image_(resized).jpeg
BigGameBG_(resized).jpg
BigGameBG2_(resized).jpg
20160423_165308_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Clown_Puke_(resized).jpg
firepower_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Just bought an led kit for my Firepower. I'm used to incandescent bulbs but I thought I'd buy some LEDS to make the art really 'pop'. Are LEDS a good switch for early solid state games? I heard LEDS can be beneficial in allowing your game to run a bit cooler. What are your all's thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

It's a matter of taste.

There are so many bulb options now to choose from to really customize your lighting scheme. I usually keep a small sampling of various bulbs on hand, so then when I settle on the bulbs I'm going to use, I then order enough to install in the game. Half the fun of customizing a game is this process, rather than going with a pre-made kit.

But yes, the game will run cooler.

If you want to run incandescents, be sure to use the cooler variety (use #47 instead of #44, for example)

#3 7 years ago

wide warm white GI, cool white under white, warm white under yellow, multi led under pops, flex led where required to get around corners and whatever works under the others. But thats what *I* like not what you do.... as above.. its a matter of taste

#4 7 years ago

I highly recommend LEDs under the inserts, especially on a game like Firepower where the inserts have faded over time. Color matching will really make the inserts pop. The added benefit is you won't have to crawl under your playfield to replace bulbs all the time. Today's incandescents don't hold up.

#5 7 years ago

I did mine but had to keep a few of them as incans because even the no-ghost LEDs would ghost like a bitch. As long as you stick with white for the GI and color match the inserts it can be tasteful and give the game a cool sci-fi look.

firepower_(resized).jpgfirepower_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

I did mine but had to keep a few of them as incans because even the no-ghost LEDs would ghost like a bitch. As long as you stick with white for the GI and color match the inserts it can be tasteful and give the game a cool sci-fi look.

firepower_(resized).jpg

NICE

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's a matter of taste.
There are so many bulb options now to choose from to really customize your lighting scheme. I usually keep a small sampling of various bulbs on hand, so then when I settle on the bulbs I'm going to use, I then order enough to install in the game. Half the fun of customizing a game is this process, rather than going with a pre-made kit.
But yes, the game will run cooler.
If you want to run incandescents, be sure to use the cooler variety (use #47 instead of #44, for example)

Cool, man. Thanks for the reply.

#8 7 years ago

Pinsider goingincirclez did LEDs in his machine...I thought it looked pretty good and had a few colored LEDs in the GI...see below.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-ongoing-saga-says-if-im-wile-e-coyote#post-3114351

#9 7 years ago

NICE! Now I'm excited to get these LEDs in. It's gonna look great. Thanks for sharing @Captive_Ball

#10 7 years ago

Heres a Vid from the Firepower Club thread that was sent to me from Jumping-Box:

#11 7 years ago

For the safest bet:

1. Color match the playfield inserts. I usually use Warm White for the yellow and orange inserts.

2. Warm White for GI (unless the playfield is mostly blue, like F14 (then go with Cool White). Only a few games (like Fireball Classic) ever had colored bulbs for the GI from the factory. #1 nubie mistake is trying to colorize the playfield GI.

3. Never try to colorize the backglass. This always looks like clown puke. #2 nubie mistake is trying to "improve" the colors on the backglass.

4. If Warm White LEDs still make the backglass look washed out, switch to #47 bulbs. Games with a lot of warm yellows in the backglass (like Comet) can't be LEDed; they just look like they were baked in the sun.

Don't be a clown.

Clown_Puke_(resized).jpgClown_Puke_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Heres a Vid from the Firepower Club thread that was sent to me from Jumping-Box:

That's pretty cool, I should do that to mine.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

» YouTube video

Art + Matrix System = Genius

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

For the safest bet:
1. Color match the playfield inserts. I usually use Warm White for the yellow and orange inserts.
2. Warm White for GI (unless the playfield is mostly blue, like F14 (then go with Cool White). Only a few games (like Fireball Classic) ever had colored bulbs for the GI from the factory. #1 nubie mistake is trying to colorize the playfield GI.
3. Never try to colorize the backglass. This always looks like clown puke. #2 nubie mistake is trying to "improve" the colors on the backglass.
4. If Warm White LEDs still make the backglass look washed out, switch to #47 bulbs. Games with a lot of warm yellows in the backglass (like Comet) can't be LEDed; they just look like they were baked in the sun.
Don't be a clown.
Clown_Puke_(resized).jpg

Hahah "clown puke". Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I'm going to post before and after photos when the bulbs come in.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

» YouTube video

That looks amazing!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

1 nubie mistake is trying to colorize the playfield GI.

For the love of God, this x infinity. GI should be WHITE so it shows ALL the colors around it. MAYBE an exception here or there in specific locations, but it's so depressing to play dark games because someone's put in all blue GI...

Quoted from vid1900:

Never try to colorize the backglass. This always looks like clown puke. #2 nubie mistake is trying to "improve" the colors on the backglass.

