New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 132014)

Firepower issue?

By Hazoff

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by openpinballproj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-23.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I just got it and after about 3 games I shut it off changed some lights then turned it back and now its acting crazy. When I turn it on it either boots proper or sometimes I get 1497 2 on the display. The coils will sometimes all fire, or the display will be very faint? I don't know, please any advice will help, fuses seem fine. Thank you

#2 5 years ago

Chip sockets and the 40 pin inter-connect probably need work.

[edit] Oh, and connectors as well...

#3 5 years ago

If it is anything like FP2, I would pull the connectors and reseat them. That has fixed more old pinball machine issues than I can remember. For the longer term, inspect the connectors and see if you need to reflow the solder on the pins. It was definitely necessary on my FP2 and had strange flakey problems until I took the time to do it right.

#4 5 years ago

The game now will not start when I push the start button, If I play around with one of the connectors it will start? Holy shit what has happened, worse case I will have to have my pin tech work it out. Its strange because he dropped it off and it worked perfectly and as soon as he leaves its fucked. (like that never happens)

#5 5 years ago

Sounds like you nailed it down actually . Try reflowing the solder on the connector, and the 40 pin interconnect.

#6 5 years ago

40 pin interconnect
Which one is that, from the backbox down into the playfield?

#7 5 years ago

100% agree. Reflow the solder on the 40 pin interconnect and it will probably work like new. Those connectors are notorious and you might experience problems until you get that done. It's a simple job if you have an iron and some solder. Best of luck!

#8 5 years ago

Connector goes between the MPU and the driver board. It connects the two big boards together.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

40 pin interconnect
Which one is that, from the backbox down into the playfield?

Circled in yellow.

image-23.jpg

#11 5 years ago

Also, check your battery holder. Corrosion may have caused damage to the pads the batteries make contact with. That would cause your 1497 2 display issue.

#12 5 years ago

The battery pads look good, is there a certain sequence that the batteries need to be in? I can't find it in the manual.

#13 5 years ago

I had a similar problem with mine, unfortunately I needed a new mpu board. Bit the bullet and bought a new one - playing great ever since. But, before doing that exhaust all other possible problems, molex connectors, soldered wires, leaky batteries, fuses, fuse holders, etc. Guys on forums really know their stuff! Good luck.

#14 5 years ago

I always replace the battery pack with a remote one so I don't have to ever worry about battery acid damage again. Is that a system 7? If so http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Sys7-MPU.jpg shows that positives all go to the right. Looks like it is in the copper.

#15 5 years ago

I'm not getting the 1497 2 anymore, pads are clean. I think even though the game was off when I changed some lights on the playfield and few underneath I did something I guess to cause a short. If I have to get all new boards I will as with the CPR playfield and plastics this thing looks amazing and the game is awesome to play so its a keeper. Anyway thanks for the advice.

#16 5 years ago

I would seriously reflow the 40 pin connector, or at least look at it. Let me suggest a video I've never watched myself, but from the title assume is a good one for what you are seeing.

http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/bk/bkelectronicseng.htm - Look at the 7th picture down, you may see cracks that form circles around the pins.

I knew Vid with have a good picture of this somewhere:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-962763

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 11.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside