your outlet. I could have been damaged.

#11 7 years ago

All those suggestions are good. Replace cord with a heavy duty 3 prong outlet cord, and making certain the mains fuse is correct value are a good place to start. You don't want to end up like this Firepower.

CG0KsXXXEAAscSF (resized).jpgCG0KsXXXEAAscSF (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Oh wow
That really would make me

Mike

#13 7 years ago

Take an amp check and go from there. Could be plug, could be outlet, could be transformer. Pull all fuses except the main for the transformer and see what you have.

#14 7 years ago

Have the two backbox mounted bridge rectifiers been modified with fuses yet? Remember, if one of those bridges shorts and it's not fused, the transformer and wiring will overheat and catch fire!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-melting-its-ac-plug-outlet?hl=darkchao and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.