Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MarAlb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

On the bench with no driver board and running Leon's Test chip. LEDs blink ten times then stop. New U1 socket, crystal, crystal caps, and 3 different 6802/6808 chips. Verified good socket at U17.

What should a logic probe show on U1 pins (clock pins) 38 and 39 ? According to the repair guide I have, they should be pulsing. I get a steady low even though the crystal and it's caps are new. I get the same result with 3 different CPU chips. I don't get a clock pulse even when the LEDs flash before stopping.

What would cause no clock signal? Any other suggestions? Reset stays low then goes high like it should.

Jason

#2 9 years ago

Your logic probe will probably crash the clock when probing u9 p38/p39. Check p37 "E" instead, it is the clock output which you can safely test and trust the results.

Does your game have the data buffers still installed? If you have a data problem, you can sometime get some activity where as a address problem you are typically dead dead.

#3 9 years ago

The LEDs cease blinking even without the logic probe on 38/39.

I've never heard of data buffers before.

#4 9 years ago

U1 pin 37 is pulsing on the logic probe. Even when the LEDs cease to blink using Leons chip.

#5 9 years ago

Then your clock is probably fine.

If you have a frequency counter, it is around 900k

#6 9 years ago

What is the next thing to check to keep it from crashing? When I power on the board, the LEDs flash ten times and then stop. The clock is still pulsing, but I'm lost as to what to do next.

2 weeks later
#7 9 years ago

I still can not figure out what is wrong. I took voltage and logic probe readings from each test point. Hopefully someone can help me.

Test points are as follows:

TP1=14.56 hi
TP2 = 3.96 hi
TP3 = 0. Lo
TP4= 0. Lo
TP5=4.89 hi/lo pulse
TP6=2.5 hi/lo pulse
TP7=4.8 hi
TP8=4.95 hi
TP9=5.05 hi

Jason

#8 9 years ago

It is time to check out every data line and every address line for shorts and opens. Easiest done with just the CPU installed.

Next check the CE for the roms and rams and so on.

Like I said above, the data buffers crap out most often.

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

It was a bad 5101 chip.

Jason

#10 9 years ago

Trust the diag built into the flipper roms over the leon memory test. It is much more reliable as long as the MPU boots up somewhat. Leon test can pass when the RAM is actually bad.

In fact... ditch the leon test chip. Andre's works much better if you are willing to build the test LED board that hooks up to a display connector.

#11 9 years ago

The LEDs stopped blinking because the 5101 was bad. Once I took it off the board, the LEDs didn't stop blinking.

#12 9 years ago

Leon's test eprom is indeed not very accurate testing the memory chips. It inspired me to program my own test eprom for Williams system 3-6 and system 7. They are available for everyone who wants to try it.

Marco

#13 9 years ago

Great stuff Marco! Do we just send you a PM and request it, or is it available to download somewhere?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Great stuff Marco! Do we just send you a PM and request it, or is it available to download somewhere?

Thanks There isn't a website yet. I am sorry about that. If you send me a PM with an emailaddress i will send the images and a description.

Marco

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-leons-test-chip-blinks-then-stops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.