• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by aztarac
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Sounds like the switch for the left sling is stuck closed, or there's a short in the wiring. Does unplugging 2J13 fix it?

#4 5 years ago

In that case it sounds like an issue with the board itself in the circuitry that fires the solenoid when the pin on 2J13 goes low. If I had the schematics for the RD board I could probably point you to a chip, but I'm not sure if they're available?

#6 5 years ago

IC9 appears to be an inverting buffer, so it'll be easy to check whether it's the problem, just compare pins 4 and 16 are both high. If IC9-4 is low, however, then you'd have to go back to IC7C and check the two inputs (pins 9+10) of that. If either is low that'll cause the kicker to turn on. 9 should read high unless the sling switch is closed (so always high with 2J13 unplugged), and 10 should read high except during solenoid test when the CPU fires the coil. It could also be a bad pullup at SIP6 leaving the input to pin 9 floating, but that's less likely.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#8 5 years ago

Alright, so it's not IC9. What do you mean about pin 9 reading 'nothing'? It should be high all the time when 2j13 is unplugged due to the pullup. With the game off, can you measure the resistance from pin 9 to 5V/VCC? and compare with the resistance from pin 12? Should both be 4.7kohm

#10 5 years ago

That's... weird. I wouldn't have expected the IC to affect the resistance readings. Maybe it's just a coincidence though... Normally I'd suggest pulling the SIP resistor and checking it out of circuit, but since this is a new board maybe there's some warranty option that would be better?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-locked-coil-at-startup?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.