6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by McSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I just booted my firepower II up after moving last month. When I did, magic smoke started coming out if the pinitech NVRAM module I had installed. Specifically the small chip on the underside of the NVRAM module was toast. Any idea what could have cause this? No other obvious damage, when it first booted it seemed fine. Burned up after about 30 seconds of being on. What should I check before installing new ram and booting again?

#3 6 years ago

thanks, I saw the note on his website. I shot him an email but don't expect a response til he returns.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the voltage with no chip in there, im not sure if i still have the original ram kicking around but ill look. No chance it was backwards though, it was working for a long time before the failure.

1 week later
#7 6 years ago

Update: I got a new NVRAM chip from Wayne. I pulled all the boards, searched for any obvious shorts or damage, found none, cleaned them and blew them off with an air compressor in case of metal dust short, put it all back together and measured the voltage at pin 22 of the empty socket with the game on. The reading stabilized at ~4.9v and then remained stable over some time, and a few reboots just to make sure. Later after much multimeter poking I installed the new NVRAM module. The game fired up after a reboot and now plays fine again. No idea what caused the issue. Maybe Wayne will be able to find something after he receives the burned up chip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 22.50
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-ii-nvram-burned-up?tu=McSquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.