• Latest reply 3 years ago by Don_C
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Firepower-Lamp-Matrix (resized).PNG
#1 3 years ago

Hey folks, trying to troubleshoot why row 7 lamp matrix on my firepower are not lighting in attract or game play. If I ground tab on Q61 in diagnostic mode the only ones in the row that light are "Ball in Play" and "Same Player shoots again" I've looked at all the under playfield wires and haven't seen any loose/broken wires in the chain. I also replaced Q61 and Q60 transistors with no luck. Also while I had board out, reflowed solder on pins for the connector 2J7. Not sure what to try next troubleshooting the issue.

Firepower-Lamp-Matrix (resized).PNGFirepower-Lamp-Matrix (resized).PNG

#2 3 years ago

Use a logic probe up the chain from the pre-driver and look for stuck line. Probably one of the buffer chips or the PIA (if socketed, swap the pia with another).
Could also be a cracked solder joint on a chip leg.

Don C.

#3 3 years ago

I’m in the middle of shot gun replacing every single diode on the playfield harness on my resto to hopefully help with head scratchers like this. But might be worth replacing the diodes, I’d start with the pop bumper light since it’s the first one in the row not working next to the ones working.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

Use a logic probe up the chain from the pre-driver and look for stuck line. Probably one of the buffer chips or the PIA (if socketed, swap the pia with another).
Could also be a cracked solder joint on a chip leg.
Don C.

Probed IC12 and found pins 5,9,11,13 with no H or L or pulse. The rest were pulsing between H & L or just low.

If this is my problem it's a 7406 hex inverter buffer. The closest I have is a 7404 would that work to replace?

#5 3 years ago

Probed IC12 and found pins 5,9,11,13 with no H or L or pulse. The rest were pulsing between H & L or just low.

If this is my problem it's a 7406 hex inverter buffer. The closest I have is a 7404 hex inverter would that work to replace?

#6 3 years ago

I ran a simple jumper wire (why didn't I think of this earlier) from Shoots again light wire over to the bottom L bumper same color wire and all the rest light up. So, I must have a wire break somewhere in the loom I guess. after more searching and checking the wire going through the loom from backbox to playfield I started to get continuity beeps...not sure where where the bad connection is at, maybe it was pinched.. it's all lit up right now, could go out again though I guess. thanks!

#7 3 years ago

Wire breaks can be tough, but your logical approach is going to get it done. Happy flipping!

Don C

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-lamp-row-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.