4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RGarriott
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgarriott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Im having an issue with my Firepower. It started out with just the sound going crazy and then it would stop, I would turn the table off and back on and the sound would be back to normal.
Now the sound is going out completely. Sometimes it works on startup sometimes it doesn’t. I have checked acouple things. I have tried the sound test switch, sometimes it works, sometimes i get some garbled noise or a 2 tone noise and some not at all.
I have reset all connections and i have also done a grounding test to the sound pins. Sometimes they work sometimes they dont.

Where should i go from here?
Thanks for the help.

2 months later
#5 4 years ago

Problems solved, This was a write up from Dan from Main Street Amusements in Lafayette Indiana.

Another Williams sound board back in action - hopefully! This one was a lot more work than the previous one. It's problem was intermittent, and intermittent problems are always tougher to track down. After verifying that the socketed chips were good the next step was to replace the AMI brand PIA chip. With a new PIA and socket installed the board was running its self test perfectly - until it wasn't. It ran for almost an hour and then started making random weird sounds.
After doing a bit of troubleshooting the next logical suspect was the RAM chip. And look, it's an AMI brand chip! AMI PIAs are garbage, so it's not too big of a jump to assume the same about their RAM chips. Replacing the 6810 RAM chip seems to have fixed the board, but because of the intermittent nature of the problem I'll start the self test and leave it running, for a l-o-n-g time.
Usually I just cut these old chips out, but to hopefully verify that it was indeed bad I removed the 6810 chip intact. After installing a new chip socket I re-installed the original 6810, and the intermittent problem was still present. Replacing the 6810 with a new one seems to have done the trick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rgarriott.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-intermittent-sound-issue?tu=rgarriott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.