New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 222635)

Firepower Locked Coil at Startup **Solved**

By scupbucket

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by aztarac
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

Sounds like the switch for the left sling is stuck closed, or there's a short in the wiring. Does unplugging 2J13 fix it?

#4 2 years ago

In that case it sounds like an issue with the board itself in the circuitry that fires the solenoid when the pin on 2J13 goes low. If I had the schematics for the RD board I could probably point you to a chip, but I'm not sure if they're available?

#6 2 years ago

IC9 appears to be an inverting buffer, so it'll be easy to check whether it's the problem, just compare pins 4 and 16 are both high. If IC9-4 is low, however, then you'd have to go back to IC7C and check the two inputs (pins 9+10) of that. If either is low that'll cause the kicker to turn on. 9 should read high unless the sling switch is closed (so always high with 2J13 unplugged), and 10 should read high except during solenoid test when the CPU fires the coil. It could also be a bad pullup at SIP6 leaving the input to pin 9 floating, but that's less likely.

Capture (resized).PNG
#8 2 years ago

Alright, so it's not IC9. What do you mean about pin 9 reading 'nothing'? It should be high all the time when 2j13 is unplugged due to the pullup. With the game off, can you measure the resistance from pin 9 to 5V/VCC? and compare with the resistance from pin 12? Should both be 4.7kohm

#10 2 years ago

That's... weird. I wouldn't have expected the IC to affect the resistance readings. Maybe it's just a coincidence though... Normally I'd suggest pulling the SIP resistor and checking it out of circuit, but since this is a new board maybe there's some warranty option that would be better?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 11.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside