• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

826d611c4d44857d9acc33cdf94713383a434e6f (resized).jpg
IMG20200529220424 (resized).jpg
IMG20200529220424 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have had all boards rebuilt recently by a trusted technician. When I flip the switch underneath, the coils for kickers and pop bumpers lock on. I switched off immediately and disconnected the second connector on the driver board. I switched on again and the game goes into attract mode and starts a game but obviously bumpers flippers and kickers are inoperable. Should I be looking on the driver board or is there something going on under the playfield? I can't see anything obvious like wires disconnected or damaged.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

by second connector, do you mean 2J12, upper left side?
Are all the locking on coils pop bumpers/slings ?

Yes that's right. I turned it off so quick I can't be sure if anything else was locking on but I think just pops and slings.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

At your convenience upload a photo of the driverboard.

IMG20200529220424 (resized).jpgIMG20200529220424 (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

All screws present holding in the mpu and driver boards?

All except the two in line with the new 40 pin connector.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from athens95:

Make sure the solenoid fuse is not oversized. Or don’t leave this game on when not in the room. Or you will smell a bad burning smell coming from your machine very soon.
Also, get about a 100 pack of the solenoid fuse. I think 5 amp but might be a little lower. These will blow all the time on you. At least a 100 pack might last a year as this problem will get progressively worse.
Usually this is caused by the blanking circuit not completely right. And usually this is the interconnect between the mpu and driver. Might want to talk to the guy that worked on your boards.
If you leave this game locked on and don’t catch it will burn up all kinds of stuff
Another way to fix is a rottendog MPU, but these sometimes come with problems also.

It has the right amp fuses and I flicked the power on and straight off again...then unplugged the 2nd connector on the left side of the driver board. Not taking any chances

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

And they locked on as soon as you turned the machine on? Didn't need to start a game first?

Yep, as soon as you flick the switch they lock and off it goes before anything gets fried!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

I have a similar issue with mine... but i dont have all the board screws in... could that be the problem i wonder?

I wouldn't have thought so as long as you don't put any screws in line with the 40 pin connector. I may have damaged something on the driver board but I think there's a wiring issue somewhere that is eluding me...been trying to fix it for nearly a year without success. Also noticed one special lamp doesn't flash and the switch above the power targets tilts the game.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

This definitely sounds like a board issue to me. It's possible that the solenoids are just grounded somewhere on the playfield, but the fact that it's only the special solenoids on 2J12 makes that feel unlikely. Try unplugging 2J13, that's the inputs for the switches which control the pops and slings. I assume they'll still lock on, but worth a check. The inputs shouldn't be active until you start a game or enter test mode though...

So plug in 2J12 and unplug 2J13? Isn't there a chance I'll damage the board even more?
I know the guy who fixed my boards does good work and he was very patient as I sent the driver board back to him three times when coils kept locking on. He is sure something's going on under the playfield that keeps damaging the transistors and ic's but even the techy that came out couldn't find a fault.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I would try leaving the pops and slings disconnected and verify no other coils are locking on besides those before proceeding.

I mentioned with 2J12 disconnected you can start a game and everything works except the switch above the 3 right side targets tilts the game.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Ahh sorry i missed that.

No worries

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My guess is a shot somewhere on the playfield or in a wire bundle. I’m not good at diagnostics online. I work better with schematics, the manual and looking at the game.
I’d look over the switch matrix to see if there’s anything that connects the issues together.

That's my guess too but I just can't find it.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

As long as you have quick reactions I wouldn't worry about it at that point.
The only things that go through 2J12 are the ground side signals for the bumpers and flippers, but all of them go through transistors or the flipper relay, and those should always be disabled at power on. I can't see how any playfield issue could be causing the instant lock on without there being a board issue.
Did it act like this immediately when you first got the boards back and installed them? Or is there any chance you managed to get into test mode or a game the first time, and then something on the playfield damaged the board, so that now you have this instant lock on issue?

It locked on straight away after getting the board back. The two other times the boards came back it worked for a while and then the top right pop bumper would lock on.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

All coils locked on:

All special coils locked on:
Reinstall coil output connector
do the the flippers work in game over mode?

Quoted from PINTEC:

All special coils locked on:
Reinstall coil output connector
do the the flippers work in game over mode?

I'm hesitant to plug it back in even for a split second as there are so many coils locking on I'll do more damage to the driver board.
Can you tell me what to look for if the flippers are active in game over?

#30 3 years ago

All those chips are socketed on my driver board and I've replaced all the special solenoid pia and ic chips with new ones but still locking on.

#31 3 years ago

I couldn't fix it so it's at the Pinball repairer now and I'll let you know what the problems were.

1 week later
#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Yes, keep us updated! Good luck!

Thanks, all fixed and playing great! Apparently, the 4 pop bumpers needed new diodes, caps etc and the green and grey wires were shorting. Someone had replaced a fire target and wired it wrong also...funny though as I never had a problem with them. They changed all the special transistors as they told me the guy who rebuilt the board neglected doing that and they also changed some ic's that were too fast for the game whatever that means. In summary; lots and lots of dodgy fixes and sloppy repairs over the last 40 years. She's all good now though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-lots-of-coils-lock-on?tu=the4horse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.