I'd allow one exception: using colored bulbs to help disguise flaking areas. Before I replaced by Big Game glass, I had a couple red bulbs behind the BIG GAME letters to help hide cracking and flaking. Also worked to help make a crappy Flight2K glass look a little better.

I put some LEDs in my FP, but only in a few spots: red and blue under the FIRE POWER inserts, blue in the left 3bank standup inserts, and red/yellow in the pops (X pattern). I found incandescents lit up the rest of the inserts just fine.

#17 7 years ago

GI looks best as incandecent 44/47. LEDs are OK in the inserts.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#18 7 years ago

I'm the one who was linked above, before the clown puke rebuttals from Vid and Metallik...

Quoted from metallik:

For the love of God, this x infinity. GI should be WHITE so it shows ALL the colors around it. MAYBE an exception here or there in specific locations, but it's so depressing to play dark games because someone's put in all blue GI...
vid1900 said:
Never try to colorize the backglass. This always looks like clown puke. #2 nubie mistake is trying to "improve" the colors on the backglass.
I'd allow one exception: using colored bulbs to help disguise flaking areas. Before I replaced by Big Game glass, I had a couple red bulbs behind the BIG GAME letters to help hide cracking and flaking. Also worked to help make a crappy Flight2K glass look a little better.

Just want to say, that's precisely what I did: with a few exceptions, all the GI on the playfield and GI is white. I used cool white for "space" and warm white where ignition, burning, warmer tones (red letters), etc is implied.

The exceptions I decided to experiment with are these: under the left inlane, the bulb aligns with the spaceship's yellow plume, so I put a yellow bulb there. The right side of the "death star" is purple, so I put a purple LED under the sling. I then tried an aqua (cyan?) bulb under the right inlane to see what that would do to the Earth. The left sling and all other GI is white. In the backbox, I used a red bulb to hide flaking in the lower right corner, but the ones I have are a bit intense. Still, that point of red light could be the source of that explosion...

I agree that artwork is generally designed with white illumination in mind, so you don't want to shift the colors too much! To that end I'm not sure I want to keep the aqua bulb, but the purple and yellow ones enhance the tension implied in the art without losing any detail. IMO anyway.

For the inserts, I color matched. The lone exception is the "20" insert, which has an RGB color-changer. I wanted to constrain the white inserts to the Death Star itself... and once you're playing well enough to make "20", the color change gets your attention and seems to stand alone as another artwork object in the battle.

Anyway, those were my personal reasons. As others have stated, have fun with it, but try not to overdo it.

All my bulbs are plain frosted 2SMD's from Comet and despite all my other issues with this particular game, I have no ghosting issues whatsoever.

The color-flashing strips in that video are awesome, I'll have to add those!

20160423_165308_(resized).jpg20160423_165308_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I disagree, I think it is a personal preference. Todd Tuckey has been in the business since 1979 and I don't really consider him a nubie. Here is one example of a backglass that he colorized. It doesn't look bad at all.

The bottom line is that it's your pinball machine. Do what you think looks best. Don't let others tell you what does or doesn't look good on your game.

BigGameBG2_(resized).jpgBigGameBG2_(resized).jpg

BigGameBG_(resized).jpgBigGameBG_(resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Todd Tuckey has been in the business since 1979 and I don't really consider him a nubie.

Take a look at his playfields that are touched up with a paintbrush and we'll talk.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Todd Tuckey has been in the business since 1979 and I don't really consider him a nubie.

Todd and I are good friends, but would you want one of his lumpy playfields and lime green alien?

This would look great in a My Little Pony bedroom:

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I disagree, I think it is a personal preference. Todd Tuckey has been in the business since 1979 and I don't really consider him a nubie. Here is one example of a backglass that he colorized. It doesn't look bad at all.
The bottom line is that it's your pinball machine. Do what you think looks best. Don't let others tell you what does or doesn't look good on your game.

BigGameBG2_(resized).jpgBigGameBG_(resized).jpg

I know Todd! He's a real cool guy with talent and a talented team.

#23 7 years ago

This is a before shot of my Firepower. I'll be putting in LEDs as soon as they come in. Stay tuned, dudes.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

BigGameBG2_(resized).jpgBigGameBG_(resized).jpg

I put slow fade color changers in the tiger face of my Big Game. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's a matter of taste.

I consider myself a newbie when it comes to this hobby. I've been at it for about a year now. I only own Firepower but my buddy has 7 machines. We try different things with different coloured LEDs in the games.

My FP is fully loaded with coloured LEDs; under-playfield, GI, backglass, everywhere. I think I might be better suited to switch to some white bulbs underneath the playfield plastics rather than coloured but I think the choices have worked well. The backglass was a lot of trial and error. Some colours looked good, some looked horrible. The attached pictures don't do it justice. It is a brand new backglass from Mayfair. I don't have any shots or video of my CPR playfield post-swap. I will try to remember to post some this weekend.

At the end of the day, to each his own. As long as you're happy with it, doesn't really matter what anyone else says.

IMG_20160313_152613_(resized).jpgIMG_20160313_152613_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160313_145606_(resized).jpgIMG_20160313_145606_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.